This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid eye contact...

So back when I worked at the fabric store there was this lady who came in frequently. She definitely had some sort of problem, possibly mentally and physically. She would come to the cutting counter and when an employee was finished with a customer, she would just come up and want her fabric cut. We had tried to explain the ticket system many times. I really don't know if she didn't understand or just didn't care. Either way she would very loudly say how much fabric she wanted and ignore us. It's very possible she has a hearing and/or eyesight problem.

After a while those of us who had worked there for a while knew her and would bypass trying to explain, look at the other people waiting apologize to them, and help this lady. Which was hard sometimes, when there was a lot of people waiting, and had been waiting for waaaay longer than this lady who essentially got helped immediately. I tried to not actively dislike her, tried to tell myself she wasn't doing it on purpose, but it's hard you know? When she seemed very abrasive and downright rude. If a CW didn't know her problems and tried to nicely tell her she was not next she'd be like "Two yards! NO! I'm next! TWO YARDS!" And when she got her cutting slip, she would storm off and not say thank you. I'm pretty sure that one time (heard this second hand) she got into an argument with someone (her caregiver?) and the caregiver left, and the manager had to call the police non-emergency line to get someone to take her home. But when I saw her she never had a caregiver, so I don't know if it's the same lady. We had quite a decent amount of troubled people who came through. It's a shame, because it's not their fault, but it's also hard to deal with as an employee.

Anyway... I've seen her a couple times. I think she moved into my apartment complex. I don't think she recognized me yet but in the past week or so I've suddenly seen her a lot. Meep.

ETA: Bleck, I sound super mean, slightly regretting this post. I guess I'm just somewhat traumatized because I remember how I felt when I had to help her and now she's in my complex and bringing the memories back.
    Last edited by notalwaysright; 02-03-2018, 06:42 PM.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

You never know. Was it a mental condition, or was she just a raging hose beast?

You can't say for sure, but you might have done her a favor if you had refused her service. She probably would have gone off and you would have had to call the police and have her hauled away. Sounds like a terrible thing to do to someone, but maybe, she would have been sent for a psychological evaluation and recommended for treatment. Or maybe, she gets locked away and everyone ignores that she needed medical treatment.

You could always try to becomes friends with her. Then you could find out if she has lost it or if she is just pure evil.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Do not engage her. Yes, she might just be someone that has issues and needs help. But she is already causing you to deal with bad memories any time you see her. You are not the person that can or should help her. It's ok to be looking out for yourself. You don't have to help everyone. Something I am trying to relearn at the moment.

Just keep avoiding her if you can. How long has it been since you worked at the fabric store? Is it possible that she won't recognise you? I have my fingers crossed that she won't remember you outside the place she used to see you all the time.

And if you is just a nasty piece of crap to everyone, then you don't want to invite that drama into your life by talking to her.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Great chatup lines #22... Would you like to see my raging hose beast?
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'm sure she has real problems, I just don't know if those problems are causing her behavior or if she's just a straight up SC. I don't always want to talk to people I know, much less try to talk to a random stranger who has been mean to me in the past, lol! I don't think she's recognized me. We walked right by each other near the mailboxes the other day so I know she's seen me. I've also seen her walk by through my window multiple times. My unit is basically in the middle of the complex so people are walking by a lot, going to the laundry or garbage or whatever.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've had one of my more irritable/irritating customers actually show up at my house as a cold-calling charity mugger before, and while I recognised him he just blinked once, then said "you seem familiar... have I been here already?" I said he had, he apologised & left, and the next time I saw him at my place of work he was just as oblivious as ever.

What I'm saying is that it's very unlikely she'll even notice you now, because she probably didn't pay any attention to you before. Good luck!
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think it's entirely likely that she won't recognize you, because... well, to her, even if it's a mental issue, you're all the same when you're in "uniform." Just one more drone to wait on her.

Don't beat yourself up over wanting to avoid her. If she has mental health issues, it's not your job to "help her," and if it's not, you certainly don't need a toxic person in your life. It's not like you're making snide comments or being a jerk to her. You're just keeping from making a tense situation worse by bringing yourself into the target zone.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Nobody recognizes a service drone out of their environment. I wouldn't worry about it and if she says anything to you about recognizing you, just give her a quizzical look while saying something about mailboxes. Or use my favorite line "I have no idea what you are talking about."

Comment

Working...
                X