X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Quiz

Quick quiz here:

You are a college student and you have a 10-day vacation planned in the middle of summer semester where you will be completely out of state and away from any internet acess. Do you:

1) Take the summer semester off and enjoy your vacation

2) Take an 8-week summer class, realize a midterm is during your vacation, and reschedule your vacation

3) Take an 8-week summer class, realize a midterm is during your vacation, and drop the course

or

4) Take an 8-week summer online course and then whine about the test date being during your no-internet-access vacation so can't the professor please give you a special exam date all to yourself?

#1 please.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

#5) Move the trip to somewhere with internet access.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Or ... take the online course, complain to the dean/chair/president/lunch lady about the exam schedule forcing the prof to create a special exam just for you. Of course, should you fail that exam, or the course in general, complain the the new exam schedule was confusing, or didn't give you enough time to study, or just not fair to such a special little butterfly.

Comment

Actually on this subject, I have a little boneheaded moment of my own here; the start date for my summer school course happens to be when my family has booked a vacation to hawaii Do you noble, honorable souls think that an explanatory email to the professor would settle the situation?
          Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
          --Unknown

Comment

Only if you bring him back a lei and a pineapple. ^_^
            Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

My vacation this year landed during the third week of the spring semester. I didn't want to not go on vacation, so I decided just to take whatever hit was going to happen by missing that time from class. It ended up being only one evening on one class, so it wasn't too bad. If I missed any points and would not be able to make them up - that was a chance I was willing to take.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

platypus for teh win!

Comment

Quoth karath View Post
                  Actually on this subject, I have a little boneheaded moment of my own here; the start date for my summer school course happens to be when my family has booked a vacation to hawaii Do you noble, honorable souls think that an explanatory email to the professor would settle the situation?
                  Karath, it depends on several things:
                  1. How long (weeks) is the course?
                  2. How long is the vacation?
                  3. What subject--is it something you are already familiar with, or something totally new?
                  4. Is your self-discipline such that that you can really get caught up quickly?
                  5. Do you care about your final grade--A vs C?

If you must remain enrolled in the course, definitely let the instructor know ahead of time what is going on, and that you are willing to take any penalties that may be incurred for missing those first classes.

Just remember that the instructor still has the right to drop you if, in his/her opinion, your absences would realistically not allow you to pass the course.

Good Luck!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Seraphim View Post
                    and a FRESH YOUNG coconut. (The old one's milk is nasty and the coconut is hard. Young coconuts have sweet milk and tender coconut inside, a little firmer than firm jello)
                    Last edited by Brightglaive; 06-03-2008, 03:52 PM.
                    You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

I just wonder what possesses people to sign up for a course when they will be missing 1/5th of the class? Maybe they don't care about their grade, I dunno.

Comment

#1, go on your vacation and don't bother with school. That's what the vacation is for anyways!
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I agree. Life is too short to deprive yourself. The school aint going anywhere.
                          Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
                            2) Take an 8-week summer class, realize a midterm is during your vacation, and reschedule your vacation
                            If school is the only thing I'm doing, I'll do number two. Otherwise I'll stress during my vacation, not relax, come back freaked out, and likely have a poor grade on my mid-term.

But then I also subscribe to the adage: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead.
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
                              Or a jar full of macadamia nuts. Professors love tasty snacks.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X