Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with "competition style" barbecue?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with "competition style" barbecue?

I've tried it before, and was very unimpressed.

I've had friends cook BBQ, and had BBQ in restaurants that I've thought was better than competition style.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Everyone's tastes are different. I loved smoked meat but I detest smoked chicken with BBQ sauce. I don't do the competition stuff but I have a BGE and smoker on a trailer for big cook-outs.
    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

I had never heard of competition style bbq, but I googled it and found this article interesting.

I have super weird taste with bbq and grilling. Basically about 90% of all fast-grilled meat is dry, in my opinion. Don't care how much sauce is on, it's yuck. When someone asks if I want grilled chicken I'm like, "or I could just have cardboard with some sauce." Even if other people say it's not dry I disagree. I do like slow cooked bbq. That tends to have a totally different texture. Slow cooked and smoked are the way to go!
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

nar - Same here.

The BBQ competitions around here all do it in the "You'd better have the meat in there by nightfall if the judging is noon the next day" style. Anything NOT slow-smoked won't even pass muster o_O
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          I had never heard of competition style bbq, but I googled it and found this article interesting.

I have super weird taste with bbq and grilling. Basically about 90% of all fast-grilled meat is dry, in my opinion. Don't care how much sauce is on, it's yuck. When someone asks if I want grilled chicken I'm like, "or I could just have cardboard with some sauce." Even if other people say it's not dry I disagree. I do like slow cooked bbq. That tends to have a totally different texture. Slow cooked and smoked are the way to go!
          There's a world of difference between fast grilled meat and smoked. Most smokers don't let the temps go over 250F if that high. Slow cooking/smoking allows the collagen in the meat to break down (That's the lip smaking taste/feel of smoked meat) and the meat (unless over smoked/cooked) retains it's juices. Quick cook/grill if not a tender cut will usually be tough and dry because the meat quickly shrinks and forces out the juices.

I also like smoked sausages and in particular bologna. I don't remember the name of the joint but in Memphis that has smoked bologna that is cut in thick slabs, deep fried and served up on white bread with their home-made BBQ sauce. It's good.
          I don't care for ribs, too little meat for too much money.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

There used to be a place (Luther's, maybe?) that did all-you-can eat BBQ ribs. It was worth the money that way. Some friends and I used to hit the place regularly in a pack.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

There's also the fact that slow smoke BBQ (aka "proper" BBQ) is essentially curing as it cooks which loosens protein strands and helps retain moisture. For fast grill food like a steak you get the same result by seasoning the meat with salt roughly a half hour prior to cooking and with chicken or pork by having it in a brine.

That said, if a meat is not meant for fast cook methods, no amount of prep is going to help. Some results can only be achieved by certain methods and there is no substitute.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

An imaginary (I hope) business niche totally unclear on the concept...

PDQ BBQ: Squeal to meal in minutes!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                X