This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Mood Monitoring

OK, I guess this is more annoying to me personally than sucky since I hate having to explain or justify how I feel about my job. To give one example: when I was at Royal Burger I was sweeping the dining room floor one day when suddenly an old man said something like "You should be grateful you have a job at all blah blah whatever crap people tell the younger generation." Um, I didn't even serve you at the counter and I don't remember discussing my life choices with you.

So anyway, this was sort of like that, but not as bad. I was cashiering when a customer I didn't recognize came to me and immediately upon greeting asked if I liked it better than in cafe. It's possible I may have spoken to a customer who also worked retail about that, but I don't talk to "regular" customers about my job like that, and I did not recognize this woman as one of our frequent retail custies. I'm left with a) she saw me struggling to take care of everyone one day with no help or b) she saw on my face I wasn't happy about something, which happens frequently in cafe because one of my coworkers gets sidetracked any time a kid is around and leaves me unprepared for the rush, which, let's be frank, puts me in the aforementioned situation fairly often.

At any rate, if she's concerned, why not tell a manager "Hey, those people in cafe need more help"? Instead she's got to bring up misgivings I may have about my work? Am I really at liberty to discuss problems with customers? It's not the best practice. Why force it to happen?
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I've found a puzzled expression and a slight tilt of the head (think confused dog) works wonders on people who just start blathering about something for no apparent reason. Be subtle about it at work. I've also been working on a cat-like hiss for train-station people who pester me to date (bang) them / convert to their religion / give them stuff. Don't try that one at work though.
    Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

My coworkers do this to me also, but I just thought of a solution for that one: "We can talk about it later" and then later never comes. They only do it because apparently they don't have enough work to do. I'm the only one who tries to get anything done in between customers. They just stand and chat. People here in general like to stand and chat. Life is too slow for my taste in this part of the country.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        Life is too slow for my taste in this part of the country.
        So are the people.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

one of many reasons I thoroughly enjoy being a security guard, we aren't monitored for moodiness. And we have to be polite/professional, but friendly is optional*.

*if you don't like me, you really aren't going to like my backup, I'm little molly sunshine.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
          X