This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dracalous View Post
    I also live in this state. So many people in my area seem to repeatedly forget 2am is the legal cutoff for alcohol.
    They know, they just don't care, and think they're just SO special and wonderful they should be exempt from those pesky laws. They also have great faith in the idea that being graced with their presence is SUCH an honor that the lowly counter peon should be ecstatic to risk fines, job loss, etc., to cater to those elite exceptions.

Yeah, I used to work graveyard in a convenience store. Why do you ask?
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      Yeah, I used to work graveyard in a convenience store. Why do you ask?
      My friend worked overnights at a 24 hour grocery store. She was always complaining about how it would be dead all the way up until about 1:55 AM, then like 10 people would rush into her lane. Of course the last couple people would be told they couldn't buy that beer and they'd be all "but I was in line before 2!" But the state has no law/rule that says "no sales after 2 AM unless you pinkie swear that you were in line before that."

And this was when grocery stores could only sell beer and wine, I can only imagine how much worse its gotten now they can sell hard alcohol too.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I only dealt with beer/wine, since I lived in a state that at that time only allowed anything stronger to be sold through state-run stores (since I moved over 20 years ago and am a non-drinker, haven't bothered to keep up on laws in that state).

I don't even want to THINK about the hard liquor SCs.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Where I live regular grocery stores and c-stores can generally only sell beer, and liquor stores tend to close around 11-12 at night. There are a few exceptions but generally you have to show up way before the legal close of alcohol sales (if we even have that here) to get your drink on. Plan ahead or do without. Though I'm sure people working in 24 hour c-stores still have to deal with idiots you can't sell to (past time, too drunk already, no ID, exc).
          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
            Where I live regular grocery stores and c-stores can generally only sell beer, and liquor stores tend to close around 11-12 at night. There are a few exceptions but generally you have to show up way before the legal close of alcohol sales (if we even have that here) to get your drink on. Plan ahead or do without. Though I'm sure people working in 24 hour c-stores still have to deal with idiots you can't sell to (past time, too drunk already, no ID, exc).
            Or the combo platter with two or three "no, I can't legally sell to this person" problems going on.

Comment

Quoth Dracalous View Post
              I also live in this state. So many people in my area seem to repeatedly forget 2am is the legal cutoff for alcohol.
              And this fact perplexes me. My work is at least two hours' drive in any direction from the border to any other state. (And it's not as if this is a tourist town; I suspect most tourism guides for this part of the country advise visitors on how to not wind up here.) The cutoff time is the same in one of our neighbors and almost the same in the other. Almost every single state in the country except Nevada (and I think Louisiana) has a cutoff somewhere between midnight and 3 AM.

And yet there are always people who are shocked by this fact. One of our forklift-drivers is usually working on the beer aisle in the hour or so after cutoff time, and he's usually the one who tells people looking at the cooler that they can't buy anything right now. I think the crowning award goes to the group a year or so ago who had to ask whether Mike's Hard Lemonade counts as alcohol. (Spoiler: It does.)

Comment

(Spoiler: It does.)
                ...but only just.

Selling (and buying!) booze in your state sounds like a real PITA.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I'm so glad our liquor is in a glass case where people can easily see and point out what they want. Granted, I wish we didn't sell the stuff at all, because it's more of a pain than it's worth. The worst problem I have, believe it or not, is people trying to buy alcohol before we can legally sell it on Sunday mornings. I know that the rest of the week, we can start selling at 6AM. It's 8AM on Sundays, though. Do most come back promptly at 8AM for their booze? You damn bet they do!
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                    Selling (and buying!) booze in your state sounds like a real PITA.
                    Buying isn't so bad. I've never happened to want alcohol during a time when it can't be sold, so that's not a big deal to me. Some stores have it behind glass in a separate area from the main store, where they also sell tobacco. Some stores have it behind glass in the wine department. Some only have the expensive stuff locked up. I think the reason it's all different is because our state use to control hard alcohol sales, and now they don't, so stores had to make room. The thing I dislike is that I'm unfortunate enough to live in the most expensive state to buy it, which is a little sad.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                      Almost every single state in the country except Nevada (and I think Louisiana) has a cutoff somewhere between midnight and 3 AM.
                      There are others besides Louisiana and Nevada. Florida, for one. I know that here in Key West, 4 am is the cutoff, but in Miami (or at least parts of it), it's even later. I have no idea what the state cutoff time is, because it varies so widely in all the places I've been. I think Fort Lauderdale is 4 am as well, but I can't recall, because whenever I've been out late enough to hit the cutoff, I've been pretty well soused.

I also know that in parts of Chicago, it's 4am. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not well versed in who does what when.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        There are others besides Louisiana and Nevada. Florida, for one. I know that here in Key West, 4 am is the cutoff, but in Miami (or at least parts of it), it's even later. I have no idea what the state cutoff time is, because it varies so widely in all the places I've been. I think Fort Lauderdale is 4 am as well, but I can't recall, because whenever I've been out late enough to hit the cutoff, I've been pretty well soused.

I also know that in parts of Chicago, it's 4am. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not well versed in who does what when.
                        Michigan's cutoff is IIRC 2 a.m., but they changed the liquor laws up here a few years ago; now (again IIRC) licensees can get add-ons (after paying a hefty additional fee, of course) for their license that allow staying open until 4 a.m., or otherwise sell when you would not normally be permitted to.
                        "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
                        X