This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad end to our city...

Our city has been burning for a day now....

No signs of dying down.The Cathedral Close,Cathedral and lots of Tudor buildings are all under threat-especially as they're all wooden timbers.One of the buildings opposite is the Ship Inn,the favourite local haunt of one Sir Francis Drake.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Well, damn.

I don't know what else to say . . .

Comment

O_O

Holy &^#$...

Sending good thoughts & prayers up y'all's way.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been to the UK twice and I've always admired your willingness to protect your heritage. Here in Canada, it seems like old buildings have no value and are simply dumped on the scrap heap on the slightest excuse.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I'm so sorry to hear this. I've been to the UK twice and I've always admired your willingness to protect your heritage. Here in Canada, it seems like old buildings have no value and are simply dumped on the scrap heap on the slightest excuse.
          To be fair, our oldest buildings are not that old compared to the UK. However, our lamentable attitudes ensure they'll never GET old... :P

Comment

There was a bit of a to-do a few years ago when they wanted to rebuild some of the Ship and get rid of some of the beams that had graffiti on them.We soon made them change their minds when it was revealed that said scribblings were by a group of sailors from the 1580s,who were friends of Mr.Drake and who were with him on his round-the-world trip. The graffiti stayed.
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
              There was a bit of a to-do a few years ago when they wanted to rebuild some of the Ship and get rid of some of the beams that had graffiti on them.We soon made them change their minds when it was revealed that said scribblings were by a group of sailors from the 1580s,who were friends of Mr.Drake and who were with him on his round-the-world trip. The graffiti stayed.
              That's awesome. I have some pics from Japan of graffiti carved into a bench, because it's kanji and really pretty.

Also, here's a non-Facebook link. Really sad, it's collapsed. I live in a cute older neighborhood (old by our standards!) and each time an old house is bulldozed, and a new monstrosity is built, it hurts.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Oh, that's just awful! Does anyone even know how the fire started?
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

From what we've heard,it started in an art gallery from some old wiring.There was an explosion on the first floor yesterday,but it's still steadily burning.

Comment

Oh, good grief. Someone should've been checking things like that routinely.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well...bump bump... this week the last stores in the High Street opened again after having to clean out the smoke and ash and give their products a good scrub.Fortunately some of them had two branches in town,so everyone just decamped to the other one.
                      And the city council managed for once to actually do something that was extremely popular and got some of the firemen involved to be this year's bodies to switch on the Christmas lights.

Comment

And in the last two weeks we have lost one of our leisure centres that has burnt down-everyone got out OK-the staff managed to wrap them up in nice foil towels and take them somewhere less fiery...but it will only add to the council's insistence they build us a new swimming pool that no-one actually wants...

And now this week,there's been a big fire on the industrial estate,so we've lost several companies there(mainly waste recycling,things like that). The EnviroHub-('environmentally friendly waste management') is now a big black twisted jellybean and the amounts of smoke pouring out of it were not at all friendly to the environment...

Comment

Just plain tragic.
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                          X