This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yelling at the Bossman

So we had a busy weekend with two weddings and two other groups checking in, and it was a bit of a crunch, but we were checking people in and people were generally in a good mood and everything was going swimmingly.

That is, until the event organizer for Group A came up. He was carrying half a glass of wine, and I'm not entirely sure it was his first glass. Everything he said was in the rudest, snobbiest, most self-righteous tone you can imagine.

SC: "I would like to speak to a manager about the WiFi situation."

So I grabbed AGM. I had not heard of any "WiFi situation" so far that day, but no matter what it was, I knew AGM would want to deal with this person personally since this group was VVIP (big $$$) and we wanted everything to go well with them.

AGM: "Hello, sir. I understand there is something with the WiFi?"
    SC: "Well, none of my people can get WiFi in the ballroom, but that's really only an example of one of the issues we have with you. I'm telling you, I have never been somewhere so upsetting. You really do not know how to accommodate guests."

Now, as an aside, AGM is a total SC whisperer. Watching him work is like magic. It's really something to see, I gotta tell you. It's like a superpower! I have seen him turn all sorts of SCs around to get them calm and happy. All sorts...except this time.

AGM: "Sir, I want you to know that we are here to serve you and your guests, from the moment you walk in these doors to the moment you leave. I want to help you. I apologize for the WiFi and I will work with my IT director to make it right for you."
    SC: "No no no, because the WiFi is just one of the issues. I should not have my guests knocking on my door telling me their door doesn't work or they can't get WiFi. My towel was wet when I checked in. And your staff..." *here he gestured to my coworkers and I* "...has done nothing, NOTHING, to follow up on these issues!"

Now at this point I'm confused, because I've heard no complaints from anyone, so this is all news to me. I mean, I can't follow up on an issue if no one has told me about an issue.

AGM: "I apologize again, sir. I am here now to personally assist you and make things right..."
    SC: "Now I'm going to interrupt you. Because I don't believe your staff are trained well enough to resolve anything."
    AGM: "Our staff is trained..."
    SC: "No, because if they were trained we wouldn't be having these issues! And I think YOU are the core of everything wrong with this place!"

And that's when I hit him in the head with the stapler, officer. Or at least, that's what I was really restraining myself from doing right at that point.

AGM: "Sir, if there are any staff issues here, I promise I will address them. Right now, I would like to personally assist you. We want you and your group to have the best experience possible this weekend. Now, what can I do to make things right?"
    SC: "Just forget it. You aren't even listening. Just...I'm done" *throws up his hands and storms off*
    AGM: *heavy sigh*
    All of the front desk staff:

I spoke with everyone at the desk to try and figure out WTF that was all about. There was apparently one person who had a dead door lock battery when they checked in, and it was addressed immediately, so...

I did get some WiFi complaints that night, but it was all after SC's tirade, and I was able to help the guests who did call me get connected.

As for his complaint of staff "not following up" on issues? Apparently the SC had actually checked in the night before and the AC in his room was leaking, causing a damp towel. He refused to move, though, and wanted it fixed the next day. And so the next day he left...with his "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door all day long, so of course no one went in the room.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    I knew AGM would want to deal with this person personally since this group was VVIP (big $$$) and we wanted everything to go well with them.
    And because of this I'm guessing SC got what he wanted instead of being told in no uncertain terms what he could do with his out of the blue complaints...

Comment

Oh God he sounds awful. All he wanted to do was complain and demean you all, so he rebutted all attempts of help, because then you'd look good and end up making him look bad. I HATE people like that. I loathe them.

Comment

WHY do hotel guests never seem to realize that "Do Not Disturb" signs mean hotel staff will NOT enter the room...no. Not at all. They will not magically read your mind and realize that you actually do want the cleaning crew/repairer/etc able to enter. Do Not Disturb, means just that.

Idiots.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
          WHY do hotel guests never seem to realize that "Do Not Disturb" signs mean hotel staff will NOT enter the room...no. Not at all.
          Yep. I used to work in Room Service, and we wouldn't retrieve any trays from inside the room, if the Do Not Disturb sign was hanging. Yet without fail, we'd have some complaints that we never took the tray. That's why you leave it OUTSIDE the door, so we don't have to knock and disturb you.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

SC: "I would like to speak to a manager about the WiFi situation."
            Okay, starts off with possibly a real problem.
            SC: "No no no, because the WiFi is just one of the issues.
            And now it's multiple problems?
            SC: "Now I'm going to interrupt you. Because I don't believe your staff are trained well enough to resolve anything."
            Oh, now nothing can be fixed at all!
            SC: "Just forget it. You aren't even listening. Just...I'm done" *throws up his hands and storms off*
            So what was the point of this display? Is it that he wanted everyone to know he's a jackass? Success!
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

God I hate people like this. Complain, complain, complain, but never in a way that means you can actually fix anything. Then they complain even more. What the hell did this asshole want, since he never gave any real details?

I'd like to think it was the alcohol talking, but probably not.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

WHY do hotel guests never seem to realize that "Do Not Disturb" signs mean hotel staff will NOT enter the room...no. Not at all. They will not magically read your mind and realize that you actually do want the cleaning crew/repairer/etc able to enter. Do Not Disturb, means just that.

Idiots.
                "Why" may be because they stayed at the same motel I once did. I intentionally left the dnd sign up all day, and they came in and did the room anyway.
                I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Idiots.
                  Yeah, when I went out of town last weekend, I had a DND sign up on my door all weekend. This is partly because it was only going to be two nights, and I didn't anticipate needing anything from housekeeping. Plus, I had my laptop in the room, and I didn't want it to get stolen or something.

Sunday afternoon, when I headed out to go to the show I was in town for, some housekeepers asked if I needed anything, "'cuz you've had the sign on your door for two days," I thanked them but told them no, "and besides, I'll be checking out this evening, anyway."
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

But if you fix it, whatever will he have to complain about?
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

that sc was just trying to puff himself up. The male version of the EW, the Egomaniac.
                      You agm sound like this guy I use to work with. He could silence a crying baby with just one smile. It's a mystery to me how he did it. Was it charm? People personality? Good acting?
                      Well, he was an actor.
                      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                      X