This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Free Phone For You

Yesterday I get a call. A customer was asking if her phone was turned in, which happens often enough. I put her on hold and ask the Front End Supervisor over the walkie if one was turned in.

Two different people respond that phone were turned in. I ask the customer on the phone what her model was and she replies, very clearly, "A Samsung Galaxy 6 in a black carrying case."

I asked her to hold on so I could verify if either of the phones turned in matched her description. But she just said, "Nope, I'm coming back in." and hung up.

A minute later, the FES comes to the fitting rooms and asks me what model the customer was looking for. I told her exactly what the customer told me. "A Samsung Galaxy 6 in a black carrying case."

FES tells me that neither phone turned in was a Samsung Galaxy 6 in black carrying case.

A short amount of time later, a customer approaches me. Not the service desk, but me, in the apparel department. It's important to note that I only answer the phone and let people into the fitting rooms. Nothing gets turned in to me and most people would think to go to the service desk at the front of the store if they came in looking for something they lost.

The woman, who I guessed to be about early 20's if not barely eighteen, asks me, "Did you find my phone?"

"Are you the one I was talking to earlier?"

She stares blankly. So I ask, "Are you looking for the Samsung Galaxy 6 in the black carrying case?"

She says, "What picture did you see when you found it?"

"What do you mean picture?"

"Well, when you tap the screen it shows a picture."

"I didn't actually find any phone. You called and I was told two phones were turned in. But none of the phones turned in was the one you lost."

"Can I just see them?"

"Nope. The phone you described to me over the phone was not one of the ones turned in and that's all there is to it."

She gave up rather quickly. But she then told the FES that I never asked her what the model of her phones was. The FES found that a little odd since I clearly told her what the customer on the phone told me.

Was it the same customer over the phone? I doubt it because that customer told me very clearly what her phone was, right down to the color of the carrying case. I doubt you would forget that succinct information five seconds later.

You could probably say that I shouldn't have asked this person if the model she was looking for was the one the customer told me over the phone and you're probably right. I did ask later on if I had dropped the ball over that case but the FES didn't think so.

My personal theory as it that this customer heard the chatter over the walkie talkies. At any given time there can be about ten of them on the floor, including the ones at the service desk, the ones at the registers, one at fitting rooms and another at the Jewelry counter and Electronics. And we're not exactly James Bond communicating with the other agent at the chicken fight, anyone can hear the walky chatter if they're in the area.

I think this woman heard there were phones missing and was possibly trying to take one home with her. But that's still just my theory.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

I accidentally left my phone on a shelf at AC Moore. I was still in the area and heard someone say they found a phone and gave it to the framing lady. I said I think that’s mine. She asked what it it looked like. I immediately said pink iphone, purple case and she handed it over. You’re probably right about fishing for a phone. She wanted you to say the picture so she could go to the service desk and identify it with the picture.

Comment

Gentleman found my phone next to my car in a parking lot. He called the number I had identified as "home", and Turtleguy told him who I was and where to find me, so I heard my name paged at the store I was in. I thanked him very much. My phone is old and doesn't do anything except for make calls, so no one wants it, although I think the man who gave it back was being honest.

Comment

I think she was fishing for a phone.

Let me share my good phone Samaritan story:
        I work nights, so having to be somewhere at 11am cuts into my sleep time. Plus, I was getting around by bicycle so getting anywhere was an issue. So while I was riding home from a mid-day thing 8 miles from home, my phone got dropped.
        Thank god it is legal to ride on the sidewalks here: someone found it, and called the number marked "home" in the contacts list. So I got home to a message that someone had found my phone. (I had noticed it was missing, and searched the last mile or so before I noticed it was gone, but had finally given up.)

I explained that I get around by bicycle, and asked if she could bring it to me. She was about 5 miles away.

When she gave it to me, I gave her a $20 bill. It was a $15 phone, but not losing all of my contacts information was a huge relief, and .... good people deserve to be rewarded. At that moment, getting my phone back before I went to bed was worth $20.

Comment

Awww. Yeah my phone was a gift but in have almost a hundred dollars worth of minutes rolled forward on it and it's definitely not cheap enough to lose.

I can't imagine how people can lose track of a phone that would cost half my rent, or a full refrigerator for two months and a few loads of laundry.
          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
            I can't imagine how people can lose track of a phone that would cost half my rent, or a full refrigerator for two months and a few loads of laundry.
            Forgetfulness, tbh. My best friend has had her phone lost and stolen more times than she can count. But then again she leaves it all over the place too. Her car, the bathroom, her pocket at work. She puts it down somewhere, gets distrcted, and then plays โ€œwhereโ€™s my phone?โ€

My boyfriend gave me the money to purchase a new phone last year, plus a case. The phone lives in my purse or my desk when I charge it. And in public, I make sure to keep it close to me.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
              Forgetfulness, tbh. My best friend has had her phone lost and stolen more times than she can count. But then again she leaves it all over the place too. Her car, the bathroom, her pocket at work. She puts it down somewhere, gets distrcted, and then plays “where’s my phone?”

My boyfriend gave me the money to purchase a new phone last year, plus a case. The phone lives in my purse or my desk when I charge it. And in public, I make sure to keep it close to me.
              And people wonder why when I (for the last 3 phones over the last 13 years) got the military grade, weather resistant, drop/shock resistant, built-to-last phone with a good sturdy belt clip. My phone goes on my waistband or belt almost all the time from when I wake up to when I go to bed. NOT that I am ball-and-chained to it like I was when doing 365/24/7 Tech Support many years ago.

BUT I do live alone. AND am doing lots of outdoor projects on my house so if something happens I have my phone with/on me at all times.

I also have a job that sometimes needs a phone on the road (pizza delivery).

My phones have become part of my wardrobe so to speak. I rarely let my phone out of my grasp or sight and when it is not being used it is in belt clip or somewhere (like in my bed's headboard) where I know exactly where it is (I use a previous phone as an alarm clock).

I just do not want to spend money on a lost phone if at all possible. These things are NOT cheap these days.
              Last edited by Racket_Man; 02-19-2018, 06:45 AM.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My last phone had an Otter case -- this one doesn't, but I still keep close track of it, because it qualifies as my External Brain Pack. (Remember PDAs? Those were one of the few cases where I was an early adopter.)

Comment

This reminds me what happened at my second job. My co-worker just walked into work around 6am. She looks into her purse and found out her phone was left in the uber that she took. She asked, "Can I borrow someone's phone?" The guys in the break room all turned their backs on her. I sighed and stood up, giving her my phone. After a few more minutes, the uber driver said he'd come back in 20 minutes because he had a next client in the car already, which was odd because the uber driver dropped her off within 2 minutes.

So, 3 hours later and me cussing out the uber driver because she had to use my phone constantly, the uber driver came back and walked into the store. The customer service worker called over the intercom to let my co-worker know that he is here. She goes up to the front and the uber driver asks her, "What color is your phone?" She replied, "It's (Whatever model it is) with a pink case." The uber driver then held out his hand and said, "Where's my tip?" My co-worker had no cash on her. She replied, "Sir, I don't have cash on me."

The uber driver had his hand towards his pocket like he had her phone and turned and started to leave. What the hell? My co-worker went after him and he ran to his car and legit stole her phone. She then called the cops. Once the cop came, I showed the cop the messages that they were texting. The cop called the uber driver and he wasn't going to bring the phone back because he didn't believe her.
                  ρσяยขєℓαιη ∂σℓℓ ☆

Comment

Quoth naminator View Post
                    The uber driver had his hand towards his pocket like he had her phone and turned and started to leave. What the hell? My co-worker went after him and he ran to his car and legit stole her phone. She then called the cops. Once the cop came, I showed the cop the messages that they were texting. The cop called the uber driver and he wasn't going to bring the phone back because he didn't believe her.
                    What an idiot!! Did she ever get her phone back? Hope jackass lost his job!

Comment

Quoth naminator View Post
                      I hope the cop arrested the Uber driver for the theft and attempted ransom.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                      X