This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Epic Tale of Comeuppance| WARNING: May contain awesome

Hey guys I'm new to this forum, but once I saw it and read some posts here remembered some very gold incidences that happened to me when I worked at BlockBuster Video a few years back. And before I start, yes I know everyone hates BlockBuster, believe me so did I when I worked there.

A note about late fees

Working at BlockBuster is no picnic, the number 1 issue that people get red in the face about and scream over is the hallowed "Late Fee". I have heard that the company has since done away with them, but back in the day it was like war in the trenches with customers hurling all manner of bile at me over their $3.19 in late fees. One guy even threw money in my face. Another peculiar thing is people that owed insane amounts like 50-100 dollars would come in and pay their late fees relatively quiet-like, but anyone with 2-4 dollars would claw my friggen face off.

It seemed like a typical dispute

One day myself and my manager were taking care of our standard video store duties when a rather homely looking kid of about 15 came waddling up to the counter to rent some Nintendo 64 games. I dropped the mountain of movies I was returning to the shelves and went over to help him check out. I greet him, get the membership card and scan it. DING DING DING late fees, of course, about 6 dollars worth for a previous games being overdue and the account showed one of them was still rented at their house. I informed the kid who then furrowed his brow and silently stormed out, leaving me a bit confused as to what would happen next. Out the window I see the kid at a car talking into the driver side window. The door opens and out comes mom... strap in for the ride.

Mom comes in and without hesitation starts ripping my head off! Her son NEVER returns his movies late, clearly it is OUR mistake somehow and the game must surely be on the shelf.

Now, we have a Found on Shelf report we do every day. It's a list of EVERY late movie or game from our store and we go around the shelves making sure they didn't get past the counter without being checked in. Of course I humor them and check again. The game isn't in our store. Mom puts her hand on her hips and continues to call me stupid and incompetent, meanwhile her fat lazy son stands behind her like baby chicken nodding and agreeing. I call the Assistant Manager down to jump in front of the barrage of insults for me, which she does. It's not an uncommon scene, but you never get used to the feeling of being de-humanized by these people, it's just awful and sometimes containing the rage is unbearable. Most customers treat me like I personally gain from their late fees, as if I get commission for them and go out to enjoy extravagant lobster dinners each night while laughing heartily about my sabotaging of their accounts. Thank god for comeuppance.

The kid is dumber than I thought

It's about a half a week later when Fatty McGoober kid comes waddling back in. I instantly recognize him. I do my best to ignore him from where I am behind the main counter, and continue to prepare some new releases for shelving. He hovers around the toy racks where all of the action figures are for an awful long time, then patrols the rest of the store briefly and walks out. I decide to run some returns back to the shelves which is right around the toy shelves when I notice about 4 opened packages of action figures... all of the actual figures are missing from inside. I get my Assistant manager who is up in the office and show her the packages. I should mention at this point we have security cameras all over the store, one pointed squarely at that spot. Dumbass. Me and the AM review the tape and clear as day this kid is shoplifting! Now the thing is, he could have gotten away with it, no consequences, if he had been an anonymous customer. We have so many people come in and out everyday there is no possible way to keep track of anyone but the real regulars. Unfortunately for him, just days before, this kid and his mom made such a fuss I couldn't help but remember the NAME on their account. Yes that's right, I phoned the police immediately.

The glorious payback

Apparently the police went to the kid's house with the security tape, I can only imagine mom's reaction. Mom and son were forced to come to the store and pay for action figures and the son had to give us an apology.

One interesting thing about that day, right before the son shoplifted? That "missing" videogame was in the return bin. Lovely.
    Last edited by Metiphis; 10-20-2007, 07:54 PM.

I can only hope that the cops gave Teenaged Shithead a good scare. I shoplifted some gum once as a small child (not that it's any excuse, but I did it because I wanted gum and my mom wouldn't buy it for me, not because I was trying to be a badass) from a local grocery store, and I don't know how I was found out (this happened way back in the early '80s before cameras became standard, and it was a small store), but one day my mom took me back to that store and we went in the back, where I got a good, long talking-to by Mr. Policeman. I never shoplifted again after that.

My brother used to call BlockBuster "BallBuster" for their rental policies. Evidently the one where he used to live in Nebraska required everything just shy of a blood test for him to be able to rent a simple video.

~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

The only time I can remember shoplifting, Mom & I'd been to the pool, and then wandered into the grocery store. I was left on my own in the movie store attached to it, while Mom did some shopping.
      At some point, I wandered out to use the restroom, and noticed a pack of TMNT trading cards on a shelf, obviously out of place, grabbed it, and slipped it in my pocket. When we got home, and I was getting out of my wet clothes, I pulled out the packet, and said, "Oh, I forgot he gave those to me," or something similar, then made up some horrible lie about having found them in the movies, and the guy at the counter had said I could keep them. Mom saw right through that, and we went back to return the cards, and I was forced to apologize for stealing.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Metiphis View Post
        Another peculiar thing is people that owed insane amounts like 50-100 dollars would come in and pay their late fees relatively quiet-like, but anyone with 2-4 dollars would claw my friggen face off.
        My husband sucks at returning movies. Every once in a while I'll go rent a DVD on our account and get told that we have $40 or something insane in late fees.

So I just apologize, pay the fees, and go home and tear my husband a new one. Its important to focus one's rage on the guilty party.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

You all must join the hive-mind that is Netflix! Then you can laugh at the infamous 'late fee' or the 'if you kept it more than a week, you bought it' fee.

Come! Come my darlings!

Comment

as if I get commission for them and go out to enjoy extravagant lobster dinners each night while laughing heartily about my sabotaging of their accounts.
            Yes, because we all know that the six-dollar lobster is the height of fine dining.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

actually a lobster that would be enough for a nice dinner for two runs about 12-14 dollars so saying a 6 dollar lobster isnt that far off

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                actually a lobster that would be enough for a nice dinner for two runs about 12-14 dollars so saying a 6 dollar lobster isnt that far off
                OK...I'll take your word for that cuz I don't eat lobster
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  Yes, because we all know that the six-dollar lobster is the height of fine dining.

If I was making money off the collective late fees of all the customers I'd own the ocean itself. Think about it.

Comment

Yeah, lobster is really tasty and, last I checked, a bit pricey.
                    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

well about a pound and a half (a pound is about 10-12 to maybe 15 bucks but like i said you can normally do it for about 12) is enough for two people and you know you make a nice salad, share some cheap wine or maybe just some sparkling cider, and WALA!!!
                      romantice dinner for two ^_^ i can tell you a good recipee, but its not mine.
                      Oh and lobster, when properly seasoned and cooked is yummy

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                        well about a pound and a half (a pound is about 10-12 to maybe 15 bucks but like i said you can normally do it for about 12) is enough for two people and you know you make a nice salad, share some cheap wine or maybe just some sparkling cider, and WALA!!!
                        romantice dinner for two ^_^ i can tell you a good recipee, but its not mine.
                        Oh and lobster, when properly seasoned and cooked is yummy

Haha by the last few posts I'd think this site changed from "Sucky Customers" to "Lobsters are Awesome!"

Comment

Ah, so many fond memories of being Assistant Manager at my store's video department. I loved those special customers who thought that we just wrote off late fees after X number of years. Sorry, that late fee from 7 years ago? Yeah, you have to pay that. Once in awhile, someone would say they returned something that was showing as still out and we'd actually find it sitting happily on the shelf, and I'd gladly waive the fees for them. But most would rant and rave that I was just hiding it. Yeah, and what possible reason would I want to do that?

Another fun one was when they would bring in a VHS (corporate was slow to buy into the idea of DVD) that had melted in the car, claiming it was like that when they brought it home. Um, no. I would have noticed the deformed mass of melted plastic at the time I checked it out to you. No, the last person who rented it did so in January. This is July. Unless they put it in the oven, that didn't happen.

The biggest asshat I ever had merits his own thread. It wasn't even about a rental, he fought me about making a copy of a picture on the Kodak machine. I should post it.....
                          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Metiphis View Post
                            Haha by the last few posts I'd think this site changed from "Sucky Customers" to "Lobsters are Awesome!"
                            Wait, I thought waffle cones were awesome...

Anyway, I did shoflift once, unknowingly. When I was around 8, I was with my mom in Zody's, a long since dead chain store.

I found a Spiderman figure on the shelf out of its package. I had one at home, and started playing with it. My mom came by to get me, and I forgot all about it, until we got to the counter awhile later. We both thought that I brought it along with me, and told that to the cashier, who believed us. I didn't realize I took it until I got home, and found I had two figures.

I wanted to return it, but my mom didn't see the problem. Of course, a few months later, the store closed. I remember, in my young mind, that I thought I was the cause.

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                              So I just apologize, pay the fees, and go home and tear my husband a new one. Its important to focus one's rage on the guilty party.
                              I know that the last time I had the misfortune of dealing with Blockbuster (I don't like or rent from them, but my mother did), they were still trying to charge more in late fees than the cost of replacement of the disks, which was against the law then, and I'm fairly certain is still against the law now. And once you get to the point of owing the replacement cost, you might as well keep the disk.

I, too, am of the Netflix Queue... I had one movie in my house for three months before it was returned.

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                              Yeah, lobster is really tasty and, last I checked, a bit pricey.
                              I've had fresh lobster. It was bland. I prefer more fishy tasting shellfish.

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                              The biggest asshat I ever had merits his own thread. It wasn't even about a rental, he fought me about making a copy of a picture on the Kodak machine. I should post it.....
                              Yes. Yes, you should.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X