This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't enough money, but let me off paying the extra

This SC for some reason thinks that we're running a charity, not a business. She put twenty pounds and ten pence into her car and came in to pay with just the twenty pound note.

"I went over and I don't have the extra," she said. "Couldn't you just let me off?"

"I'm sorry, but I can't," I replied. "If you don't have the rest of the money, I'll have to fill out a form."

"What, just ten measly pence!" she said, angrily. "How petty can you get?"

So I'm supposed to just let you off not paying for your petrol, then? No chance. I could get into trouble if the till is off, bitch. I told her she had to pay the ten pence, so she dug around in her handbag, brought out a ten pence piece and slammed it down.

"I'm never coming back!"

Yeah, yeah, promises, promises... See you next week.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

If you did it for her, you'd have to do it for everybody. After a while, it adds up. Ten pence here, twenty there, at the end of the day, your till is £20 short! So no, Madame, we can't spot you the extra money! Pay attention to what you're doing next time!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What a hypocrite. She's standing there accusing YOU of being petty yet she's being petty for refusing to pay the 10 pence when it's in her purse anyway!

Comment

If it was only a penny than fair enough, but 10 pence? No way! She should have been paying more attention whilst filling up.

Comment

I've let people off a penny before cuz we have a penny collection (people who leave their penny change) but only if they're nice and don't expect it. The SCs, like this woman, who think we should just let them off the excess when they go over, can just get stuffed. If you only have a certain amount of money, then just stay under; ie put in £19.99.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

One more reason to go pre-pay only...
            Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth mhkohne View Post
              One more reason to go pre-pay only...
              Fraid not. Corporate wouldn't allow it, for the reason that coming in to pay fuel gets customers buying other crap as well and seeing as we only make £1 out of every £30 of petrol sold, it's store crap that makes our profits. People come in to pay for their fuel and make impulse buys like chocolate, cigarettes etc that they wouldn't have bought if they just paid at the pump. Also, it would cost money for the pumps to be converted and seeing as head office won't even pay out for new pumps which we sorely need, it's not very likely. Finally, in the part of the world where I live, pay at the pump is about as rare as seeing a winged unicorn.
              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post

"I'm sorry, but I can't," I replied.
                But they let me do it last time!

Comment

Fraid not. Corporate wouldn't allow it, for the reason that coming in to pay fuel gets customers buying other crap as well and seeing as we only make £1 out of every £30 of petrol sold, it's store crap that makes our profits. People come in to pay for their fuel and make impulse buys like chocolate, cigarettes etc that they wouldn't have bought if they just paid at the pump. Also, it would cost money for the pumps to be converted and seeing as head office won't even pay out for new pumps which we sorely need, it's not very likely. Finally, in the part of the world where I live, pay at the pump is about as rare as seeing a winged unicorn.
                  Pre-pay doesn't have to mean at the pump - you can do pre-pay inside as well. Thought I will note that much of the US is pre-pay at the pump, and our c-stores still do well.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Yeah, but the UK is very different from the US as I'm sure you'll find if you ever visit us.

Anyway, those aren't my reasons, but head office's reasons, and they say NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. XD
                    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Corporate is making excuses. Drive offs here in the US forced most gas stations to go to pre-pay only. The stores are almost always crowded.

Sounds like this one is one for Morons in Management as well.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The same thing happens to me (pizza delivery) often enough.

Sorry but that 10 cents (10 pence in your case) adds up to enough money over time and number of customers and MY margins (gas , insurance, repairs/maintenance , misc. that come out of MY pocket) are slim enough that it would make a difference.

Sorry but YES you still have to come up with that quarter for the WHOLE order total.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I hate that crap. We have a certain brand of smokes that total out to 6.02. Yeah its. 02cents but at the end of the night after 30 people stiff me it adds up

Comment

I get that at the grocery store as well. I've kicked in an extra few cents from my own pocket for special cases (guy was buying a couple roses at ten to close on Valentines Day and forgot about the tax on flowers, nice regular customer paying with foodstamps was ten cents short on her card and had no cash), but some SCs just expect that we either have a penny jar (we don't, the pennies I decide to kick in I bring from home because I have way too many) or we can 'just let it go' (we can't, I'll get audited if they see a pattern).
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I think a lot of people have the mindset of "big evil corporation, they can afford it". Actually, tills are counted and if they come up short, there's hell to pay. Trying to swinge on your fuel payment is NOT "sticking it to the man", it's making trouble for the lowly cashier who has nothing to do with fuel prices or how expensive groceries are. Ironic that these people are part of the reason why prices go up.
                              My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                              X