Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for our fine New Orleans posters...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ours had come from our neighbors (some of them 2nd/3rd cousins) cows a few days before...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I was actually unaware that poutine was Old-World French in origin; I figured it was a Canadian invention. TIL. Thanks!
      It is a Canadian invention. The France references I put up was a comparison to just how militant the French are with protecting their food items.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Ahhh. Coolness.

nar: Well, as I said, they're basically all slight variations on a theme. Not to sound elitist (regionalist??), but the one notable thing is that it's apparently difficult enough to get NOLA style french bread just right (humidity and air pressure here are apparently unique or very close to it) in most places beyond the Greater New Orleans area. e.g. light/fluffy/aerated innards that practically dissolve in your mouth, within a thin, crispety-chewy crust. If the crust is more or less smooth (as if it were an oversized sub roll) with a dense, chewy inside, you've got the aforementioned "Italian bread dough in a different shape." WM does this, and it's not bad at all, just not real French.

All of the "French Bread" I've seen in most other places are normally either the Italian-esque type, or something closer to an actual French baguette (long, thin, tougher crust). Many places outside of the main area will simply drop stereotypical PB ingredients (e.g. fried oysters/shrimp) on a sub or hoagie roll and call it a PB instead of a sub or hoagie.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh, that makes sense. Like how sourdough starters are different depending on where the yeast came from. I like crispy but thin crusts, those are good. I've never understood why some bread has such a hard crust that it rips up the inside of my mouth. But hey, put "artisan" in the name and that makes it okay, right?
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Hahah, yeah. My mom digs those, actually. I could go for a good sourdough boule right about now, now that you mention it... >_>
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X