Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's an interesting discussion -- songwriting...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    I find the most profound lyrics in '60s rock/psychedelic/whathaveyou. Examples:

It's A Beautiful Day's White Bird
    Buffalo Springfield's For What It's Worth
    The Doors' The End or Riders on the Storm
    Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction
    Simon and Garfunkel's The Sun Is Burning
    Well, Food Lady, I'm not necessarily even talking about "profound" lyrics. Your point stands, though.

I'm talking about the overall quality of lyrics on the radio today.

Of course, I shouldn't say too much about this, being as I don't really listen to a lot of "modern" pop music. So I might be, as my wife might say, "shaking my fist at a cloud".

At 41, I'm really not even old...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I get your point. It's how I personally measure quality.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

So, as I understand it, the original question was "Do you think songwriting has decreased in quality in the 15-20 years?"

To that I say no, I don't believe it has... but you have to look for the quality stuff, it doesn't 'pop' up in modern music so much anymore.
        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
          So, as I understand it, the original question was "Do you think songwriting has decreased in quality in the 15-20 years?"

To that I say no, I don't believe it has... but you have to look for the quality stuff, it doesn't 'pop' up in modern music so much anymore.
          Ah, good catch. I should have said "mainstream" songwriting. Because you're right about looking for the quality stuff. But it's not necessarily stuff that gets airplay.

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post

It didn't back then, either, it's just that you replayed, and remembered, the good ones. Remember Sturgeon's Law! (Jack Sturgeon responded to a complaint that "90% of science fiction is crap", with "yeah, but 90% of everything is crap!".)

Comment

Theodore Sturgeon, I believe, not Jack.

I think a fair bit of "it's all getting worse" is just old farts Just Not Getting It. There have been rich, complex lyrics in every age, and crap in every age.

Heck, take "Jingo", off Santana's first album. The lyrics?
              "O ma-ma O ba-ba O ma-ma
              Ooooooo! Jingo bah!"

Recent songs with good lyrics? How about "Someone I Used To Know"?
              "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness
              Like resignation to the end, always the end
              So when we found that we could not make sense
              Well you said that we would still be friends
              But I'll admit that I was glad it was over"

You can pick more of good or bad from any era you like.

Though on the other hand, it seems like there is a lot more "writing by committee" than there used to be. Not necessarily any more "prefab" stuff (a lot of 60s and 70s music was as calculated as any modern boy-band stuff), but apparently fewer songs written by one single vision.

I am old enough that I see a whole lot of "everything young people do is crap" from my peers. I have found that I enjoy reminding them of what our parents, and particularly our grandparents, said about us. And how we even have letters from Roman times, literally two thousand years ago, complaining about how awful the young generation is and how everything will fall apart the instant they come into power.

I'm sure that back far enough there were old cave-people sitting around complaining about this new "fire" thing their kids were obsessed with...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Your point is valid, Nunavut.

Aside from the following:
                • Lennon/McCartney
                • Leiber/Stoller
                • Hank Williams
                • Tom Petty
                • Bob Dylan
                • Prince
                • Diane Warren

Name a "modern" songwriter or singer/songwriter who could be considered a "great" or a "legendary" songwriter whose songs are actually getting airplay. Meghan Trainor? Pass. Taylor Swift? Eh.

That's more of what I'm getting at.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Your point is valid, Nunavut.

Aside from the following:

Name a "modern" songwriter or singer/songwriter who could be considered a "great" or a "legendary" songwriter whose songs are actually getting airplay. Meghan Trainor? Pass. Taylor Swift? Eh.

That's more of what I'm getting at.
                  Oh, "aside from these 7..." How about Sting? There was also Leonard Cohen, and there was that guy (Jim Steiner?) who made the rounds writing for the likes of Meatloaf and Madonna... Of course, most of both our lists are recent departures who were active from my own youth or before that.

The other thing is, we have no idea who future generations will consider to be "the greats". Remember, in his own time, Shakespeare was considered lowbrow.... (Of course, some of his plays are still pretty rough even in our jaded age -- "Titus Andronicus", anyone? Not to mention the modern side-eye for "Taming of the Shrew"....)

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                    Oh, "aside from these 7..." How about Sting? There was also Leonard Cohen, and there was that guy (Jim Steiner?) who made the rounds writing for the likes of Meatloaf and Madonna... Of course, most of both our lists are recent departures who were active from my own youth or before that.
                    Valid. But people aren't saying that Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift or Meghan Trainor are "good songwriters".

And I don't know that their music will endure like the ones I enumerated and the ones you mentioned.

Bieber and Trainor will likely be footnotes twenty years from now. In twenty years, it's likely people will STILL be listening to The Beatles and Hank Williams.

Comment

Working...
                    X