Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wonder why Disney changed the stories?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid, I had a bunch of Disney movies on VHS. I had the Disney version of The Little Mermaid, but I also had another animated version done by a different company (and for the life of me I can't remember who. I wish I did though. I'd track down a copy).

The other version was actually true to the original story, with the mermaid feeling pain when she walked, losing the prince to the other girl, being given the chance to save herself by killing him, and choosing to die instead. I preferred that version to the Disney one. It always seemed more grown-up to me.

I also had one (which might have been from the same company, though I'm not sure) about Snow White (didn't have the Disney version though). Once again, it followed the original story. The evil queen made the three attempts on Snow White's life instead of going straight to the apple and died via the shoes. I had seen the Disney version even though I didn't own it, and once again I preferred the other version.

Of course, I also had a book of fairy tales when I was a kid that included the story of Bluebeard, complete with illustrations (including one of the bodies of his previous wives hanging from the wall). The Bluebeard story was my favourite one of the bunch, again because it was the most grown-up one.

I don't know what all that says about me, other than I must've been a rather morbid little child.

Of course, it does go to show that kids can handle a lot more than their parents give them credit for. I liked the Disney versions of the stories, but I preferred the original versions because they weren't so sugary-sweet. They were a lot more mature and didn't try to shield kids from things.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

The R rating has become the mark of death as far as the movie industry is concerned. Thats why everything is being shoveled down to PG-13 or lower lately, because thats where the most money is and few studios give a shit about anything save the most money these days.

Even if they had wanted to stay closer to the original source material, their films would be no where near as successful due to the higher rating and less marketing appeal ( and thus merchandising ) to the one market that matters: Children and young adults.

Comment

The originals versus Disneyfied are so different from each other! Especially Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Can you imagine a Disney version of Les Miserables?
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
            Actually yes, yes I could. I have once read a Disney comic version of it (starring Scrooge McDuck as Jean Valjean) and could easily see how it could be adapted to an animated movie.

It would still be a very icky and off-canon adaptation, though.
            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
              Why not? They did "Hunchback of Notre Dame". lol!

So in Les Mis, Fontine and all the hookers would all be happy!
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                Didn't the original Red Riding Hood have the big bad wolf wanting to rape her?
                No. The original Red Riding Hood is an allegory for rape. The beautiful young maiden travels in the woods (the world in general, or streets of a city) alone and unsupervised. She talked to the Wolf (male stranger) and later he eats (rapes) her. It was meant to teach young girls about not talking to strangers because they'd get raped. But no one actually get raped in the story.

My favorite folk tales are the ones where some sort of fey or witch offers to do something kind in exchanged for something that seem innocuous but usually ends up being the person's child. Now a lot of the time it's a trick like, "The next thing born in your house" or "the first thing to greet you when you get home". However sometimes I really think it's pure stupid on the human's part. Like the creature says "I will give you a life time of riches in exchange for what is leaning beneath your apple tree." Guy never thinks to take a peek to see it's his son, not a rake resting against the tree.
                Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
                Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

Quoth terakhan View Post
                  One of my favorite examples is the video game Final Fantasy IV. In the unedited dialog, the phrase 'son of a bitch' is used. In the American release, that line becomes 'spoony bard'. Spoony having all the harshness that calling someone a fool can muster, of course.
                  It's one of the most legendary lines from a video game. At this point, I think the fans would be disappointed if they changed it back.
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth Fire_on_High View Post
                    It's one of the most legendary lines from a video game. At this point, I think the fans would be disappointed if they changed it back.
                    I think they did change it back in at least one later release. I'd have to check though.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                    X