Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a calculator; let me know when you've figured out what you can afford.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
    Pixelated: Well, you definitely want a microwave, whether or not it's the one from Mom's. A microwave often makes the difference between "just heat it up", against "well, do I really want to dirty another pot and a dish or two?"
    It's a VERY small kitchen, so I need to be somewhat discriminatory in what I keep and what gets donated. However, I plan to take the microwave with me and see how much use I get out of it in my changed conditions (as in: I will actually be EATING AT HOME most of the time) before making any final decisions.

Also, of course, that means I might actually have dishes in the freezer that need only reheating ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

The instant pots take a up a lot of room and despite their claim that they do 97!Things!OMG, I find it mostly comes down to stewing food and keeping it warm. For 1-2 people, a little two-cup crock pot is all you'll ever need ... if that. I had an Instantpot and gave it away.

The thing I've found most useful is trolling Pinterest for quick recipes and "semi-homemade" things. I usually cook enough for 3-4 meals apiece and then either refrigerate or save some. But we don't crave a huge amount of variety; we can eat my delicious salsa chicken and rice for three meals in a week, no problem. I also buy chicken breast, trim it and portion it out into single-serving sizes that go into the freezer and use ice trays to freeze "sauce cubes" so I can quickly make a plate of pasta or something very quickly.

Finally, i've increasingly moved at least one meal a day toward uncooked food - say, yogurt with a banana and a couple of mandarins, or a cup of grapes or cut-up veggies, some nice cheese and flatbread. When it get so hot here, I actually like this better and it's often healthier than a more traditional cooked meal.

Comment

I've found stews are good things to make masses of, split up into individual portions and freeze. Same for bolognaise and DIY sauces.

Around here Chinese takeaways use clear plastic boxes; these are ideal for single portions and they stack well, plus you just loosen the lid to defrost and/or nuke them.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          I've found stews are good things to make masses of, split up into individual portions and freeze. Same for bolognaise and DIY sauces.

Around here Chinese takeaways use clear plastic boxes; these are ideal for single portions and they stack well, plus you just loosen the lid to defrost and/or nuke them.
          I have amassed a collection of those plastic quart containers with lids and reuse those to freeze unused portions of spaghetti sauce that I make by the batch in the Crock Pot.

I've also discovered another use for the Crock Pot recently - spareribs are easy. Just add your favorite sauce to them after you take them out and lay them in a cooking dish and heat in the oven to get the sauce good and warm . . . . yummy.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I just prepped a bunch of freezer crockpot meals. It's basically throwing food into a freezer ziplock bag. The day before you want to cook it, put it in the fridge. Then in the morning dump it into the crockpot and turn it on. There are recipes all over the place but there's no fiddling with any scary kind of cooking. (And you don't even have to precook the meat!)

I have anxiety/depression and a 1 year old. The crockpot is my best friend.

Oh, and I precooked a bunch of rice too, put about a cup into a bunch of 2 cup pyrex dishes. Then when it's food time you just put a tiny bit of water and nuke it in the microwave for a minute or so. Add other food. Done.

Comment

Get bag of pasta.Dump into pot. Cook. Chop in onions,mushrooms,tomatoes,peppers. Splosh about with various condiments(a bit of butter,mayo,Worcestershire sauce,soy sauce...whatever's in the cupboard.Throw in some cheese and herbs.
              Eat.You can eat a lot and it fills you up very cheaply.

Also....you can save money by checking out whats on the clearance at the supermarket and planning your menus.OK,today the battered fish is half price...then cod for tea it shall be. Sometimes you can make great finds... ham for 20p,a tub of spring greens for £1 and a lamb cutlet for £1... thats a decent filling dinner for less than the price of a Big Mac.
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
              X