This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're welcome... BITCH.

So yesterday I was cleaning out the fitting rooms; as usual, the evening crew wandered off leaving the fitting rooms a disaster. Clothes and hangers strewn everywhere, trash, and oh, yes, someone left a used diaper laying in there as well. Also, blatant signs of massive theft. Product packaging for non-clothing items all over the place.

Enter Suburban Princess (SP). She trots into one of the rooms I’ve just finished giving the spit ‘n polish to, spends about ten minutes in there, and trots back out empty handed, leaving the room… you guessed it, an absolute wreck.

As I enter the room to clean it again, and start piling the clothes into the shopping cart to be re-hung, what do I come across but a fairly substantial (and obviously pricey) cell phone left behind by SP. I stuck my head out to see if she was nearby, but no – so I toss the cell phone onto my cleaning cart so I can turn it in to the front desk, and go about my task.

Another few minutes passes, and I’m heading out of the fitting room area, when SP comes running past me, wide-eyed and out of breath. She apparently didn’t see me trying to get her attention.

A few seconds later, and she’s run back from the fitting room. By now, I have her cell phone in my hand and I’m holding it for her. She snatches it out of my hand like a starving dog might snatch a piece of meat from the hand of a sympathetic passer-by, all the while giving me a glare that could freeze steam mid-air.

Now, I’m long accustomed to a distinct lack of courtesy from this breed of individual – that is, I’m not expecting a thank-you or even an acknowledgement.

But to be accused of theft… yeah, that’s a new low.

Yes, SP tried to accuse me of trying to appropriate her phone. OF COURSE I’m trying to ‘steal’ it, she reasons. WHY ELSE would I remove it from the fitting room where she accidentally left it?

Ummm… Because, princess, there are individuals who are not so concerned with the misfortune of others if it results in a windfall for themselves…. and surprise, surprise, these same people frequent retail stores for the express purpose of NOT paying for the things they leave with. A cell phone, even a crappy, outdated little flip-phone like mine, will vanish without a trace so fast your head would spin if found, lying unattended, by such individuals. Your expensive little gadget would make a tempting item, indeed, and would likely fetch more than a couple of dollars to the right person.

And, oh, yeah. If I had been trying to steal it, I doubt I would have been holding it very obviously in my hand, waving it at you. Seems to me a better strategy, if I wanted to steal it, would be to conceal it from view, and deny I'd seen it, WOULDN'T IT?

So forgive me for trying to take steps to ensure you got your property back, you ungrateful little bitch. Is it really so hard to say Thank You?

Ah, who am I kidding? The notion never once crossed your mind, did it? Like, not even once since the day you were hatched.

Quoth CyberLurch View Post

Ah, who am I kidding? The notion never once crossed your mind, did it?
    You're assuming she has a mind. The evidence suggests otherwise.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In the future

If she leaves stuff in there again just throw it out into the trash like you are suppose to do when you clean up a place and find junk that does not belong there or to the company.

Comment

PART II
        So, there have been.... 'repercussions'. Yes, a complaint was lodged with the head office, for attempted theft of a customer's property. Against ME.

I'm honestly astonished that it would be taken this far. Princess got her goddamn phone back. I didn't try to steal it, I didn't try to hide it, I practically put it in her hands when she returned looking for it.

I read the complaint. It's escalated TWO ways, not just with my own managers, but on the 'accusation' side of things. - apparently the person filing the complaint isn't the one I dealt with. The complaint referred to Suburban Princess as 'my daughter'.

Well, I guess I'm well and truly boned now. Princess told a sob story to mommy, who took her word as gospel, and now there's no chance at all of reasoning with anyone.

And that includes my managers, who wanted me to sign documents to the effect that I had been attempting to appropriate a customer's property. They insist that this ISN'T a confession of guilt that they want me to sign. But if I sign papers that acknowledge and validate the allegation I was trying to steal... that sounds an awful lot like a confession to me. And nope, not gonna happen. And I told my bosses that right to their faces.

So, Friday, when the new schedule got posted, I noted that I have exactly TWO hours scheduled next week. The manager insists that the ridiculously short schedule has nothing to so with my refusal to sign their document. Am I alone when I say I don't believe her?

'Furious' does not even begin to describe it. I'm going to stick this right up their asses.

My hatred for people in general has reached a new peak - and frankly, it's been off the scale already for years.

Comment

Reminds me of the beginning of this "War Story". I hope you have a similar triumphant outcome, but to do so you're going to need an attorney. Alas no union is likely involved.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=166
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Constructive dismissal. I'd strongly recommend speaking with an attorney.

Comment

Are there any security cameras?
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Ask the managers to show you the video of that day (before it mysteriously disappears).

Go to the local Labor Board. See if they can help you out -- If so, it's generally either for free or on a percentage/"only if we win" basis.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I am guessing that there are NO cameras. If there were, this would not be an issue.

However, if there are cameras, you NEED to get copies of the videos before they are destroyed.

I am assuming that this a larger chain store. I might suggest that you try climbing the chain of command (district manager?) or contacting HR. Hopefully, someone up top has enough common sense to realize that these managers are trying to get the company sued.
                  Save the Ales!

Comment

This is a ridiculous situation. Find the necessary footage if it exists to exonerate yourself, and if not, then -- tough as it may sound -- you don't want to work for a company that would throw you under the bus like this.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                      Princess told a sob story to mommy, who took her word as gospel, and now there's no chance at all of reasoning with anyone.
                      And people wonder why I use "millennial" as a pejorative and think that generation as a whole is well and truly fucked.

If this is the company I think it is, OP is screwed. Like, totally. Time to start a job search, or step it up if it's already been started.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's no footage anywhere to substantiate ANYTHING. The company is just too damned cheap for surveillance cameras. They're rather eat the ENORMOUS losses due to the rampant shoplifting that takes place in this shit hole.

Of course, I know what this is. It's 'passive dismissal'. They don't have the 'nads to actually fire me (because it would entitle me to a unemployment claim), so they're trying to squeeze me out by slashing my hours. This is by no means my first rodeo.

I'm not going to quit, but neither do I have any illusions that I have any sort of future here. I've a few tricks up my sleeve - ones that will cause more headaches for them than it will for me.

Job search initiated already.

Comment

If you are not getting hours, you can file for under-employment.
                          Save the Ales!

Comment

Suggestions

1) Get a lawyer.

2) Do not sign ***ANY*** paperwork without read every single word.

3) Check if there were any witnesses.

Comment

While I am not convinced that a lawyer would help do to the lack of evidence one way or the other, I do agree that you should !!!NOT!!! sign anything.

Also, do file for unemployment. If your hours have been cut that much, you are now under-employed and potentially eligible for benefits.

Be aware that the unemployment people will contact your employer to verify your cut in hours. This might force your employer to give you more hours to avoid the unemployment ding, or it might just make them fire you.

I wish you much luck with this and have fingers crossed that you find a new job soon. Have you ever considered government work? Your customer service skills are important for a job that includes dealing with unhappy taxpayers.

The best part about government work isn't the stable hours, or the retirement or even the vacation and holidays.

Its the part about having to work under strict rules and regulations. This allows you to say "I am really sorry, but policy doesn't allow that. Yes, you can speak to a supervisor, I'll message one right away, please hold." and then move on knowing that your sup told the person the exact same thing that you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X