This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't poke the bear

Maybe I'm sucky this week, but I gotta tell ya, I don't care.

So I'm in the middle of my 5-hour stint unravelling the scarf tornado when some lady walks by and says, "Oh, you're really busy over here." I say, "Yeah, it's a mess." (I don't know why, but statements from Captain Obvious that have no discernible purpose annoy me.) She then says, "Well, it's the holidays." So that excuses the throwing stuff everywhere?? <---in that vein of thinking, I simply state the truth: "It's a mess all the time." Because it is. I guess she doesn't like that, because she walks away mumbling.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

You get one too, Food Lady

Douglas said it best: "One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious.”
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

OK, I need to read that book.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You've missed out on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for THIS long? Poor girl.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Khiras, that was awesome- FoodLady you were very restrained & polite. People are just.... ... yeah.
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            You've missed out on "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for THIS long? Poor girl.
            If you want to watch it, try and get the original BBC 6 parter from the late 80s/early 90s. So much better than the movie that was done mid 2000's.
            Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

I haven't tried the TV series, did enjoy the movie, strongly favor the actual books.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

She went away mumbling because she didn't want to know that people are SLOBS when they're out in public.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  I haven't tried the TV series, did enjoy the movie, strongly favor the actual books.
                  You need to listen to the original radio broadcasts. They are brilliant and come a close second to the books.

Comment

Quoth tSubh Dearg View Post
                    You need to listen to the original radio broadcasts. They are brilliant and come a close second to the books.
                    And can all be found on Youtube atm. The full five books worth of them.

Comment

Yes. Yes, you do need to read the 6.1 book trilogy ^_^ Look for a collected edition, it will simplify things.

The TV series is a good way to get a head start on it; it's short, the characterizations fit in well with the books, and the "Guide entries" are pretty much verbatim from the books. It jumps straight from the first book into a chunk of the second, bypassing past of its storyline, in the process. Keep in mind that the "CGI graphics" in said entries were done with hand-drawn animation. They just LOOK like someone did them on a computer.

Pfft. Electronic books that allow you have vast amounts of useful (if sometimes apocyryphal ) information at your fingertips ... as if THAT could ever happen

One thing to keep in mind when checking out the various versions -- IIRC, Douglas Adams *mandated* that each adaptation intentionally break from the others in some ways. They are all, at least in part, inconsistent with one another on purpose.

PS, the old Infocom Hitchhiker's tex adventure game is available to play for free, legally, out there via web browser. Best not to mess with it until you REALLY know the books well, as you'll get massively spoilered. Game is tough as hell, too, and requires you to use the sort of logic that the universe it's set in would use. If there's any game out there where NOBODY will criticize you for keeping a hintbook/FAQ handy, it's this one.
                      Last edited by EricKei; 11-28-2014, 01:32 PM.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X