This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meh

It's again that time of year when I plan my own funeral. My depression kicks into hyperdrive and this year it's really bad.

Normally I do my craft shows, deal with moron customers and my family, sell a ton of stuff, make a bunch of customs and write up a post here about the crazies. This year I was trying to do better for my business. I asked for advice, and for the most part, tried to incorporate it into my plans. I raised prices to where I was making closer to minimum wage, I added new lower cost items, and I busted my butt picking up new shows and branching out. I was honestly *stoked* about my fall and winter shows this year because I was sure that I would do well.

And then I had Really Big Craft Show. And it bombed. I barely made booth rent. Honestly it was like pulling teeth. It is so awkward to have to convince someone that a $5 handmade potholder is a good deal. I spent the last day of the show in tears.

So now I have to deal with all the usual depression that I normally have over the holidays and I don't have the "Well but I sold all my stuff" that I normally have to cheer me up. I still have 75-80% of what I've made this year, which is pathetic. I've barely made enough to continue for next year - nothing extra for Christmas gifts.

I've been mentally lining up charities that I can give all of my already finished items, plus all of my fabric. It sucks that I have to even consider giving up the job I love. I've been applying for retail and work-from-home jobs, but because of my limited hours during the day (9am -2pm) I don't get hired.

I just feel so much like giving up. Maybe my parents were right and I am a huge failure.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

You are not any more of a failure than I am and I am not a failure. Unfortunately, in a disposable society, making handmade crafts like quilts is an unappreciated skill. My mother makes quilts and teaches quilting classes and I know how hard that job is. You are just having a crappy year. Don't give things away yet.

Comment

Remember - depression lies. Also, your parents are morons, you are not a failure.

You are a wonderful, beautiful person who makes exquisite works of art. I know it's hard, I know it hurts, but please don't give up on yourself.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Kana, you are the farthest from a failure. Seriously, hon.

Big hugs. You make some of the most beautiful quilts ever, and its evident how much of your heart you put into your work. I think its just because you're in Kansas, and Kansasians can't appreciate the work. Too much flat land. And wheat. (innocent grin)
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

So are your parents the biggest success?

And if not, then who are they to say?

You are not a failure. You're talented, hardworking and compassionate, and if your parents can't see any of that, it's because they don't want to. Bringing you down to their level is their way of trying not to feel bad about themselves. I hate when people do that.

I hate this time of year, too. It's cold and dreary and gloomy, and everybody's always telling you to be happy-happy joy-joy for the holidays. It's hard not to get depressed and tired.

It won't always be this way. Please be kind to yourself and don't listen to negativity from your parents or anyone else.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Have you tried to sell anything on Etsy? Do you have your own website you can sell things on? You could always try ebay too.

That may be worth a try.
            "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

i have an Etsy shop, last year I was shipping stuff out left and right. This year....not so much. I'm getting a ton of people looking at my stuff, but I guess they just don't want to spend the money.

It's like I'm stuck in a catch 22. I can either price my things to where I'm making an honest wage, and not sell anything; or I can pay myself a dollar an hour and sell hand over fist.
              Last edited by Kanalah; 11-30-2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Beautiful Lady, it is time to step outside your comfort zone a little bit. I am not sure where exactly where you live, but there have got to be art galleries and shops that sell crafted items on consignment. Start taking your quilts to these places and find out about exhibitng them for sale there. Also, check with local quilt shops and see if they will offer you wall space for displaying your quilts. I have seen your work and it is totally amazing. Beautiful stuff. Until I can afford something like that, I shall continue to drool over the pictures. Did you stop to think that the reason for not selling things at Really Big Craft Show, was less your work and items offered for sale and more your booth assistant ? I too live with depression, it is the worst thing in the world. But please don't give up on yourself or your work. It is so beautiful. One other place to ask about displaying quilts, the local hospital gift shops. They may also have gallery space or wall hanging space for the quilts on the walls. Most of the art that you see in hospitals is for sale . And it often sells.

Comment

Quoth crazyofficeclerk View Post
                  You are not any more of a failure than I am and I am not a failure. Unfortunately, in a disposable society, making handmade crafts like quilts is an unappreciated skill. My mother makes quilts and teaches quilting classes and I know how hard that job is. You are just having a crappy year. Don't give things away yet.
                  This is exactly right. People have lost the ability to handmake anything and they can get stuff for starvation wages from outsourced companies, so they have no clue how much effort and time goes into making a one-of-a-kind item by hand -- and no appreciation for it. Remember, usually you sell out ... so there are customers out there who love your stuff. It's just that this year they're all counting their pennies. I know. I'm one of 'em. Don't give up yet. Things will get better.

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                  i have an Etsy shop, last year I was shipping stuff out left and right. This year....not so much. I'm getting a ton of people looking at my stuff, but I guess they just don't want to spend the money.

It's like I'm stuck in a catch 22. I can either price my things to where I'm making an honest wage, and not sell anything; or I can pay myself a dollar an hour and sell hand over fist.
                  I love looking at the items on Etsy but ... it's not a case of don't want to spend the money, it's a case of haven't got it.

Are there things that you would be willing to drop in price, in order to sell them? Not full-sized quilts, but small items? Put the "non-negotiables" up on Etsy or just hold them until next year, and put bargain-basement prices on the items you are willing to let go for low prices, just to get them out of there. It's still better than donating everything.

Comment

Everything except the quilts is already priced about as low as I can make it, since I was trying to hit certain price points.

Doesn't really help when I hear my parents tell me that after I'm dead that my quilts will be worth a fortune. Don't ever say that to a depressed artist. Just don't.

Comment

I'm sure that Van Gough hearing that he'd be a real big deal once he was dead would have helped him immensely, too, wouldn't it? Or any struggling/depressed artist, for that matter.

You're not a failure, Kana, and as ArcticChicken says, Depression Lies. It tells you the worst possible thing you can imagine, and, as it's literally all in your brain, you tend to believe it. After all, your brain isn't supposed to lie to you.

You are having a bad year for sales - it sucks. Next year, that could be another year where you have the depression and yet have sold everything from the store.

Plus, please, after everything you've had to say about your parents, don't listen to them. Hear it, and have it go out the other ear.

Comment

your parents...what a disgusting thing to say.

Comment

Hugs from me too. Sounds like you have S.A.D ...which is something I suffer from as well. And each year it gets worse. It's taking everything I have to get out of bed and give a shit about anything right now.

As for sales...I'm sorry about that. It's so difficult with the economy right now. I have limited funds and am trying to figure out what I'm going to do for Christmas.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Your depression is lying. You aren't a failure. You are an artist in a time where the economy is depressed (too). People have to have money for luxuries before they can buy art.

Keep your quilts, they will come in handy when the times get better. Then, when you are selling, you won't have to work your fingers off to keep up.

Comment

I'm really incensed at your parents comments.

You are beautiful. Don't give up your fabric and your lovely work. *hugs*
                              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                              -----
                              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Working...
                              X