Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know a real estate agent? Good for you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know a real estate agent? Good for you.

Second mortgage appraisals. These are very quickly becoming the bane of my existence. Of course, the approval of this type of loan is dependent on the appraisal, so it can be a make or break number for the deal.

THIS special snowflake says his house is worth 160K. County says his house is worth 119k. Of course, county and market can be well off from each other, but a big difference can be a warning sign. So, appraisal comes back... at 123k.

NOOOOO! This is NOT what his house is worth. He knows a real estate agent and they say there is NO WAY this is what his house is worth. (In my world, saying you know a real estate agent is kinda the equivalent to saying you're best friends with a lawyer. The SC thinks it means something, while I shrug.)

Standard "I don't like my appraisal results" procedure enacted. I send him a copy of the report and let him know that I can put in a dispute of the appraisal, but I need it to be in his words, with exact reasons why he disagrees. He e-mails me his dispute... in ALL CAPS. I take a quick glance. At least he didn't quote Zillow, that's a plus. Lists a few houses that sold in the 140k to 150k range. Points out an extra bedroom and a deck. Those could be worthy features, if the appraiser truly missed them. Okay then, I copy/paste it into the dispute window and wait for the results.

New appraisal result: Oops, they did miss the deck. $125k then. As for the rest: that extra bedroom: no can do. It's a room, sure, and it was included in the room count, but it cannot be counted as a functional bedroom when its only egress is via another bedroom. Plus, it has no closet. As for those houses that sold for 140-150k... they aren't in your neighborhood. THEIR neighborhood has a market history of 140 to 170k. YOUR neighborhood averages 118k. In fact the one house from your neighborhood that you did list, that one that sold for 146k, is the single highest sale in your neighborhood, and that was almost 2 years ago. Since then, multiple properties have sold for, guess what, 115 to 120k. That 125k value is HIGH.

NOOOOO! He e-mails me again in all caps. His real estate agent says...

Let me just stop reading there. Real estate agents look at the projected market as they see it. Very good for trying to sell your house, I'm sure. After all, you want to get the most you can, and the hope is for the market to be moving upwards. Of course, if the agent is wrong, your house just doesn't sell, and you have to lower the price. LENDERS however, look at the recent history. Your house ain't worth 150k until it, or an equivalent, actually SELLS that high. If people are buying at 120k, (and even then it's taking 9 months to sell) then that's what we look at.

So, Mr Friends-with-a-real-estate-agent cancels the application. He'll get HIS money somewhere else. k. Lucky for him, he's not out anything but time. We do pass on the charge for our appraisals, but ONLY if you get the loan. Canceled loans we write off as a cost of doing business.

Two weeks later, he's back.

Sure, I can un-cancel the application. New appraisal? Sure! I can even use an alternate company. A bit more expensive, though, and with reason to believe it won't come back as you like, I get to by-pass our normal procedure and charge you for it upfront.

Oh, you're canceling again. k.

Two DAYS later, he's back again. Going to just get what he can get using the appraisal we already did. (Oh! Oh! Oh! Let's tell you the difference! HE wants $115k. We max out at 85% of the value of the home, so we can only do $106,250. Actually, I might be able to get the full amount approved, but the risk would go up, so the rate would go up, so he doesn't want that. Poor, deprived baby.) Well, I can still use that appraisal. Can make everything ready to close very quickly at this point.

Only NOW he wants the appraisal fee waived. Under the argument that he didn't agree with it. Also if he canceled, we'd be out the money anyway.

Um. NO. You want the loan, you pay the cost. You don't want the loan, I'll happily wave goodbye a third time.

Oh, I see! You thought I'd go chasing after you when you canceled before, didn't you? You think I care if you get this loan, don't you? You are so very cute.

You see, I KNOW why you came back. Because we have one of the easiest home equity loan programs in the state, especially for someone pushing the value boundaries like you are. AND anyone else is going to charge that appraisal fee upfront once they see that county value and compare it to what you want. Frankly, I got more home equity loans, even in the middle of winter, than I know what to do with. Yeah, 100k is a higher balance than many, but while you've been wavering back and forth, we've done more than ten times that amount in home equity loans.

So, get the loan, fees intact, or don't. Just stop wasting my time.

Inquiring minds want to know: How much WAS that appraisal fee anyway?
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      How much WAS that appraisal fee anyway?
      This much:

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        Inquiring minds want to know: How much WAS that appraisal fee anyway?
        For him: $300. Which I'm told is cheap for a full walk-through. The other company we use costs upwards from $350. Of course, a drive-by is half that, but we only use drive-by's when the county's value is more than sufficient, but we want a double check.

Comment

Sir, I'm very sorry the appraisal was not to your liking. Here at EvilBank we try to please all of our customers and indeed even random members of the public who keep telling us they dont want our services. With that in mind please see the attached version of your appraisal retyped in all-caps which I trust will be more acceptable to you.

Comment

And in other news, my 1 bedroom, 600 square foot condo was appraised by the city at a bit under 200k. And now I have to pay taxes on that. Dang.

Comment

Cheryl Wheeler says it: "We're The Bank"
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

He wants the loan after all, but doesn't want to pay for the appraisal because he's not happy with it?

Errr... he's apparently happy enough to want the loan! Banking is not a like some hipster restaurant in Brooklyn where you get to pay what you feel is "fair".

What a tool!

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                  And in other news, my 1 bedroom, 600 square foot condo was appraised by the city at a bit under 200k. And now I have to pay taxes on that. Dang.
                  My parents successfully petitioned to have their appraisal lowered. See, one year a guy broke up a large lot into small ones and they all sold for quite a bit. Then the value of my parent's lot jumped up and the taxes would have been crazy. Anyway, I have no idea how they did it, but they got it lowered.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                    For him: $300. Which I'm told is cheap for a full walk-through. The other company we use costs upwards from $350.
                    I can't recall paying that little for our last re-fi....closer to $500 IIRC.
                    I have a sense that this SC may be a counterpart to Ghel's Betty.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      My parents successfully petitioned to have their appraisal lowered. See, one year a guy broke up a large lot into small ones and they all sold for quite a bit. Then the value of my parent's lot jumped up and the taxes would have been crazy. Anyway, I have no idea how they did it, but they got it lowered.
                      Unfortunately, it's not worth trying... I checked and there's several 2 bedroom units in the same complex on sale from 210 to 230. They say the prices here have crashed with the oil prices but I see no evidence of this. I do think it's amusing that when you convert CAD to USD, my condo is worth almost exactly the same amount as this guys house...

Comment

Quoth sirwired View Post
                        He wants the loan after all, but doesn't want to pay for the appraisal because he's not happy with it?

Errr... he's apparently happy enough to want the loan! Banking is not a like some hipster restaurant in Brooklyn where you get to pay what you feel is "fair".

What a tool!
                        There's a restaurant where you get to pay what you feel is fair? That sounds like a good way to go broke!

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                          There's a restaurant where you get to pay what you feel is fair? That sounds like a good way to go broke!
                          there's a few here in Melbourne.(http://lentilasanything.com/ ) Well it's the same restaurant in a few locations. The way they get around a lot of overheads is that it's vegetarian , the menu varies from day to day and a lot of the staff are volunteers. On average people were paying just over restaurant prices for their meals.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                            Quoth dawnfire View Post
                            there's a few here in Melbourne.(http://lentilasanything.com/ ) Well it's the same restaurant in a few locations. The way they get around a lot of overheads is that it's vegetarian , the menu varies from day to day and a lot of the staff are volunteers. On average people were paying just over restaurant prices for their meals.
                            There's a restaurant like that around here too. No set menu price, they ask that you pay what you can and if you are too broke to pay you can (but are not obligated to) volunteer your time helping at the restaurant to pay for your meal. I've ate there a few time, pretty decent food. Table Grace

Comment

Side note: Mental As Anything were an Australian 80s band. So 'Lentil as Anything' is a pun....
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X