This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*hangs head in shame*

we do this sometimes, often we plan our weekly shopping so that we go right after we've just come from the pharmacy down the block to pick up prescription pain meds, so we'll grab a couple of sodas out of the coolers in the front of the store as we're coming in so we can take a pill as we're in pain.

But we ALWAYS have the cashier ring them up though so hopefully it makes up for it
    "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

I'm definitely good with someone opening and at least partially consuming a product for immediate medical needs.

Having had a diabetic co-worker some years back, and from what I've heard from some other diabetics, I understand how important it is to get the blood sugar immediately under control.

Having been overweight (obese) for years, I've come close.

Some six or so years ago, I was diagnosed as borderline. More recently, as within the last 2 3/4 years, very surprisingly, my "numbers" were so far off what would even be borderline, my Care Providers are not even remotely concerned.

And that's good, because I have enough other chronic medical conditions to be concerned about.

Mike
      Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        I remember that conundrum from my days at the checkout.

It's not a problem if the person hands over the empty packet/bottle/can right from the start. It is a problem if they try and hide the empty container, or if they consume weighed items.
        Exactly. People bring me the packages which have bar codes and are not weighed items. Actually, come to think of it, our produce is not by the pound, either. Grapes are pre-weighed and packaged with a bar code. Single items have a code. (That brings up a pet peeve; I need the code. I can't just punch in a piece of produce as 79 cents).
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Customers eating weighed items is the main reason that the supermarket stopped having a salad bar. People would go to the salad bar, measure out some fruit or salad stuff, scoff it, then proudly present the empty container at the till. Meaning a hold up while a supervisor went to fill another container for weighing purposes with new potatoes, the heaviest salad bar item. Eventually, the system was switched to set prices cuz of customers being too greedy to wait til they got out the store to eat their salad stuff, but the constant complaints about the set prices being too high meant that it was easier to just scrap the salad bar.

So basically, greedy customers who eat weighed items is why we can't have nice things.
          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            That brings up a pet peeve; I need the code. I can't just punch in a piece of produce as 79 cents.
            This too! I *love* when customers tell me what the fruit or vegetable is when I have to look up the code I know what it is! I do this all day. I need the code.
            Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

Quoth MelindaJoy77 View Post
              This too! I *love* when customers tell me what the fruit or vegetable is when I have to look up the code I know what it is! I do this all day. I need the code.
              I've done that when there is a difference between new reds and red potatoes. Not only is one smaller they usually aren't the same price. So you may do it all day but even cashiers who can memorize all codes might blank on a item types name.

Comment

Unless it's bananas. Even the customers have memorized that number.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                  Unless it's bananas. Even the customers have memorized that number.
                  That's because they ARE bananas!

*ducks under the desk*
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    *ducks under the desk*
                    (Moves desk to Scranton)
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I was ringing yesterday, and had a few people with kids come through my line with half a banana. Those are sold by weight When that happens I put another light item (bell pepper, etc) to make up for the weight. If an SC is particularly dense/oblivious I'll use a potato

Grapes are also by weight, but the bags do have barcodes on them which cause all kinds of havoc at SCO. There is a way to tell the system to ignore those codes, but ASM prefers to torture us...as in SM did lock those codes out two weeks ago, but they're scanning again.
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-10-2014, 02:29 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Do they actually think you have not encountered vegetables before? 'That's a carrot.' 'Indeed it is sir.Aren't you clever?'
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I actually have a regular customer, a sweet older guy, who always buys kale when he comes in. When he hands it to me, he always says "That's kale, number 4627", but he's always so nice about it that I don't mind

The SC that stands out to me is one time a couple of years ago, a lady was buying an acorn squash. It didn't have the sticker on it, and I hadn't memorized the number yet, so when I started to look it up, she says "That's acorn squash" with a bit of attitude. Well, I had just cooked some a few nights before that so I just said as cheerfully as I possibly could, "Oh I know! I just need the number." I got catbutt face after that.
                          Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter.

Comment

The only time a clerk is really unable to identify something that needed to be punched in was something like herbs. Sage, rosemary, thyme, and others often look like eachother, and it's especially difficult if it's in a bag with condensation obscuring it further. The best way to identify it is by smelling it, and I think the clerk would get some looks from certain customers if they started sniffing the bags.

But other than that, unless the clerk is a complete newbie and never saw fruit or veggies before (which has happened, but not often) they can identify them without customer assistance.
                            Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                            Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                            Fiancee: What?!
                            Me: Nevermind.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                              'That's a carrot.'
                              Why yes it is. But you see the register requires much more specific instruction than that. There are a dozen varieties of carrot just in this store, so the register needs to know which particular kind of carrot this is. For that, I must give it the code, which I've just found is ID-10-T. That'll be 79 cents please. Thank you, see you next time!
                              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

...But..but the sign says Small Carrots 49 cents each....
                                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                                X