This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's like the best kept secret

So, the C-store I work at has a loyalty card that among other things gives you a discount on gas (it also serves as your punch card for anything we have by 10 get one free or buy 6 get one free, as well as earning points that can be redeemed in our online store). Up until August 31st you could use the card for the fuel discount (and nothing else) even if you hadn't registered your card. This was actually a mistake in the programming, it was never intended to allow that. So, from about June onward we've had signs on each pump, signs at the entrance, and signs at each register reminding people that if they do not register their cards before August 31st they will lose their fuel discount. We have also been printing that on the bottom of every receipt. Oh, and the in store ad track (which also plays out at the pump) about every two minutes looped around to reminding people to register their cards to keep their discount. Starting September 1st we replaced all the signs with ones saying "Not getting your discount? Make sure to register your card online to get your discount back." (okay, that may not be an exact quote, but close enough).
    At least once an hour now I've had people yelling and screaming about how dare we take away their fuel discount and not tell them. It's gotten to the point where management* has outright told us to be blunt and even rude right back. We have been told that we may say "We had it posted on every pump, at every register, on the doors, on the bottom of your receipt, and on the ad track, that you didn't see all of that isn't our fault, all we can do is point you in the right direction to register your card so it works again."
    *store level management, corporate of course feels we should still bend over backwards to appease people who can't read. Let's face it, we are the cheapest gas station within 2 miles and our in store prices are the cheapest without going to a drug store or full service store, we aren't going to lose any customers over a blunt reminder that we can only lead the horse to water.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

And, inevitably, you're getting people who's response to that is "How dare you make me expend any effort at all to get what I want!!! Blargleblargleblargle!!!!"
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I knew where this was going all along. Having worked in retail, dealing with customers who either don't want to read, or just can't, it just doesn't surprise me anymore.

Comment

The Aliteracy plague strikes again!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This looks like a good place to drop this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	brace yourself.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	2030473
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I believe I know which company you work for - and I registered mine months ago!
            Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Quoth seigus View Post
              I believe I know which company you work for - and I registered mine months ago!
              Have you yet upgraded to "really cold liquid" card to keep receiving drink discounts?
              That has been the other bitch fest.
              Why aren't the extra large drinks still a dollar?
              Because that was a limited time sale, that was always advertised as a limited time sale, that actually went longer than any other sale we have ever done.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

No, I don't generally buy those, but your concern is excellent customer service!
                Life's too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Working...
                X