X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've another Star Wars question...

This time regarding the Sith.

It appears, at least based on the movies I've seen and the (online) reading I've done, that some Sith have a "clairvoyant" ability.

If Darth Sidious could indeed "see the future", does that mean that he knew that the original Death Star would be blown up? And wouldn't he kinda know that the rebels would also be on Endor trying to deactivate the shield?

And wouldn't he also "foresee" Vaders turn/redemption?

I guess if you're clairvoyant, you can't see everything.

But it was an interesting discussion my wife and I were having the other day.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I hate Star Wars, but I understand psychic things rather well. Clairvoyance does not mean the ability to see into the future. That, especially if done with tools, is called divination. Clairvoyance means the ability to see something happening in a place where you are not and have no way of seeing. A clairvoyant can't tell you anything about the future, but they can tell you what's going on in an enemy's castle at the current moment. This is especially true if it is a place or person that the clairvoyant has a strong connection to.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The Jedi/potential Jedi seem to have the same sort of clairvoyance (from what Kristev said), too -- even Leia sensed Luke needed help at the end of the Cloud City scene, and she's never been trained.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The clairvoyance you're referring to Eric is a Force sense. Basically it's how Force users can detect each other regardless of disguise. Think of it like with Highlander only not as obvious. In the case of Luke and Leia it's amplified because they're twins and their birth father is an particularly strong force user. It was used in the film as foreshadowing to that reveal.

As for Sidious' clairvoyance or divination or however you want to refer it, he was bullshitting. Most' if not all of his "predictions" were due to a considerable Batman Gambit and being able to read his adversaries like a preschool book.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Makes sense to me. I was assuming we were treating the clairvoyance and/or divination as as Force powers
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X