X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because it's icky! And girls are icky!!

Uhh, right?

<crickets>
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

MrMathNerd is not typical in a lot of ways. He was the only boy growing up with two sisters. He had twin daughters. His wife passed away when the girls were 13, leaving him to do his best as a single father. Girl stuff just doesn't phase him at all.

He just couldn't quite figure out the right product. I'm actually going to be in that store in a few hours and I'm going to double check if they actually had the right thing. If they really don't carry what I wanted, he's off the hook.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
        He just couldn't quite figure out the right product. I'm actually going to be in that store in a few hours and I'm going to double check if they actually had the right thing. If they really don't carry what I wanted, he's off the hook.
        And if they do have what you're looking for, don't be too hard on the guy. Maybe the store didn't have any when he was there and there weren't any left in The Back (tm)
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I only asked my husband to pick up my supplies once. It was right after my C-section, the hospital's supplies were very substandard, and I did give him the label of the old package. Yep, he got it right, too.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            I do not understand why a lot of men are so reluctant to pick up a clean package. It's not as if the cashier is going to wonder about their masculinity or something, is it?
            Seriously. If the guy's wearing a wedding ring, it's usually pretty obvious why he's picking it up. Even if he's not wearing a ring, as a cashier I never batted an eye. Guys can end up making the run for hygiene products for the ladies in their life plenty of times, and sometimes those products are just handy to have in a first aid kit.

Luckily my husband has no trouble making a run for me if necessary, and doesn't feel any less masculine for it (and it's not even like he grew up with nothing but women around, unlike my dad who only had one brother and had five daughters and no sons). I just make sure to specify what I want, and the only times he's goofed, it's to get me the "regular" version instead of the "long" version or whatever that particular brand calls it. Because I make sure to tell him exactly what brand and, if possible, type within that brand I need.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Well, MrMathNerd gets a pass this time. The store he went to did not, in fact, have the brand and size I wanted.

Another funny story on those lines:

I was hanging out in Jester's bar one afternoon with my oldest and youngest sons plus my youngest sister, who at the time was new to this whole puberty thing. Of course she didn't tell me it was that time of the month, and she didn't have any extra supplies with her. She finally told me she had a problem, but I couldn't leave the bar because our food was on the way out, and I couldn't leave the kids there while I went down the block to one of the drug stores. So I sent my oldest son, who was 14 at the time. He was mortified, but he got exactly what I asked for. I laughed and told him his future girlfriends/wife/daughters would be grateful for his ability to acquire such products without being weird about it.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I think the reason for the "hesitation" is (and I AM speaking as a 55 year old male here) the public embarrassment factor sprinkled with the "macho male" thing, with a twist of the YUUUUKKKKKKKK factor.

BUT then again once it becomes "routine" the above goes away especially if you as a guy have to do the family shopping alone.

Then again (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK highlight to see as this is a bit gross and disgusting)
                once you as a male spouse or SO have cleaned and bandaged changed many long term major surgical wounds such ICK factors fade real fast.

It also fades VERY quickly when you are "required" to clean up menstrual period blood clots from the bathtub after your SO has showered
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                  In Aus though, it's different, the retailers themselves don't store card details at all, not sure if it's a difference in law or infrastructure?
                  In the US, companies can store customer credit card info (but NOT the security code from the back -- that's very illegal), but are supposed to do so in such a way that workers using the software can't read the whole number (usually just the last 4 digits are visible). Presumably, the data breachers were able to get around the obfuscation/encryption.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I never had to buy those products for Mrs. IA because I rarely went shopping without her. However, I did on occassion have to buy them for our dog. He was old, incontinent and had to wear doggie diapers. Feminine pads were a lot cheaper than the doggie diaper pads, and worked just as well.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

If you're lucky, there are some other benefits when making a tampon run as a guy.
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        In the US, companies can store customer credit card info (but NOT the security code from the back -- that's very illegal), but are supposed to do so in such a way that workers using the software can't read the whole number (usually just the last 4 digits are visible). Presumably, the data breachers were able to get around the obfuscation/encryption.
                        Interesting. It might actually be a combination of what I suggested, as the credit card transactions is handled by equipment that belongs the the bank, all the retailer sees is approved or declined and the last 4 digits of the card

As for picking up "feminine hygiene" products as they're called over here, what's the big deal? I personally found it more embarrassing to buy condoms

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                          As for picking up "feminine hygiene" products as they're called over here, what's the big deal? I personally found it more embarrassing to buy condoms
                          As a female, I agree with this sentiment.

My husband has never had an issue with the whole "macho male" thing. I think he's very in touch with his feminine side. And as I previously mentioned, my dad quickly got used to "girly stuff" due to having five daughters and no sons. It got to the point where by the time my youngest sister was hitting puberty, Dad didn't even bat an eye at talk of bras and periods at the table.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            That reminds my of the file clerk in one office that flied everything under "M" because they were "memos."
                            I saw this in the Beetle Bailey comic strip many years ago - the General's secretary filed all the letters from HQ under "L" for "letters". Did it happen in real life too?

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                            It's 44 yrs (this coming May 20th) for us and husband still absolutely refuses to pick up those things for me.
                            After 44 years together (and you were presumably an adult at the beginning) I'm surprised you still need them.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I saw this in the Beetle Bailey comic strip many years ago - the General's secretary filed all the letters from HQ under "L" for "letters". Did it happen in real life too?
                              Reminds me of an X-Files episode (set in the 1950's), where we learn that the titular files received their designation because unsolved and/or unusual cases were filed under "X" because the "W"'s were too full, and the "X" section always had plenty of room.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                                ... the "W"'s were too full ...
                                Of course. They had all the What?#!? items...

also the Who$#@%$, Where*&^&% and When><? files.
                                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                                X