This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
    Welcome and I agree with notalwaysright about why he didn't notice for so long. Who uses DVDs anymore?

I do.

I have recovery DVD set for Ducky (the Toshiba laptop) that I've had to use a time or two due to a massive screwup (short version: Norton tech remoted in to help clean up laptop and had a brief power failure which resulted in Windows 7 becoming unstable and, as a result had to break out restore DVD set to reformat. )

I also burn movies on DVD as well on occasion and make mix music CD's for my Mom to listen to on her stereo, so yep an optical drive is my friend.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth raw1989 View Post
      I cant even tell u the last time I used a computer....I use my smart phone for everything
      A surpriseing amount of people do that. I refuse to use my phone for anything other than phoning, Texting, Twitter and making fun of people on Grindr.

...And the occasional dick pic.

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      I do.

I have recovery DVD set for Ducky (the Toshiba laptop) that I've had to use a time or two due to a massive screwup
      I actually PREFER recovery DVDs to those flash drives you have to make now. Not to mention many manufacturers force you to make the recovery USB stick off the windows built in recovery thing which is a pile of crap. The proprietary ones like what HP use are much better.
      -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
        A surpriseing amount of people do that. I refuse to use my phone for anything other than phoning, Texting, Twitter and making fun of people on Grindr.
        It's interesting how differently everyone uses technology. On a daily basis I use my laptop, my tablet, my Kindle (just e-reader, not the Kindle Fire), and my phone. In a pinch I could use my phone for everything, but I don't want to. I have no idea why, I just like having everything separate. I use some DVDs for movies but I watch them on my tv, not my laptop. I almost never just sit and watch a movie without doing something else, so if I watched something on my laptop, I'd have to have my tablet or phone so I could do something while the movie was on.

I cannot stand reading on anything backlit, and I'll only do so if I'm trapped somewhere without my Kindle. I was even reading that the Kindle Paperwhite does not allow you to completely turn off the light, so when I need to replace my old Touch, I will have to get the cheaper option. Oh, I have a younger relative who almost can't function on anything without a touch screen, and can't even use Microsoft Word. I have another little kid relative who just asks her mom/dad's phone everything. Not by typing, but the voice command. She actually comes up with some interesting questions, and it keeps her occupied.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I actually PREFER recovery DVDs to those flash drives you have to make now. Not to mention many manufacturers force you to make the recovery USB stick off the windows built in recovery thing which is a pile of crap. The proprietary ones like what HP use are much better.
          So do I, as some laptops have it built into a partition of the HDD, which is the case with Gypsy (the Dell Inspiron w/Vista.)

I have an image saved on that partition but in order to use it, I have to go into the DOS and activate the administrator account, then use that account to run the Recovery under the Repair Your Computer Options (after pressing down F8 continuously while the laptop is booting and hope it takes, which is a 50/50 chance I have to reboot and try again.)

At least my Toshiba has a built in utility program that allows you to make a recovery DVD set, which was the first thing I did when I booted it up for the very first time after I bought it 5 or 6 years ago now. Best two hours I spent that night and it has saved me a migraine or two over time.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Well my husband has a pile of books in front of my computer so with that being said...I just avoid it if I need one ill get on my sons computer and do what I need to do, I have been thinking im getting my self and the kids an ipad with taxes maybe so we will see.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
              but my cat one day decided to drape himself over the Mac Mini and the DVD that was poking out of the slot, and he snapped it in half. I have no idea what, if any, damage he did inside, and am reluctant to stuff another DVD in there to find out.
              Are we referring to the DVD player or the cat here?I bet he'd be reluctant to have a DVD stuffed in there...

And apparently the proletariat rose up and overthrew Raps and installed PrplPpleEater as our new Chief Comrade.Up the revolution!
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Lesson learned from Raps - keep the madder out of his woad.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                X