Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make this new stuff work with my old stuff!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make this new stuff work with my old stuff!!

It never ceases to amaze me how people expect their stuff, especially technology to always, always work no matter what.

Me: Thank you for calling <red checkmark>, how may I help you?
    SC: This games app I use doesn't work anymore! You need to fix it for me!!
    Me: I'll certainly do what I can, when did it stop working?
    SC: A couple of days ago, it said I needed to update and when I tried to update it told me my phone wasn't compatible. That's bullshit, this isn't an old phone!
    Me: I see here you've had the phone since early 2010.
    SC: Right! NOT old!
    Me: Ok, What's the name of this app you're trying to use?
    SC: Super Duper Games Zone 3

(Upon investigation it turns out that Super Duper Games Zone 3 now requires a minimum of Android 4.0 to run. This guy is running 2.2. For those who may be unaware the difference between android 2.2 and 4.0+ is roughly the same as the difference between Windows 98 and Windows 7. In other words, BIG difference)

Me: Ok, sir. Super Duper Games Zone 3 requires Android 4.0 and up. Unfortunately your phone can only be upgraded to 2.3.6.
    SC: What the hell does that mean?
    Me: It means that you won't be able to use this app until you get another phone.
    SC: And are you going to send me another phone?
    Me: I can look into your upgrade options if you like, since you've had the phone so long I'm sure you're probably eligible to get something newer.
    SC: I'm not paying for a new phone. I want a phone that works, that plays games. Make my phone work.
    Me: I can't.
    SC: WHAT?!
    Me: I can't make your phone work.
    SC: Then find me someone who can!
    Me: No one can sir, your phone can not handle the update necessary to play those games.
    SC: Then how the hell am I supposed to play them?
    Me: The only way to keep playing would be to get a more recent phone.
    SC: I already told you this phone isn't old!
    Me: Well not chronologically, no, but three plus years is quite awhile where phone technology is concerned. Your phone just can't handle these games anymore.
    SC: I do NOT accept that. I'm paying you for a service, either you make the service work or send me a phone that works.
    Me: You pay us for your calling, messaging and data services. All of those are working right now.
    SC: No they're not! I can't get into my games!
    Me: Just because that particular game doesn't work doesn't mean your services are messed up. Your phone software is out of date.
    SC: No it isn't! Make it work!
    Me: I can't
    SC: Make it work!
    Me: Unless you upgrade your phone, there's no way to play the games.
    SC: I ain't paying a penny more. You hear me? Not one penny. Not for a phone, not for fees, not for nothing.
    Me: Then there is absolutely nothing I can do.
    SC: Fix my phone!
    Me: Your phone isn't broken sir, it's just outdated.
    SC: That's it! I've had it with you people! I pay for a service and I expect that service. You're denying me my service! You're in violation of the contract! I'll sue for you for this!!
    Me: Since you have now threatened legal action, I can no longer continue this call. Please hold for our legal department.

I had another one in a similar vein except that in that case her phone could actually be updated to a recent enough software version to handle the app she wanted to run. The problem? She would have to gasp! - plug the phone up to a computer to download the update.

Because god forbid she'd have to actually like, do some work for it.

She didn't threaten legal action but she sure was pissed.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd
    I had another one in a similar vein except that in that case her phone could actually be updated to a recent enough software version to handle the app she wanted to run. The problem? She would have to gasp! - plug the phone up to a computer to download the update.
    You mean you don't have any tech fairies she can download to the air to do all her downloading for her? For shame

My cat could probably figure out how to connect the USB cable to the laptop, plug up the iPhone, open iTunes and away we go.

She should have gotten a dumber phone - nobody should have a phone that's smarter than THEY are!
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

That first guy

The second one - talk about lazy...
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I bet

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
        You mean you don't have any tech fairies she can download to the air to do all her downloading for her?
        If there was a way to update over the air, she probably would complain about having to press so many keys.

Comment

I wasn't aware Google Play was dumb enough to install an update to an app that would make said app incompatible. Google should be smarter than that.

Good thing I never update my apps.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
            SC: This games app I use doesn't work anymore! You need to fix it for me!!
            SC: No it isn't! Make it work!
            SC: Make it work!
            SC: Fix my phone
            Why am I reminded of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCniMXdbO6c

Comment

You could have saved yourself a lot of grief by saying upfront that "if you wan to play the game you're going to have to pay more."

Of course he'll get upset when the subject turns to money but so what?! Do you care about this guy? Of course you don't. And when he does refuse to pay anything more, you turn to your hammer weapon of repeating "you don't get what you want being a freeloader in th country" (or basically a job keeping variation of that) until they finally shut up. Declare victory and move on.

Comment

Going through a variation of this right now.

In the old elementary building a couple of years ago, we had really old systems (286 on up to 486) running a DOS version of a reading program. During that break, we started consolidation of 3 buildings into 2. I was instructed to remove any old tech downwards of the newer P4 and Core 2 systems, and do away with the old program.

Shouldn't be a problem; we had another reading program that was compatible with Windows 7 and our current machines. Right...

I still am asked about from teachers when we're getting (old program) back. It's probably not going to happen - the DOS version and the Windows version I found this year hiding out ( ) aren't supported anymore. The company has moved on to an online version of the software, and, while it'll support our 1-1 initiative devices, it's very expensive for the number of students they want to use it with.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                  I wasn't aware Google Play was dumb enough to install an update to an app that would make said app incompatible. Google should be smarter than that.

Good thing I never update my apps.
                  Play store IS that smart, however, if the dev screwed up the manifest, then play store wouldn't know.

Also, it may be something that does on-line play and refuses to work anymore, but he can't actually update. Either way, he needs to chill out and bugbthe devs, not the OP.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Sounds about right.

Wish I had an mp3 of this. It's just about right...

Mr. Compatibility
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You need to make it so my telex can receive emails, you want me to just throw it out and get a computer! BALDERDASH! I paid a LOT of money for it! And at 35 years old, it's not THAT old!
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

What a douche. They throw the word 'service' around like it's going out of fashion and expect you to bend over backwards. Talk about entitled. And as for the second one... lol. Just lol.

Comment

Man, that person sounds about 2 years old. They're giving them phones younger and younger these days...

Comment

Just getting this straight - it sounds like this guy had a game working on that phone, and then after an update to the game it would no longer work on the phone.

I will admit, that's rather sucky. That's also not your fault, but dummy couldn't understand that.

It may be a bit late to complain to Google about allowing that sort of update to proceed, but said complaint might help keep it from happening again, to him or others.

A complaint to the game app manufacturer might potentially yield fruit; they might send a .APK of the older version.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                              SC: A couple of days ago, it said I needed to update and when I tried to update it told me my phone wasn't compatible. That's bullshit, this isn't an old phone!
                              Me: I see here you've had the phone since early 2010.
                              SC: Right! NOT old!
                              For a human, no. For technology, yes. Listen to the words of the wise man, Alfred Yankovic:
                              My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
                              But it was obsolete before I opened the box
                              You say you've had your desktop for over a week?
                              Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique
                              Your laptop is a month old? Well that's great
                              If you could use a nice, heavy paperweight
                              Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              She should have gotten a dumber phone - nobody should have a phone that's smarter than THEY are!
                              I guess that would be one of these. Or possibly two tin cans and a long piece of string.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X