This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make proper plans you condescending bitch

The day before, a crew dismantled a bunch of workstation desks. In a completely idiotic move, or as I know it, standard MiM decision making for Mickey Mouse Moving, I'm on the re-install crew with nobody who was part of the dismantle. Okay, nothing I haven't dealt with before, all I need is a good floorplan and/or a co-operative client.

I'm handed a sheet of paper with a series of squares and rectangles and numbers throughout it. Okay, this is utter shite, but I can relatively figure out what they are going for, time to get some co-operation from the client.

Me: Hi Lisa, can we clarify the orientation we are going for here
    SC: Don't you have the plans?!?
    Me: Well I have this "sketch", but it doesn't show me where the returns go or which way you want your extended corners, or the straight desks
    SC: (flailing hands around do "draw" things out) The desk is going to go like this, then we have this 60 going across and coming out.
    Me: Oh, so you want this straight surface going perpendicular to the desk?
    SC: NO!!!! You can see where it goes right on the plan!
    Me: Oh, so you want it going across? Sorry, the sketch shows a square, not a 60x24 rectangle, it makes things a little confusing. You also said there is another surface going across.
    SC: Yes!
    Me: ...... okay, what will we be using for that?
    SC: It's the part that was there before.
    Me: Okay, I'm sorry I wasn't part of the dismantle crew and this part isn't even on this sketch. What surface was it.
    SC: Oh, it must be this one here.

She was talking down to me this entire time, like I was an idiot for not being able to figure everything out from the brilliant set of plans that she so carefully spent nearly 30 seconds scribbling out. Keep in mind, that she is not one of these office managers or mail clerks thrown into this position. She is a supposedly educated, supposedly qualified, supposedly competent, most definately highly paid facilities professional whose job it is to go around and co-ordinate these things. She has access to all the software she needs to make a proper floorplan, but she opted to go with this piece of crap.

So we get everything laid out as she instructed us to and things aren't lining up. The ends of the desks are larger than they should be. She looks at her plans and determines that the ends should be smaller. Obviously I don't have all the furniture. Okay, my truck is empty, we have 5 corners and 5 returns, this is everything. She pulls out a printed photo of the former layout. Not only is it a side view that only gives a view of the side ends of the desks, with the majority blocked by cabinets in the way. But somehow, I was supposed to see through the solid steel cabinets to figure out what was on the other side of them, ON A PRINTED PHOTO

She is at a complete loss here. She is sure that we must be missing furniture. She goes on to rant how she told everybody that they should have labelled everything. Yeah, you know who says "I told you so"? Losers, that's who. Managers, competent managers do what needs to be done to get the job done right, either with orders or by doing it themselves. They don't scribble something out and look for the nearest body to throw under the bus.

So I've had enough of her at this point. I decide to remove myself from her and consult with someone intelligent and competent to work this out - ME. Without the distraction of this conceited, condescending bitch in my ear, I quickly realize that her hand waved drawing was wrong and the solution is easy. All we have to do is reverse the extended corners and put the returns on the other side. To her protests, I proceed to do this, and she finally shuts up when the first one goes in place and she sees that I'm right. She's mildly grateful here, but it doesn't change her attitude.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

What's funny about this .. woman.. and her 30 second sketch, is I've seen the facilities guys at my work working on a proper CAD drawing of every.single.floor in our building - in massive detail. I'm not saying that she should have something like that, but... Even my NonTech Boss knew to draw something up in Visio to plan our desk moves!
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Sounds like the "plans" my former manager drew up for setting up the garden center at the swamp-- a bunch of random squares, rectangles and lines with "Not to scale! LOL" written at the top.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
        Even my NonTech Boss knew to draw something up in Visio to plan our desk moves!
        That can sometimes hurt you. When my company moved down the road some years ago, the main office area was a bit of a mess. The prior tenant--an architectural firm--had gone out of business, but left most of their furniture. As we are a brokerage, the drafting tables, the blueprint cabinets, benches in the model workshop (shame I didn't get there sooner, as I'd have cleared this room out myself ), and other facilities all had to come out. Similar situation in the former tool room and garage downstairs.

My boss spent several hours drawing up each floor with several sheets of graph paper. While he got the room measurements and other features correct...he apparently forgot the slightly raised electrical conduit down the center of the room, along the middle of the floor. Seems he had it *centered,* rather than being offset to the tune of a foot. This required shifting the desks (facing each other) to be shifted by the same amount. Normally, this wouldn't have been a problem. However, we had a crapload of file cabinets, which lined both walls. It wasn't a problem on my side of the room. Even with the cabinets, I had a generous aisle behind my chair. Not so on his side of the room. It was pretty cramped over there
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
          What's funny about this .. woman.. and her 30 second sketch, is I've seen the facilities guys at my work working on a proper CAD drawing of every.single.floor in our building - in massive detail. I'm not saying that she should have something like that, but... Even my NonTech Boss knew to draw something up in Visio to plan our desk moves!
          She has access to all the drawing software she needs, but chose not to use it. Even so, a hand drawn floor plan is perfectly acceptable, if the drawing makes it clear what each piece is. Hers didn't even come close. But of course, she wants to talk down to me like I'm an idiot who doesn't know what I'm doing because I can't interpret her "brilliance"; then upon realizing she screwed up, she just looks for someone to blame rather than looking for a solution.
          Quoth protege View Post
          he apparently forgot the slightly raised electrical conduit down the center of the room, along the middle of the floor.
          Sounds like a job I did a few years ago. They wanted to maximize the work areas, so they had it measured out to have aisleways at their absolute legal minimum, only to find out that the electric conduit pushed everything over 4 inches. They had to struggle to figure out how to shrink everything.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
          X