This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Nostalgia intensifies~

My husband was reorganising the boxes of stuff we (I) have stored in our garage, and brought in a bag that he thought I'd enjoy going through. At first glance it had old game cartridges and some DVDs. Well... it also had my Gameboy Advance SP and a bunch of games for it, including several Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda ones.

That was what got me into console gaming in the first place, lo these many years ago. It's plugged in to charge now and seems to be in perfect working order; Minish Cap started up right away. I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few days!

This plus the launch of WoW Classic (which has been eating all my free time and some time that was not technically free) has got me thinking... what do you have serious gaming nostalgia about?

A lot of those classic JRPGs... FF6, FF7, Chrono Trigger...

I have an SNES Classic, which has two of those on it. And while I have some concerns over some of the gameplay changes being made to the FF7 Remake, I'm still looking forward to it for that nostalgia hit.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Avatar. One of the very earliest multi-user first-person DND games. It pioneered many of the things that we have come to take for granted in MMORPGs, but it is not a direct ancestor to them. Rather, it was a case of convergent evolution; modern MMORPGs developed the same solutions to the same sort of problems that the developers of Avatar did back in the 70s.

For a while, I used to bop over to the everyvideogame forum and play emulated versions of some of the old NES games. The first Final Fantasy was a favorite...
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Command and Conquer

I can't see why/how EA killed it. Ok I've read the why/how but still can't brain.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

I "borrowed" my aunt's SNES Classic, I've been playing Earthbound off and on for the last few months along with Donkey Kong Country and a couple of others. I was around eleven or twelve when DKC came out....damn, where did those twenty-something years go off to?
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

OH I still love Quake 1, 2 and 3 and Half Life 1. They are a good 25 years old now I guess but they are my favorites. Can't find a lot of servers anymore though, I like playing online with others.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Do some of the sillier games count? I was never a gamer in the sense of buying games or equipment, but I do remember playing Commander Keene. I would stick around the newspaper office until well into the wee hours to I could play it on one of the office computers. A friend who was an OPP officer told me she used to feel sorry for me, seeing my car in the parking lot until all hours ... and then she found out why I was there.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

One caveat on GBA cartridge games -- Those that use batteries to store your saves might no longer have working batteries once they're a decade old or more (which would be, uhm...all of them that I know of at this point). Check them from time to time, as they might only hold data for a day or two and then just reset/delete all of your save files.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                  ... but I do remember playing Commander Keene. ...
                  I remember Commander Keen. I played the entire 7 game series.

Looks like a version is being made for mobile phones, but from the screen shots it's not the Commander Keen we all know and love.

Why can't they just port the old games over, and quit trying to "improve" and "update" them?
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    One caveat on GBA cartridge games -- Those that use batteries to store your saves might no longer have working batteries once they're a decade old or more (which would be, uhm...all of them that I know of at this point). Check them from time to time, as they might only hold data for a day or two and then just reset/delete all of your save files.
                    I haven't checked them all yet but my old save files in Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap and Final Fantasy 1 are there and working it's awesome!

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                      Do some of the sillier games count?
                      Silly games definitely count.

Comment

Quoth Valentinian View Post
                        Silly games definitely count.
                        Scorched Earth.

That kept me going along some very boring times in the Nav.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
                        X