This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course you can have no clue

So this weekend I was an instructor at an NRA Range Safety Officer class.
    I think most reading this in you mind have already went hum I bet it's about shooting guns at a range and knowing how to control such an situation.

Congrats your smarter then some of the students.

You don't need to be that movie guy that knows every detail of every gun ever made.
    but you do need a little more then an passing knowledge of how rifles shotguns and pistols operate incase there is an malfunction.

You do need to be able to tell someone what to do on a range if there is a emergency. ya think?

When presented with a classroom -your "it" what are you going to do?, exercise maybe you try to do some parts of what we just showed you? Guy just fell on the floor like he's hurt why are you people just sitting there?

Anyone? Buller?
    It's kind of our fault that we are trying to get more people qualed for BSA events but 5 of 16 #1 comment is despite the years of shooting, how much they didn't know.

It clearly said you would be inchange of a shooting range. I guess I make it look easy.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 01-16-2018, 10:05 AM.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    It's kind of our fault that we are trying to get more people qualed for BSA events but 5 of 16 #1 comment is despite the years of shooting, how much they didn't know.

It clearly said you would be inchange of a shooting range. I guess I make it look easy.
    I feel your pain, I'm a CRSO as well as a SG, rifle, BP and pistol instructor. I've also dealt with the BSA leaders before. I wasn't impressed.
    I've also assisted on some fed and state LEO quals. Just stand still while they're shooting at you, odds are you'll be safe.
    My 8yo can out shoot the majority.
    Last edited by EricKei; 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM. Reason: snip
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

uggh, I can't find my thread on here from last spring were one of our CSRO's though it was an good idea to handle a rifle when I was down range. Who's excuse was it's ok because it's pointed up.
      When asked if he was ok with this the RSO said yes.
      I made sure to bring this up and have them read out of the SOP PG13 para 2
      "no handling of firearms when people are down range"
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
        uggh, I can't find my thread on here from last spring were one of our CSRO's though it was an good idea to handle a rifle when I was down range. Who's excuse was it's ok because it's pointed up.
        Hey presto, found your thread.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Agh. I don't know much about guns, but the things are deadly weapons, not a toy.

And the guy falling over like he's hurt...first aid? I mean...if you freeze up like I would, that's not a safe thing when you're carrying such responsibility.
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Yea we stressed that fact.
            Bad part is if we were upfront will it, maybe 2 people would do it a year.
            AkaiKitsune

Comment

The one time I went to a firing range my instructor came over and explained what the sights on the pistol I was firing were for. I may not remember much about that class, but I do remember one thing he always emphasized: "Always assume a gun is loaded."

Comment

I used to run a couple pistol programs and I made it clear that I was in charge on the range and what I said was gospel no matter what. To get participation I cast out many invitations with the range safety rules and procedures. As usual you have one hard head that is usually former military or worse LEO. They don't follow the rules and some have the nerve to say the rules don't apply since they're some former something or other. I try to correct them person to person the first time, next time I drop the hammer. They usually leave. I hate do that but some folks you can't get through to. IMO LEOs are the worst especially state and fed LEOs.
                Thankfully these folks are very very few and far between.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Darwin Awards

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                  The one time I went to a firing range my instructor came over and explained what the sights on the pistol I was firing were for. I may not remember much about that class, but I do remember one thing he always emphasized: "Always assume a gun is loaded."
                  D.A. is full of stories of people killing themselves by pointing the gun at their head or blowing their nuts off because they stuck a gun under their belt, and always they think the gun is unloaded - but it was not.

Comment

Are there statistics on what percentage of accidental shootings are with an unloaded gun?

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                      Are there statistics on what percentage of accidental shootings are with an unloaded gun?
                      OK not being an dick,
                      But if it's not loaded it won't shoot. so 0%

Issue is people who handle guns with compliancy and get into bad habits of not checking and putting their booger picker on the bang switch when it's pointed at them or someone else.
                      Then surprise it's loaded.
                      There's https://youtu.be/am-Qdx6vky0 of an now former DEA agent showing off.
                      Now if you watch he does show up with an unloaded pistol Or just ejects the chambered round at the first mistake
                      :16 Mistake #1 it's not a range
                      :18 #2 he lock the slide back but LEAVES the loaded mag in and only shows a clear chamber to cop off screen notice he is pointing it in his direction the whole time
                      :30 #3 and where he seals his fuck up you hear and see him hit the slide release
                      (protip this is how you load it)
                      :36 (keep your finger off the trigger) bang
                      He manages to violate every rule and luckily he only hurt himself
                      1:54 he wants to show a rifle. oh hell no

His arrogance is equal to his compliance and I'm not picking on cops there are some "gun experts" that are just as bad.
                      https://youtu.be/5Ug2fIcln34

I'm just as goofy IRL but people who go shooting with me are somewhat caught off guard how it stops on an range.
                      Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 01-21-2018, 01:58 AM.
                      AkaiKitsune

Comment

The outdoor range we go to has amazing range masters. Any and all safety violations and dealt with quickly.

I got yelled at once because I didn't have the slide racked back during target inspection. My pistol was laying on the bench, clip out and my hands (and the rest of my body) 3 feet away. That wasn't good enough, range rules say the slide will be locked back and mine wasn't. I have never made that mistake again!

Comment

Working...
                        X