This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Card Applicant from Hades

It's my 5th or 6th week working retail. I work at a large discount retailer and they like us to try and get customers to sign up for their credit card. I asked my first neanderthal customer of the day if she wanted to save 10% by opening a [Company] credit card, per the little script taped to all the registers, and she says yes, so I hand her the application and tell her what to do. Since I'm new, the front end coordinator came over to supervise me and make sure I was putting everything in right, which I did.

I finished inputting everything and her application isn't approved. The coordinator explains this to her, and says we can't apply the 10% discount without approval. Customer is PISSED. She goes on and on, saying, "I spent 20 minutes because I thought I was going to get the discount," "she [the cashier, i.e. me] told her I would save 10%," "you should tell her [me] not to say that, she LIED" (and yes, she did straight-up accuse me of lying; also, I know it didn't take 20 minutes because I hadn't even been at the register for 20 minutes by the time this was over with). Meanwhile, the manager has been called up and I'm thinking, OH GOD, just give her the discount so she'll STFU. Bear in mind this was a $22 purchase, so she was throwing a tantrum over all of $2.20. I kind of backed off, since my bosses were there and I don't make enough money to deal with this shit. General impatience I can deal with, but accusing me of lying? Uh, NO.

The manager came up and apologized (even though no one did anything wrong), but didn't give her the discount. She actually backed me up and said to the customer, "You don't need to be cruel." Finally, Ms. Crankypants leaves after repeating a few of the same lines she used earlier, and kind of saunters around with her posse of friends. Oh, and she had a newborn in a carrier with her. Jesus, I feel sorry for that kid. The manager whispers in my ear, "If she doesn't leave right now I'm going to make her leave." Thankfully they walked out right after.

I've had a couple snippy people but this was my first real experience with a customer's tantrum. Thankfully, 99% of the people I deal with are fine. Oh well, guess my first time is over with.

Sad to say it won't be your last dealing with tantrums. How customers feel that it's ok to rip a cashier to shreds cause they're not getting their way amazes me. They need to just deal with it & move on. It aint the cashier's fault!!

Comment

Who signs up for a credit card to save $2.20? I've certainly signed up to save money before, but only when I'm buying something big.

Comment

Customers are REALLY good at selective hearing. They hear what they want, no matter what we've said. As a fellow cashier, I've had to learn how to word things just right so that they understand. In a nice way, of course - that's the tricky part I know exactly what you mean about wanting them to STFU though. I do give in from time to time on small amounts just so I don't have to deal with their arguments even though I know I'm right and they're not.
        Last edited by MelindaJoy77; 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM.
        Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth rudeawakening View Post
          The manager ... actually backed me up and said to the customer, "You don't need to be cruel."
          A big for your manager for sticking up for you! I hope her wording drove the point home for the SC.

Yeah, that customer was a nasty one. Fortunately, the truly nasty ones are few and far between. Unfortunately, what they lack in quantity, they more than make up for in quality nastiness.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Wow, she dinged her credit report so she could potentially save $2.20? Talk about a dumb move!

Hope she doesn't come back.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
              Who signs up for a credit card to save $2.20? I've certainly signed up to save money before, but only when I'm buying something big.
              It's 20%. That's the number the suckstomer sees/hears. The real savings is irrelevant to that number. That's why stores give discounts to get customers to sign up for store cards. It's actually a big money maker for stores because it encourages customers to spend more.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Wow, she dinged her credit report so she could potentially save $2.20? Talk about a dumb move!
              Considering that the application was denied, I'd say she has a lot more dings on her credit report than this one . . . hence the denied application.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

If what I am thinking is right, it's Wall Shart for a clientele that makes more money.

And if I *AM* right, I know your pain. I used to work for the same company as well.
                If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  Considering that the application was denied, I'd say she has a lot more dings on her credit report than this one . . . hence the denied application.
                  Oh, sure, but who needs another one when the credit report already sucks?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

What a bitch. I'm glad your manager backed you up!

Comment

Look, JUST because I own the Underworld doesn't mean I own the stupid people...

This wasn't MY fault, I swear!

Comment

It seems to me that a near 20% interest is the last thing she needs.

If no one was around, I used to say that to customers when I got the prompt. "You can save 5% (yes, only 5) if you sign up for our Scarlet Card, which has an interest rate of only 20%!"

No we didn't have a quota at that time.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Oh, sure, but who needs another one when the credit report already sucks?
                          I've found that a lot of those with not great credit stop caring. They'll apply a hundred different cards just to save money. Credit be damned.

Comment

Quoth Employee28567 View Post
                            It seems to me that a near 20% interest is the last thing she needs.

If no one was around, I used to say that to customers when I got the prompt. "You can save 5% (yes, only 5) if you sign up for our Scarlet Card, which has an interest rate of only 20%!"

No we didn't have a quota at that time.
                            It's actually above 20%, or was at the last time I actually heard a number amount.

That was before I walked off the job in 2011.
                            If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Working...
                            X