Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I Allow Anyone Into Your Account?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Allow Anyone Into Your Account?

Yesterday, at work, was already a hard day, because it was the one year anniversary of my dad's death, and I was near tears anyway. Most of my calls were fine, until I got this guy.

At the bank I work at, verification is in two parts, to access the account itself. To get online, it's in four or five parts. At the very minimum, I have to get the business name, name of the person calling, and then I match that to the authorized signers on the account. If the person is not authorized, I have to speak to a signer.

After I've got that info, I have to verify the address, then a transaction, be that either a deposit or debit card transaction, date and amount. Most people have no problem with being able to verify this, because we've got some leniency with the transactions, 10% within the actual amount, and within 2 days of the actual date.

This guy I got on the phone was able to verify up to the transaction. He actually stated that he would not verify a transaction, deposit, transfer, etc., and that I needed to find some other way to verify him. Since there is absolutely no other way unless the customer has put a password on the account, or has come through the IVR, I advised him that without this information, he could either use the IVR or go in to a branch to verify with ID.

This guy got irate! He started trying to intimidate me into giving him information on the account, and then started telling me that he was going to get me fired for not giving him information. His cruelty got to me, along with how bad I was already feeling, and I broke down, and eventually my supervisor came over and I think she got him off the phone at that time.

After I'd gotten off, I came up with a great logical response to these people - I feel like saying "So since you can't/won't verify your account, you'd be perfectly fine with me giving all of your account information to anyone who calls in and pretends that they're you, right?" And of course, the answer would be "No! But I'm the account holder, and you need to give me my information!!" To which I would reply, "Since I'm on the phone with you, and cannot see you, I cannot verify that I am indeed speaking to the correct person. In order for me to do that, I must proceed with verification."

But unfortunately, logic never prevails with these people.

Nothing much to add, except that I'm sorry for the loss of your father. Mine has been gone for 6 years and November 1 is still a very hard day.

Call center work is already a bitch and for that jerk to talk to you like that, when you are trying to protect him, makes HIM a total douchebag.
    Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

((gives Erinesque big hugs and a mug of hot chocolate and some freshly baked brownies))

I'm sorry you had such a swine to deal with, especially on such a day.
      Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Sounds like that guy could have been a social engineer bullying you for information on an account he stole some data on.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I'm sorry for you loss. I've got an anniversary date as well, I make sure to book it off every year.

As for Mr. Asshat, the best approach is to kill them with procedure and politeness, along with pointing out their own stupidity "Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way sir, but I'm sorry, I'm curious by nature, how exactly are you going to get me fired for following the correct protocols and protecting my client's account?" Other than that, I would always entice these types to get into textbook verbal abuse of swearing and/or name calling, you can hang right up on them as soon as that starts.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I get that all of the time...

"But I have all of the information!"
            True, but without an authorized user being listed on the account, I need the actual account holder here in the store.

"But can't I just call them and have them tell you it's OK?"
            Unfortunately, since I can't see who it is on the other side of the phone, that won't work. Could be anyone with the same info you're trying to give me.

"But the other guy lets me do it all of the time!"
            Reeeeaaaly, now? Please, do tell me his name so I can write him up for breaking account access policy.
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
              "But the other guy lets me do it all of the time!"
              Reeeeaaaly, now? Please, do tell me his name so I can write him up for breaking account access policy.
              This, a thousand times. I'm very partial to this line, it's deflated more than one posturing prick and it'll do it again!
              This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
              I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                Sounds like that guy could have been was a social engineer bullying you for information on an account he stole some data on.
                Just a small correction needed. Trying a High Anxiety number to make you comply just to get rid of that PITA.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

AT my job, we just say to those people,

"Well since you're refusing to do what's needed to verify security with your supposed account, then I guess we have nothing further to talk about. Have a nice day"

...and hang up before they have a chance to give an answer.

As long as we leave detailed notes on the account about why we hung up, they can call back to yell at the next agent all they want but if they refuse to still give an answer to the security questions, all they'll get is another disconnect, forcing them to wait another half hour to get through again.

Repeat ad nauseam.

I'd refuse to work for a company that doesn't care enough about it's employees to allow them to hang up on abusive callers. Maybe we could sue them for workplace harassment.

Comment

Working...
                  X