• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be worse, I suppose...
    Attached Files

Comment

Here you go. Lock de-icer.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

^ yah but since SC wanted to pitch a fit he needs to come prepared if he needs propane that badly

Comment

Warm WD40 goes a long way. Prevents the re-icing.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            This. I knew one rocket scientist who had thick ice all over her car windshield. Her solution? Pour BOILING water on it. It did remove the ice as the windshield completely shattered under it...
            I've heard that pouring hot water on a windshield is normally self-defeating, but why did the boiling water shatter the windshield? Is it the rapid change in temperature or something else?
            Last edited by Alpha Strike; 02-21-2017, 07:56 PM.
            Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

Simple physics. As (most) materials get cold, they shrink slightly, and they expand when they get hot. There are exceptions but glass is not one of them.

A sudden, large temperature change - such as pouring on water that's probably 200+ degrees hotter than the glass - will cause a rapid expansion of the material. But since the heat isn't applied evenly across the entire windshield, the areas that got the hot water will expand before the rest of the windshield and ....*shatter*
              "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                Simple physics. As (most) materials get cold, they shrink slightly, and they expand when they get hot. There are exceptions but glass is not one of them.
                It's this and the fact that you're heating up a fragile material VERY quickly and to an extreme temperature. Lukewarm water would probably be OK but very hot or boiling water is just asking for trouble...

Just remember kids, glass is a liquid...

Comment

Also a windshield is tempered glass, which complicates the problem of sudden temperature changes.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Dunk the lock in isopropyl alcohol. Doesn't freeze until about -128 degrees and also displaces water.
                    If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                    --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      Just remember kids, glass is a liquid...
                      No, it's an amorphic solid. The "glass is a liquid" is a myth.
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                      X