This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAEW (Yet Another Entitlement Whore)

I had to respond to our service centre who had a customer with a camera problem. She claimed that her camera that she had just got back from repair was still having the same fault. Our technician had put fresh batteries in it, and had no problem. She didn't accept that and so I got the call.

I had a look, she showed me the problem - it turned on and promptly turned off again with a message "Change the Batteries". I took her batteries out, put our set in, and it worked perfectly. Fired off a bunch of shots, not a drama in the world. Let her know that I was confident it was a battery problem, and suggested she probably should purchase a set of good quality batteries. No, the camera was still faulty after she'd waited 6 weeks for it, so we should give her a brand new camera. I then looked into what the previous repair was, and this is where it gets very interesting.

Looking at the notes on the job, the camera was about 9 months outside it's warranty period when it was booked in. It was booked in by a junior staff member who was in his first week at work, who mistakenly told her that the repair would be covered by warranty. Easy enough mistake to make, especially when you are new. It was sent to the national repair centre, who supplied a quote for repair. This woman had made a huge fuss when she was given the quote to repair, and was adamant that because she was told it was warranty she shouldn't have to pay for it. One of our managers became spineless and agreed. WTF? Anyway, so the store paid the repair fee, the camera got repaired and so it got returned to her about 2 weeks ago. For the whole period of the repair, she was given a loan camera to use.

OK, so back to now, and she is complaining of a different fault (which as far as we can tell is because of her batteries).

I told her that we could send it back to the repairer for them to assess it. If there was something wrong with the previous repair it would be covered under it's warranty, but if it was a different fault, or no-fault-found she would have to pay the fees that they charge. She could once again have our loan camera while it was away.

This wasn't acceptable to her. She insisted that she couldn't be without the camera again, she shouldn't have to pay anything, and that anything short of a whole new camera (which she shouldn't have to pay anything for), was poor customer service. We to-ed and fro-ed a few times - me restating my position that it was out of warranty, we didn't even have to pay for the previous repair, and most definitely weren't going to pay for another repair nor would we pay for a new camera. She seemed to think that she had been the recipient of terrible customer service, was going to take all her business, and her family's business, and her in-law's business elsewhere if she didn't get her own way and get a new camera now. Eventually she got the hint, and once again threatened to take her business elsewhere, to which I suggested that would probably be for the best.

SC grabbed her camera (which still had our batteries in it), and started to walk out. I asked her to return them, and she said "A set of batteries is the least you can give me for my troubles". To which I immediately countered, "If you walk through those front doors with our batteries, I will have you charged with theft". She stopped removed the batteries, dropped them on the floor at her feet, and walked out. As she got to the front doors she turned and said "You will never see me buying here again". My sharp tongue which sometimes gets me in trouble countered with "Promise?". She just stormed out.

FFS I couldn't believe the nerve of her - demanding a free camera to replace an out-of-warranty camera, that had nothing wrong with it!! I must say though, I felt like punching the idiot manager that agreed to pay for the previous repair. Give an inch and SC's will take a mile every time.

Quoth Rivulatus View Post
    Give an inch and SC's will take a mile every time.
    Human nature at its worst. These days, I feel like I work with an entire legion of entitlement whores. About 5 years ago, I worked as an employee of the company that now I am contracted with under my current company. All that changed pretty much was where I got my paychecks, at least from my perspective. From their perspective, additional hoops were added for them to get IT service. They had to either call a help desk in case of problems or put in a service request for everything else. Neither of which takes a great deal of time.

However, because all they had to do in the past was pick up the phone and call me to get things done, they still believe they can do this, and get all huffy and whiny when I tell them they have to put in the appropriate request. My phone's voicemail greeting states this explicitly, yet they still leave messages, then get pissed when I ignore them because I don't have the proper documentation to charge my time to. In 99 percent of these cases, the documentation would be in my hands if they'd just done it in the first place instead of bypass the system and call me only to have me tell them they can't call me direct.

I've heard more complaints about 'unnecessary administration', how much of a waste of time it is, how complicated it is (pick up a phone and dial the help desk, or just tell us what you want in the correct form?), and how long it takes to last me a lifetime. You just can't win.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Well, even if she wasn't entitled to it, since some employee of your store told her she'd get the first repair for free, she had some right to complain upon recieving a quote. Granted, there is a difference between complaining in polite and civilized manner and throwing a hissy fit not unlike that of 2 year-old. Had I been the manager, I would have given in, for the store was at fault.

Everything else is absolute entitlement whorism.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

I'll agree with Samaliel with that assessment.

We get that kind of customer with computer problems quite often. Most often, though, their reasoning for demanding their computer be repaired for free is this: "But I just bought it here only (insert amount of time from one week to seven years) ago!"

Not working after only a week or two? Probably defective. We seem to get one of those every shipment. We'll test it, verify that it is defective, and replace it. Anything longer than that and we'll start looking at warranties. But when it comes to computers, seven years old is not "still new," and it won't be repaired for free unless the customer can PROVE that the problem is because of something we did.

I can only hope that the SC in the OP goes entitlement whoring after some other shop, and they give her the same answers. It sounds like a battery problem to me, but I don't think she'll ever accept that.

I can imagine her marching in the other store now...
        SC: I bought this camera at your competitor. When it had a problem, they tried to charge me for repairing it after my warranty expired! Then, when it came back still broken, they rudely refused to replace it! Therefore, I demand that you give me a new camera for free to compensate for the inconvenience I experienced at the other store! Do it now, or I will never shop here again either!
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Let me guess, she was putting shitty dollar store grade batteries into a juice-sucknig beast of a camera and expecting it to work, wasn't she?

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
            C: I bought this camera at your competitor. When it had a problem, they tried to charge me for repairing it after my warranty expired! Then, when it came back still broken, they rudely refused to replace it! Therefore, I demand that you give me a new camera for free to compensate for the inconvenience I experienced at the other store! Do it now, or I will never shop here again either!
            Wow, I've had that conversation.

Woman came in with a pizza, claiming it was "just awful" and demanding that i replace it.

When I pointed out, not unkindly, that it was a Domino's box and she was in a Pizza Hut she said that the service there was "shitty' and she "was never going there again! Now I DEMAND that YOU fix MY problem. NOW!" On and on blahblahblahwhiningcakes.

It got to the "phone in hand and the '9' and '1' keys have been pushed and was about to press the '1' key again" point when she left, hollering about how awful we were for "not standing behind our products."
            I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

was going to take all her business, and her family's business, and her in-law's business elsewhere if she didn't get her own way
              Ha!

What an amateur!

Every REALLY SC knows that the threat that brings mega-corporations to their knees is to badmouth them to their friend's neighbor's mailman's cat's vet. THAT gets results.

Nice EW. Whad management have to say?

Comment

Let her know that I was confident it was a battery problem, and suggested she probably should purchase a set of good quality batteries. No, the camera was still faulty after she'd waited 6 weeks for it, so we should give her a brand new camera.

why do I get the feeling a new model(with more/better features)just came out and she wants that one for free.

I seriously hate being this cynical
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                X