X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexism everywhere

Take from my sister:

BG: she works at a pool supply store, and is trained in repair of various pool equipment.

She's sitting on the bench, working on a piece of equipment when someone walks up to her, looks at her, and asks "where's the guy that repairs pool equipment?"
    "You're looking at her, though you can call me Steve if it makes you feel better."

In the past month, we've hired a female tow truck driver, a female service tech, and a female paint booth operator for the bodyshop. I'm just itching for the first sexist old coot to panic when he realizes there's NO SAFE DEPARTMENT for him here!
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
      Take from my sister:

BG: she works at a pool supply store, and is trained in repair of various pool equipment.

She's sitting on the bench, working on a piece of equipment when someone walks up to her, looks at her, and asks "where's the guy that repairs pool equipment?"
      "You're looking at her, though you can call me Steve if it makes you feel better."
      Where's the like button?
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

That is the greatest comeback! Your sis rocks!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I love your sis!

Comment

Ugh. Similar attitudes exist in the financial world. Many of you know that I work as a trading assistant for a brokerage firm. Most of my job is to answer the phone and confirm trades. While I am licensed, I'm not a trader. I cannot negotiate prices, in other words. That has to be done by the trader. Most of the time, it's not too bad--pick up the phone, transfer the person to the proper trader.

But, there is one guy I'd like to strangle. This douche will call up, I'll put him on hold, and as soon as one of our female traders picks up...he'll hang up on her. Then he'll call back, and I get to deal with him again. He'll get snotty at the mere thought of dealing with a woman
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

A few years ago I worked for a cell phone company as a tech and was the only female in the store for over a year. On the rare occasions when I wasn't busy but the floor was, I would go out and great customers to try and save them some wait time if possible. The guys used to love it when some older man would give me the "no, I need to speak to one of the guys", just to have one of our salesmen walk the old bastard over to me with a "this is sportsmom, she's the one to help you since she's our tech."

Bonus points if it was something as simple as needing to restart a Blackberry.

Comment

I've been working with computers since 1979. Many years ago, one of the guys I was training used to amuse himself by backing out of sight when students came to the window for help, then popping out and watching them immediately turn to him for help. He'd laugh and tell the student that he/she was sexist because the GIRL was training HIM. And they should know better. It was the 80s, after all. *laugh* He was a good guy.

Comment

Ladies,

On behalf of secure males everywhere, allow me to apologize for our neanderthal brethren. They know not what they do.

I once had the privilege of watching a lady truck driver handle a big rig down a steep icy hillside with skill far beyond what I thought was even possible. I was impressed right down to my socks.

Comment

One day I watched a lady mechanic fix my car. Easy job - change the alternator. I was happy she was doing it, because I knew she was good.

What was interesting was my mother's reaction. My Mother was born in 1925 and this was 2010. She had fairly rigid views about gender roles. She knew I was particular about my car, but I was just sitting there looking out the window at this lady, fixing my car. My mother wanted to say something, but she didn't know what. She finally settled for astonishment.

Mother: "That's a girl fixing your car!"
                    Me: "A-huh"
                    Mother: "My goodness"
                    Me: A big grin

Some weeks later there was a story in the local paper abut this same lady. In her spare time she was restoring an old car. The story was more about what a good job she had done and the prize she had won at a car show than here is a lady mechanic. My mother was even more astonished.

Comment

It's not work related but when I went to taco bell the other day this started freaking out that he left something in his car when I held the door for him to go in, I let go of the door and started walking to my car and he didn't even go all the way to his before going back to enter the restaurant.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Whenever I require a service, I give the person working there the benefit of the doubt because after all there's a reason s/he was hired for that job. And if that person also just happens to have a pretty face, that's a bonus as far as I'm concerned.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                        X