This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC's laughable observation

At my store, we got this one really loud foreign guy. I don't know what nationality he is, but he has a really thick accent. The part that annoys me about him is that he rattles nonstop from the time he arrives until the time he leaves. He does not understand the concept of quiet. It doesn't matter what I'm doing when he arrives, he just starts talking and does not shut up. I've long since learned just to tune such customers out, so he sometimes gets asked to repeat himself because I was busy and didn't hear him the first time.

So, today he tells me that I must have an easy job. He explains that he works as a janitor. As he told it to me, all he does all day is push a broom or mop around on the floor. I just looked at him funny and laughed. He asked what was so funny about that. I asked him if he has to deal with the public. He said no, all he does is clean. I asked if he's ever worked customer service. He said no. I asked if he ever deals with a demanding, unsympathetic public. He said no. I just laughed again. I don't think he understood my laughter, but I tried to explain what it's like to deal with the public, especially entitlement-minded customers. He still said he thought it would be easier. All I could say was, "Yeah, okay, go on believing that one."

I'd love to just push around a broom or mop all day if it got me out of the headache of fielding complaints of entitlement whores.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

My assigned doctor with my HMO was from India, and he's got to be the loudest person I have ever been within earshot of. I've only ever been seen by the guy once (thank $deity), but that was enough to make me never want to be in the same room with him ever again. While waiting, I could hear him in the next exam room, talking to whoever he was examining. I could hear everything he said, clearly, and it was loud for me through the wall. When he got to me, I was actually wincing from the volume of his voice. It gave me a headache in two minutes, it was that bad. He was completely and utterly oblivious to the fact he was that loud.

I was telling this to a friend once, and they told me that he was probably from Bombay (I think that was the city) and that pretty much everybody there was incredibly loud because of all the noise of the city.

I have no idea if that's the case or if he just had some strange hearing disorder, but I do know that I'm very glad that I got assigned a new doctor at some point, although I've never seen that one, yet, and don't know that I will anytime soon.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      My assigned doctor with my HMO was from India, and he's got to be the loudest person I have ever been within earshot of. I've only ever been seen by the guy once (thank $deity), but that was enough to make me never want to be in the same room with him ever again. While waiting, I could hear him in the next exam room, talking to whoever he was examining. I could hear everything he said, clearly, and it was loud for me through the wall. When he got to me, I was actually wincing from the volume of his voice. It gave me a headache in two minutes, it was that bad. He was completely and utterly oblivious to the fact he was that loud.

I was telling this to a friend once, and they told me that he was probably from Bombay (I think that was the city) and that pretty much everybody there was incredibly loud because of all the noise of the city.

I have no idea if that's the case or if he just had some strange hearing disorder, but I do know that I'm very glad that I got assigned a new doctor at some point, although I've never seen that one, yet, and don't know that I will anytime soon.

^-.-^
      Maybe the reason Bombay is so loud is because they all shout all the time? And I think it might be called Mumbai now. Any geography nuts back me up on this?

Anyhoo, I understand about the loud foreigners. My mother's family are Eastern European and they all shout all the time, so to outsiders it sounds like everyone is always arguing even they're not.

It's very hard on the nerves and I'm glad I don't visit very often. (Last visit 2001 and counting )
      Total surrender
      Your touch is so tender
      Your skin is like water on a burning beach
      And it brings me relief
      "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

it is mumbai.

that's one of two things i hate about anyone, along with invading my space.

i can hear you just fine and we're not buds, so step the hell off already.
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          While waiting, I could hear him in the next exam room, talking to whoever he was examining. I could hear everything he said, clearly, and it was loud for me through the wall.
          Privacy Violation anyone?

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
            it is mumbai.

that's one of two things i hate about anyone, along with invading my space.

i can hear you just fine and we're not buds, so step the hell off already.
            Yes, those things certainly annoy me, too. I'm also annoyed by the ones who want to volunteer every sordid little detail of their lives, or ask me 20 questions about myself or coworkers.
            The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Somewhat related to the topic.

About two weeks ago a friend and I were sitting in the student commons studying for a Japanese test. The commons were quiet at the time, maybe 10 people in there. A few tables away there is a loud (He echoed) adult Turkish man going on about basketball and a school we lost to.

"I can't believe that we lost to Northwestern! I mean for crying out loud it's a nerd school! Nerds hate sports!"

My friend looks at me for a few seconds, and for some reason we just started giggling like mad.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I haven't noticed any particular ethnicity being loud here. Here it seems to be almost all old men that feel the need to shout everything.

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                About two weeks ago a friend and I were sitting in the student commons studying for a Japanese test. The commons were quiet at the time, maybe 10 people in there. A few tables away there is a loud (He echoed) adult Turkish man going on about basketball and a school we lost to.
                I think you meant football? The 2007-08 NCAA basketball season hasn't started yet.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  I think you meant football? The 2007-08 NCAA basketball season hasn't started yet.
                  Huh! I don't follow basketball and we definitely don't have a football team. I wonder what sport it was then. Either way that guy was amusing.
                  The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

If I recall correctly, they changed it back to Mumbai because 'Bombay' is from the days of British colonialism (Bombay is an anglicized version of the original Portuguese name).
                    /endhistorylesson
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                    X