X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Argabarga View Post
    I hope ya'll y'ins appreciate the investigative journalism
    FTFY

Thanks for tracking down the details, a hoot of a story.

I know you've mentioned it elsewhere, but how long do you have to wait before you scrap out that car and recoup a little of the tow charge?

Comment

Is it just me, or is an SC's (or other orifice's) threat of a lawyer inversely proportional to their legal leg to stand on?
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        FTFY

Thanks for tracking down the details, a hoot of a story.

I know you've mentioned it elsewhere, but how long do you have to wait before you scrap out that car and recoup a little of the tow charge?
        It'll probably be here until the end of the year.

And yes, just once, I'd like to be threatened with a lawyer by someone who looks like they could actually afford one. And not in the "one will be appointed by the court" kind of way.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Glad to see that - at least in the original case - the SC got shut down fairly quickly. One could almost admire the brass balls it takes to try something like this, if the people in question weren't such awful human beings.

One has to wonder how often this happens in reality. I had read about a case in FL, in which the squatters had actually moved into the house of the service member and had refused to leave. To make it worse, the cops actually refused to do anything about - they claimed it was a civil matter. It appears that the situation was resolved soon after the story went public it was shocking to see that things could go this far.
          Be a winner today: Pick a fight with a 4 year old.

Comment

I read about a case in Watsonville CA where a house buyer, unable to find an affordable property in the area (it's on the coast), found an abandoned house he thought he could fix up. He tracked down the owner, who lived in a shabby trailer and tried to buy the property. The crotchety old man refused to sell, refused to rent the property.

So the prospective buyer, realized he was dealing with a crank who rarely left his wreck of a trailer, decided to move into the house anyway. He fixed the place up, got utilities in his name, published his address at the house. A few years later (3 I think might have been 7) he filed in court to get the deed and title to the property under California's adverse possession law. He got it.

He basically got a very valuable property for free because the owner wasn't interested enough in it to save it.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

And, that's all and good for him, problem is, morons like Mr. Bad Neighbor hear about that, and, in typical heard it from-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend-of-the-dog-next-door kind of way, by the time he hears about it, most of the vital facts have been lost along the way, and those that haven't are ignored by him, so all he hears is.... "Claim property when owner isn't around, and it's YOURS! No questions asked!"

And then we get the scenario that played out.

Fortunately, he seems to be a very unmotivated pest and hasn't caused further trouble, problem with self-proclaimed legal/social experts like these is they tend to keep insisting they "know" they're in the right, even as the number of agencies who line up telling him he isn't grows, and grows.

More troubling, there's always that one that insists we're the bad guys.... we're all oppressing his freedoms that he KNOWS he's entitled to, and INSISTS he's in the right... all the way up to the violent shoot-out.

Thankfully, this guy's just your typical fat, dumb, obnoxious idiot, who'll spend his days now on down at the tavern railing about how his great and 100% legal plan to steal his neighbors stuff was done in by Da Man (tm) who had it out for him again.....
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

In a town that small? I do not think so. Half of the town will "disinherit" him. The rest will not go so far, but will roll their eyes as he walks by. I would be surprised if the local tavern will even let him in the door (70/30 in favor of at least one local business "banning" him).
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

The marina had some fun with zoning. We got our place re-zoned, and we got some property that we had been renting for years. We were debating whether to ask for back-rent or not.

Then the guy got pissy, and got his own zoner, who gave us even MORE of the rented property.

He just gave in at that point.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                    it's not a very smart idea to tangle with someone who's been trained to fight kill.
                    Fixed that for you. Minor point that some people might overlook.
                    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
                      Fixed that for you. Minor point that some people might overlook.
                      Yeah, don't be fooled by that dazzling smile. He can kill you with no remorse and dispose of the body so your family will never know what happened.

Or in the case of a retired spy, he can either do it himself or has friends who will b/c they owe him a favor.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                      X