This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Card or...card

Our local big sporting stadium has phased in 'Card only' outlets at their outlets. Started out at about half the outlets, and now it's pretty much all outlets that only accept card.

It's been widely publicised, and just as widely controversial. I personally don't see an issue with it as I always pay by card, and there are 'cash exchange' points where you can put cash on a pre-paid card to use at the outlets.

Anyhoo, I noticed someone having a massive rant about this, claiming they were forced to leave the venue because they only had cash, and if they didn't eat soon it would've triggered their diabetes - implying that had he fallen ill/died the stadium would've been negligent because he only had cash.

First, the cash exchange points are pretty clearly marked, and are easily accessible. They could've easily done this, and had the necessary sugar to boost your blood sugar levels.

Second, you claim you were on the verge of a diabetic episode yet had the time to leave the stadium, return to your car, and drive probably 10-15 minutes to a fast food restaurant. Had you been in that dire a position, you could've sought first aid at the ground.

Third, if your diabetes is that bad, plan for it by bringing food to the ground (BYO is perfectly fine, providing it's not alcoholic, in a can or glass). Bad planning on your part is hardly negligence on the stadiums part.
    the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

I'm mildly diabetic (pills only *knock on wood*) -- And just about EVERY insulin-dependent diabetic I've ever met carries either glucose capsules or some sort of easy-melting candy (e.g. Hershey's Kisses) on them at all times, for just such an emergency.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That is just someone looking for an reason to bitch and using diabetes as an excuse. Just like the people at the fast food joints scream after getting a Coke instead of a Diet Coke. "You're trying to kill me! I'm diabetic!". No, I am not trying to kill you. You are doing fine job yourself with that Big Mac and large fries.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

He definitely should have planned ahead. Really not that hard to keep some snacks on hand.

Quoth csquared View Post
        That is just someone looking for an reason to bitch and using diabetes as an excuse. Just like the people at the fast food joints scream after getting a Coke instead of a Diet Coke. "You're trying to kill me! I'm diabetic!". No, I am not trying to kill you. You are doing fine job yourself with that Big Mac and large fries.
        A sugar filled soda is a lot worse than a burger, no? Type 1s can eat it just fine and plan their carbs accordingly. For Type 2s, yeah, I can see the fries being bad. No one should be receiving an incorrect order IMO especially when it involves drinks.
        Last edited by Slayer; 01-12-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

The fries alone exceed what you should have in a meal. Combined, it is almost double what someone my size (6'4") should have. Yes, a Regular Coke is worse, but a Diet Coke does not make that meal healthy. Therefore, accusing the cashier of trying to kill you, is uncalled for. A simple "Excuse me. You gave me the wrong beverage." would be sufficient.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            The fries alone exceed what you should have in a meal. Combined, it is almost double what someone my size (6'4") should have. Yes, a Regular Coke is worse, but a Diet Coke does not make that meal healthy. Therefore, accusing the cashier of trying to kill you, is uncalled for. A simple "Excuse me. You gave me the wrong beverage." would be sufficient.
            Diet cokes aren't always about making a meal "healthy" but limiting sugar intake. A regular soda for a diabetic probably won't kill them but it definitely will cause a huge spike in levels. It's why people drink a 1/2 cup of regular soda when they're low. It's a poor choice of words but it should be taken seriously.

Comment

Working...
            X