This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late night phone calls

Working the audit shift at a hotel means you are the only one working at the desk.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people call after midnight with questions better handled during the day when management is around.

People call to make reservations at all hours of the night. You would get better service if you call during the day. There are more people around and have access to sales people and managers who can better answer questions.

People call to haggle about their bills from three weeks ago.

People call to report they left an item behind and can I check. No, I can't check. Lost and found is locked in the housekeeping manager's office. Call during the day when someone can check.

I am at the desk by myself. What makes you think I can help you?

Quoth figgyx View Post
    What makes you think I can help you?
    Did you forget the name of this forum? My best guess is that they must think that you can be more easily intimidated.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I thinks it's more that people don't know how hotels work. Also some hotels do have the lost and found by the front desk. At my old hotel I could have checked. Now I can't check under any circumstances. I don't have access at all, I can fill out an inquiry form and that's it.

Or maybe with the billing thing they think it will be easier to get a refund from the night person.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

There's also the possibility of lack of Time Zone awareness coming into play.

If someone on the west coast vacationed on the east coast, and they call after dinner (~7PM), that's 10-11ish for the hotel.

Or the reverse, someone stayed on a pacific hotel before returning home and calls in just after getting to work (8-9AM), but that is 5-6AM for the hotel.

With my parents living in Atlantic Canada, the time zone thing is something my mom never got a grip on, neither when I lived in California (4 hour difference) nor now with my sister in Edmonton (3 hour difference).

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
          If it weren't for Facebook allowing passive communication, I would've murdered my one old college friend who moved to Seattle years ago, and would call me when he was bored at work, usually around 9pm

HIS TIME

I'm in PENNSYLVANIA!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            If it weren't for Facebook allowing passive communication, I would've murdered my one old college friend who moved to Seattle years ago, and would call me when he was bored at work, usually around 9pm

HIS TIME

I'm in PENNSYLVANIA!
            One reason I rather like cell phones. You can turn the ringer off when you don't want to be bothered. With my android I can even use Google to make it ring when I need to find it even if it was set for Silent.
            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
              Raises hand. Guilty as charged. I honestly do have a hard time remembering that its a waste of time for me to try to call back east after 2 when I am making work calls. Not to mention the part about once I remember about the time zone thing, I can't remember if you guys changed your clocks and if you did, which way you did.

Please forgive me.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                Raises hand. Guilty as charged. I honestly do have a hard time remembering that its a waste of time for me to try to call back east after 2 when I am making work calls. Not to mention the part about once I remember about the time zone thing, I can't remember if you guys changed your clocks and if you did, which way you did.

Please forgive me.
                I'm on the west coast, and for over 10 years I worked at home doing medical transcription for a company in Cleveland, Ohio. Three hours ahead of me. This did occasionally cause me to get testy with people who would call too early. My boss said she was always afraid to call me too early in the day, after I chewed on someone who called me at 4 a.m. PST, even when I'd e-mailed her and told her I'd be up early and waiting for her call. I normally am a nice person, as long as no one calls me too early, especially if it's nonsense (the "Microsoft" guy got an earful for calling at 7 a.m. )

Comment

I always have issues with time zones and not being sure if the other place has switched to or from daylight savings. But I have a couple of clocks set up on my laptop & phone with the various cities my friends live in.

But it is always interesting when summer is ending in London and beginning in Melbourne because we go from 9 hours difference to 11 hours over the course of 2-3 weeks.

If it's a different city to the normal 3, I just change a clock location to double check.

Fun Fact: the east coast of Oz has 2 different times because 1 state refuses to have daylight savings. Yes, Queensland, I am talking about you. Not all of our states and territories have daylight savings, it's up to each one and not a federal government thing.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Oh lord I could rant on forever about bad late night early morning phone calls after working audit for 8 years. The worst of the worst would be people calling from another continent on their cell phone on SPEAKER PHONE in the middle of what sounds like a riot or something. We're always sold out for them , may seem mean but really what does siditgbzzzzdifigivcracklefibunnzzzzzz mean? Use the damn computer for a reservation for the love of Mike!
                    Last edited by HotelMinion; 02-25-2017, 07:55 PM.
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

The fabric store's corporate headquarters is three hours ahead of where I am. Often store support would call about issues that required an MOD... Sometimes that would be no problem, it was easier to deal with when there were no customers. But when they'd call at 6:30 AM, and the only MOD was receiving freight, that was not great. And honestly, all the opening employees had a lot of stuff to do, and if this didn't get accomplished the store literally couldn't open. Yet all the store support employees worked nice normal 9-5 shifts, and got ALL the holidays off. That's right, if something went wrong on a bankers holiday, you had to go through the emergency lines, where were of course, CLOGGED.

...I guess I resent them more than I thought, lol. We also got lots of regular employees calling from other stores on the east coast, looking to see if our store had a product the warehouse was out of, that we could transfer. Partway through the conversation I'd interrupt and say "let me see if I have anyone who can look for that product, we don't open for an hour and a half and I can't leave the office." They'd be like "OH." At least they understood, if it was a customer they did not. "There must be someone else who can look, I need to know if you have it so I don't waste a trip!" Oh really, so you are in the same time zone, you just don't care. Nice.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

"Hi my husband and I stayed there three weeks ago and we think we left some jeans in the closet?"

ARGGGG. Odd, I don't recall the phone having bite marks in it before today.

Comment

Working...
                        X