Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sure, let me just get congress to move that holiday for you...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
    Me: Yes, now I may be able to give you a credit to help cover the costs of gas to get there and back if you like.
    SC: What I'd like is for you to help out a loyal customer like me get a phone today without having to drive 45 miles. That's so stupid, I mean can't you like, call the manager of the store two blocks away and explain this situation to him and work something out?
    I sort of felt sorry for the guy up until this point.

Yeah, that's a fairly long drive for a phone. But it's a holiday weekend, you offered a fair compromise, and if you need it that badly, suck it up.

Comment

Does not know how lucky he was.

Dude,
      This guy had it easy and did not know it.

I am on vacation, first stop was Quebec City for three days. On Sunday night June 29 I found my car had a flat tire in the underground parking.

Called CAA - Got Ontario CAA who could not help since I was in Quebec but gave me the number for the Quebec branch.

Called CAA - Got messages in French only! I may have did it wrong!

Called another CAA number - After a trouble (very little really) got an English speaker who told me that it was too late for the CAA to deliver my car as the garages were all closed after 8 PM. Gave me the number to call in the morning at 7 AM.

Monday June 30 (The date is important). Called CAA at 7 AM and told them I was in underground parking, driver was to pick me up at the hotel. 8:30 AM driver called to say he could not get thru the narrow streets of old Quebec City and to meet him at the parking lot. 9:15 AM (about) the driver arrives, his truck will not fit even though I had told the dispatcher more than once that it was underground parking.

Okay, he tries to help me install the temp spare tire, one of the nuts was stripped! We could not get it off, he had to go elsewhere to get a special head to get it off! Finally the tire is changed, I give him a $20 tip as he really had to work to get that nut off

Now I drive to a local garage that has great reviews on Google Maps.

It is closed, the second one is close, the third one is closed. Find the local Canadian tire, they are booked all day, they can not look at it till Wednesday! Fourth garage is closed, fifth garage is closed but a friendly person there points across the street to an open garage.

Go there, English speaker (ex-army too), they look at my tire right away - side-wall damage, they can not repair it! They call around, they can not get the tire until Wednesday either. They suggest I check if Canadian Tire has it in stock. They write me a note in French to make it easier for the French staff to understand my exact needs.

Go to Canadian Tire, they don't have tire in the store but they can get it delivered inside two hours, order and pay for the tire. Two hours to kill, we go to a nice Greek place and order lunch. Have to wait for the cooking and just as the food arrives the phone rings to say the tire arrived. So I leave my friend at the table, get the tire and take it to the open garage, get the tire installed. Then go and pick up my friend and leaving the city to go whale watching 8 hours later than planned.

Tip $20, Tire $194, Installation of new tire $43, cold lunch for me $50 paid by my friend.

Please note I did not include taxes, I don't want to scare off all you rich American tourists.

What is going on.

July 1 - Canada Day a nation holiday.
      July 3 - Quebec Day - A city holiday.

Unlike every other province in Canada, Quebeckers personally choose whether to celebrate Canada Day on June 30, July 1 or July 2. And I am sure many choose more than one day anyway. Add in Quebec Day on July 3th and you have the perfect storm of closed garages.

So that was last week, I will not go into this week. Let us just say thunderstorms and big tents means using every inch of rope you have. And it is the season for BUGS!

Add note on July 3-:
      Picture a modern, yet historic city taken over by a music festival and 1.5 million festivalgoers. Twelve indoor and outdoor stages on which a string of international superstars along with top new talent play for a full 11 days! All this right in the heart of Québec City. 2014 line-up: Billy Joel, Lady Gaga, The Killers, Bryan Adams, Soundgarden, Journey, Queens of the Stone Age, Snoop Dog, Local Natives, Three Days Grace, Daniel Lanois, Cypress Hill, Gogol Bordello, Tiken Jah Fakoly, St.Vincent, John Mayall, Father John Misty and many more!

PS: I did see whales, lots of whales but it took work.

Comment

I've been to Quebec City. I can indeed picture it
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Back in the day before computer record saturation, I lost my W2 form just days before taxes were due.

The only way to get another was a round-trip 90 mile drive to HQ where they could print me a new one.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, and in the end, I found it kind of funny.

If I didn't want to do that, I shouldn't have lost my forms.

If being without his phone for a couple days really is an "Emergency" then he should have no problems taking drastic emergency measures to rectify it. If he won't, then it wasn't a real emergency, was it?
          Last edited by Argabarga; 07-04-2014, 03:26 PM.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
            Holy cow! You offered to compensate for gas???? You are the angel of the cell phone call center group! I'd be bending over to kiss your feet if you made that offer to me under the circumstances. Sure it would suck to have to drive 90 miles round trip, but if I need my phone that bad, well then I make the drive. Why don't I ever get offers like that? Oh, right. I'm not generally a bitch. *sigh*
            I didn't offer it to him because he was angry, I offered it both as an attempt to break the stalemate to end the call sooner and, despite his massive SCness on that call, he actually did have a decent history with us and didn't seem to have a track record for being a douche. I wouldn't have offered it to someone who had only been with us two years and missed five payments.

We are allowed to offer those credits in certain instances, but the you'd probably be surprised at how many people turn them down!

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
            Stupid question, a bit off-topic... Let's say I broke my phone and urgently needed access. If I went out and purchased one of those cheap pay-as-you-go phones and a few minutes for it, could I have my number forwarded to that phone?
            Yep, just takes a few minutes to set up.
            Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 07-04-2014, 03:42 PM.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'd have turned down the 45-mile round trip, but only because I can't drive*. What I might have asked as a compromise situation was a credit for the cheapest phone I could get at the nearby store.

Of course, like half the commenters in this thread, I have my old phone as a backup.

* it's medically unsafe for me to drive.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I have a google number that forwards to the cells of myself and my husband. If I ever need a cheap phone temporarily, all I have to do is login to my google voice account and add a phone number to forwards to. Works for me.

Comment

Quoth NYTCRAWLER94 View Post
                  My cell phone from your company recently had that same issue, almost (battery died, but it wouldn't charge, and the few times it DID turn on, it was locked up).

I was SO afraid I was going to have to call to get support, but....Being the techie that I am, I wanted to try and see if pulling the battery for a few would do the trick (which it did, thankfully)

Still, I can understand the frustration he was feeling
                  I cant. I bet wherever he works, there are policies which must be adhered to. No one gets to press magic buttons and merlin people's wishes into existence. Oh and red check is NOT the manufacturer. If you want to hassle the party responsible, at least pick the right one. Carriers facilitate warranty exchanges as a courtesy, they aren't required to.

Comment

Working...
                  X