X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another day at the circus

Let's just get right to it.

Yes you did, no I didn't

A man came by and bought four oven mitts, along with other items.
    The oven mitts are $1.99 each and are sold individually, not as a pair.
    I finish his transaction, everything is good, I start on the next customer then he's back.

SC: Why are these oven mitts $7.96?
    Me: That's just the price of all four of them together. They're actually just $1.99 each.
    SC: They're a set, though.
    Me: No, these ones are sold individually.
    SC: Then why were they stuck together with a plastic tie?
    Me: Um... they weren't? They've never been attached as a set.
    SC: Yes they were and I watched you physically pull them apart to scan them.
    Me: Um... no, I didn't pull them apart because they weren't attached.
    SC: Yes they were!
    Me: OK, I know they've never been sold as a set, but how about I call the department just to make sure.
    SC: You do that.

I call the department, ask, and she tells me under no uncertain terms that they are NOT attached with a plastic tie.

Me: She told me the same thing. They're not together, they're separate.
    SC: I WATCHED you PHYSICALLY PULL them APART!
    Me: *thinking: Yeah, I purposely scammed you into paying extra for fucking oven mitts. That's how I make my money at work, by intentionally overcharging customers. Riiiiiight.* OK, well they're $1.99 each. Did you want to keep them or refund them?
    SC: Refund them!
    Me: Alright, someone just has to come over and do the refund for us.

I call for a coordinator and start on the next customer while we're waiting.
    While I'm serving someone the coordinator comes over and we wait until I'm finished with the customer, as their order is nearly finished.

SC: So is anyone coming over to do this refund, sweetheart?

Alright, now we've all read the thread on customers calling us by little pet names and as soon as the words left his mouth I could have strangled him, because he used "sweetheart" in that condescending way.

Me: My name is not sweetheart, and your refund will be done as soon as this gentleman has finished with his debit.

I know I could have been a little nicer and used the "kill them with kindness" tactic but the attitude that was coming from this man infuriated me and he needed to be told.
    Refund done, he goes on his merry way, I secretly hope he gets scabies.

Nothing will get it through their heads. Nothing.

Or Debit and Credit Only signs are held onto the lane lights by magnets and every once and a while someone will knock one down when putting something like a curtain rod or rug on the belt.
    No biggie, they go back up really easily.
    This woman knocked mine down after she hit it with a curtain rod and the sign hit her in the head.
    She was OK even though they're metal signs, and wasn't upset that it fell on her.

I finish ringing her things through, tell her her total, then watch as she tries to hand me cash.

Me: ... *blink stare*
    Woman: .... *blink stare*
    Me: Umm... that sign that hit you in the head... it says Debit and Credit Only.
    *Note: I didn't say this rudely, I said it with a joking tone, as I found it all quite funny.*
    Woman: Oh man... I'm dumb.

It was funny for a second then very, very sad.

I heart comedy

I recognised one of my first customers right away but couldn't remember his name. I knew his face and it was killing me trying to think of his name.

Anyway, a rather famous (and HILARIOUS) Canadian comedian came through my lane.
    He was buying a bed but had forgotten the all important slats and mid-beam.
    I helped him and his wife/girlfriend/friend with everything and they were both very nice.
    As they were leaving he said I was "very helpful" and thanked me for everything.

The comedian? Ron James.
    He's hiLARious.

Quoth rerant View Post
    *Note: I didn't say this rudely, I said it with a joking tone, as I found it all quite funny.*

Poor woman.

Maybe the sign did more damage than anyone thought.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So, did that second customer pull out a debit card or something after you pointed out the error of her ways?
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Just goes to show...

You can hit them over the head with it, and they still don't read the signs.

And now we have proof!
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

SC: So is anyone coming over to do this refund, sweetheart?
          Hint for next time: Perhaps you can invent your own terms of endearment and use them on SCs who insist on calling you "sweetheart" or whatever.

"Sure, bon bon dong, somebody will be here shortly to do your refund"

It's always a thing of beauty when they state the obvious. I will give her just a teeny bit of credit for joking along instead of copping a 'tude with you.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Me: *thinking: Yeah, I purposely scammed you into paying extra for fucking oven mitts. That's how I make my money at work, by intentionally overcharging customers. Riiiiiight.*
            Didn't anyone tell the customers that this is a main part of our job? We purposely stand around all day thinking of different ways to scam them for sole purpose of making them spend more money.

Comment

Quoth Groezig View Post
              Didn't anyone tell the customers that this is a main part of our job? We purposely stand around all day thinking of different ways to scam them for sole purpose of making them spend more money.
              yes, because the multi-billion(?) dollar company needs the $5.97 or it will tank

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                Me: My name is not sweetheart, and your refund will be done as soon as this gentleman has finished with his debit.
                Back in my retail hell days when I was in the bakery, there would be this guy who would come in everyday & was known for calling my female co-workers little terms of endearment like 'sweetie' and 'honey'. One day, one of my co-workers finally had enough & told him, 'Look, I'm not your sweetie and I'm not your honey!' He never called her those names again.

Sometimes, you have to put customers in their place. I think that you did it very professionally.
                "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

It was funny for a second then very, very sad.
                  I once was standing in front of a giant display of DVDs and there was a lettering, probably a yard high, on the wall saying "DVDs" ... and I asked an employee where they were.

Sometimes, our brain just stops.
                  "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Umm... that sign that hit you in the head... it says Debit and Credit Only.
                    Best CS quote EVER!

Comment

Quoth Mango View Post
                      Best CS quote EVER!
                      That's two signatures I've been quoted in now!

Comment

Working...
                      X