Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me what it is about a dollar?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone tell me what it is about a dollar?

Hi everyone!

I recently started work as a seasonal worker at a dollar store which I will refer to as DT because I'm lazy and tired. As its been a month I have things to share.

First the basics:

I chit chat while I work. This isn't just because I'm nice and enjoy talking to people. No, this is because it allows me to do two things.

one: gauge my customers. Are they annoyed by the lines? Could they not find something? Are they are having a bad day? Can they speak English? Right now we are doing a donation drive and chit chat lets me know if they might be interested. Among other things.
    Two? It distracts my customers. I'm still relatively new and can't always find bar codes, or the bags stick, or things want to attack me ect. ect. ect. Getting them talking means they aren't watching me intensely as i wrestle with 10 rolls of wrapping paper into a bag around my wrist while trying to scan 3 more items.

I actually rarely make eye contact with my customers because of this.

So please don't give me a nasty look in line, i will be just as nice and chatty with you and I'm still one of the fastest cashiers on staff.

Other basics: You can't shock me, I don't speak anything but English and I don't mean to sound cold, but I can't coddle you through using your debt card.
    Also, I don't care that you hate the chip. If you hate the chip cut up your credit cards and only use cash.

On to a few stories.

When High, Get a bag man
    I had a..... gentleman.... come into my line with 3 items which he handed me, and promptly ignores me to focus on the shiny shiny balloons on the wall.
    He is obviously, distractedly high. Like, I don't know how he is standing up straight, what ever hes on its probably illegal in 50 countries, high.

One scanned right away but the other came up with errors. I examine the packages and they look like some one the frozen burritos we sell.

Again, I'm new, I don't know what all our frozen burritos look like, especially since I don't eat them myself.

So I start keying them into the system in order to ring them up. I'm almost done with the first one when mister SUI (shopping under the influence) comes around and looks at me and my register long enough to see what I'm doing and it slowly dawns him what I'm doing.

SUI: Ohh wait...
    ME: *looks up, arches an eyebrow" Yes?
    SUI: I already bought those. At Safeway, not..... here?.
    ME: *Dafu....* Oh, you did hand them to me.. I'll remove the one i rang up.

SUI pays for his drink and rejects the bag I offered him. In general I was annoyed, if your so high you can't remember where you are, get a bag for your munchies.

Dear parents:
    Hi parents!
    I like kids.
    I'm even going to school to be a teacher.
    I'm going to let you in on a secret.

Your child? They don't understand sales tax. I know I know, you understand sales tax but your kid? I might as well be telling them Santa has been sleeping with you and your significant other when they come through with a toy, or other silliness and its $1.09.

If your sending your kid to the DT alone, either give them your card or give them extra change. If your letting them buy their own stuff while you shop, give them a freaking quarter ahead of time, because they are going to buy their stuff and be short the tax. Either they put something back or you dig through you purse or you just have me ring you all up together after all, and you deal with wither or not the kid actually uses their own money on the object/s.

Also with the food, yes the candy, chips, soda, cookies, cereal, most of the stuff kids want is tax free. Except.... certain frozen objects. Yes, in the State of Arizona certain frozen items have sells tax, only exception is with EBT. Those 5 ice cream sandwiches? Yes there is going to be like a 20 cent tax on that. No I can't fix it.

Charity does not = discount
    Our store sells alot of objects that people like to buy for donations, or offices, or events.

We won't give you a discount just because your buying 100 object to donate.

The community may enjoy your generosity but if you bought all this at Wally world you would probably spend like 300 dollars, your spending like 109. Accept the deal and move on.

I can't help you here
    Lady comes in. Largish order.
    Paying with a chip card.
    Inserts card. Pulls it out while its processing.
    Husband tells her she needs to leave it in.
    Inserts card, part two. Pulls it out while its processing.
    I tell her she need to leave it in until I tell her to remove.
    Inserts card, part three. Pulls it out while its processing.
    The whole line tells her to keep it in until I tell her to remove.
    Inserts card, part 4. I'm dreaming of a hot shower. Pulls it out while its processing.
    The whole store groans in agony.
    Lady quickly digs out the cash and leaves.

Ok I understand language is hard but...
    My last story for the night
    Little Old Spanish Speaking Lady, Her Husband and Her Son/Grandson.
    My chit chat routine quickly determines she doesn't speak English, so I result to smiling and quickly ring her up.
    I get to the total, and tell her it.
    Lady stares at me.
    I repeat the total.
    Stares at me some more, glances at the display, looks at her husband.
    I repeat the total and point to the display.
    Lady stares at me with total confusion, squints at the display and trys to look around at my register.
    I repeat the total, breaking down the number.
    Lady looks to son/grandson, who isn't paying attention and is actualy on his phone and walking out of the store. Husband appears to be trying to tell her the total now.
    I point to the display again, and grab a pen to write it down in larger numbers.
    Lady now ignores me and trys to get her husband to count the money out of her purse, husband refuses.
    I call for backup because my line is getting crazy now.
    Lady finally digs out exact change. I cash her out.
    Lady leaves finally and I wonder if this is why people drink.

Look I understand that not everyone speaks English, but if you can't understand the total of a translation you may need a translator app or help shopping.

ok off to sleep.

Ok the chip cards have been around for a while now, and this woman can't figure out you have to wait until it's done processing to pull it out? How does she ever get any purchases made? And how can she not follow basic instructions given to her many times, probably in every store?

geeze the stupidity in some people amazes me, and yet they go out and drive probably. Scares me to death.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

She probably went home to write her congressman about how her bank is scamming her because they won't let her use her money.... or that the Chinese are hacking her credit cards....
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Numbers

Almost the entire world uses the same number system, all bills of money also shows their value using the same numbers.

I have been to Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica, and many other countries. In half of them I can't understand the shop-keepers' speech (but a can of coke looks the same the world over) and they just have to point to the cash-register display and I can figure out the bills. Some coins are not so easy, but bills are always easy.

Comment

Mexico, Canada, Germany and Asia. The numbers all look alike and the bills all have numbers. Most of the coins do as well, but I will confess to just holding out a handful of change and asking the clerk to take what is needed. If anyone took the wrong amount and pocketed a few yen, I didn't notice and I wouldn't have cared.

Comment

Once upon a time I was in the local drug store in the US. A young woman of apparently eastern European origin held out a handful of change to the clerk and asked if it was enough to pay for what she was buying.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              Ok the chip cards have been around for a while now, and this woman can't figure out you have to wait until it's done processing to pull it out? How does she ever get any purchases made? And how can she not follow basic instructions given to her many times, probably in every store?

geeze the stupidity in some people amazes me, and yet they go out and drive probably. Scares me to death.
              My only problem with CC with chips is (in the US) what places ACTUALLY use the chip and what places are swipe only.

Other than that I am good.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

And that leads to a whole new discussion, about customers that can't understand the difference between a chip card and a swipe card.

One local eatery has chip readers that have cardboard cards in the chip slot that say "chip reader not working yet", and the folks who work the counter tell me they can't even count the number of times someone has pulled that out of the slot and tried to put their chip credit card in. And there are other places that just taped over the slot; presumably they will have to clean off the adhesive residue once the chip reader is enabled.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                X