This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning medals...

For once my Dad has actually asked me for something specific for Christmas!! He wants to sort out my grandfather's WWII medals, and he asked for some stuff to do so. He asked for a replacement Italy Star (we apparently lost Bill's own one in a house move at some point, maybe in 1999?), and new silks for all five (the Italy Star, France and Germany Star, Africa Star, War Medal and 1939-45 Star).

Now, I've acquired all this, and I'm quite pleased with this gift for him. I've never had a chance to examine my grandfather's medals, and I think the silk for the Africa Star is my favourite and my friend Hari noticed that the silk for the War Medal is the same as the ribbon for Help For Heroes ^^

So after much waffling (again) I've finally got to the point; whilst I'm pleased with the prospective gift, the medal I've received is a bit...tarnishy. I think it could do with a clean and a polish. How could I go about cleaning bronze is it? Sixty-odd-year-old bronze without damaging it, or making it too shiny (so it won't match the others)?

Many thanks
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Because it is a family heirloom I'm sure you wouldn't think about selling it...BUT after watching Antiques Roadshow I would be very hesitant to "clean" anything that old. Cleaning anything apparently strips 50% of value off antiques and leaves room to question authenticity. A quick google found me this site about cleaning medals.

Comment

It's not an antique yet is it? O.o

Thanks for the link. *goes to read* I think it does need a bit of a shine because there's an unsightly lump of tarnish right on the embossing in the middle. I did post to see if anyone had personal experience of cleaning them.

Comment

If you're going to get them cleaned, I'd say try and find someone who does it professionally, rather than attempt it yourself, as you could end up inadvertendly damaging them.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

^This.

I'd be very careful if you decide to clean them yourself. Not all metals will tolerate being scrubbed. You could damage the metal or even stain it worse. That's why my granddad's WWII-era (he fought in the Battle of the Bulge) medals were sent out to a professional. When they returned, we had them mounted in a shadowbox, fitted with a glass front.

Also, be careful if you choose to get them polished. If the medals are sent to someone who has never done that before, they can get damaged--scratches and even removing details, if someone is careless with the wheel.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think your best bet here would be to contact the Army, tell them what you're doing, and ask them what they recommend. I can well imagine this sort of thing comes up pretty often, and they will want your grandfather remembered and honored fittingly.

Comment

And if you want help getting a nice shadow box for them, let me know - the exchange on base has a selection of decent ones in their catalog - i could get some images and prices for you. I like the ones that have the space for a folded funerary/retirement flag.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Thanks all, I knew I could count on the collective fount of wisdom. I'm going to give them to me pa as-is, then see what he wants to do with the green blob as well as compare it to the four he has stashed away. We can look for a professional prettifyer then.

Comment

Working...
                X