This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tanasi
    I would also think a Death Star would be incredibly expensive.
    Right there is one reason movies like that could go over budget. Best to stick with CGI.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

The suicide move wasn't necessarily FTL -- remember, the SW hyperdrive pops people into hyperspace, at least once from a dead stop. On the other hand, the ship could have used the hyperdrive in a fashion that shunts the energy into motion, or prepares for a "normal" jump by boosting to speed.

It probably wouldn't work too well against a target that was maneuvering, or ready to do so; in this case they had a target that was "stopped" relative to them (matching their course), wasn't expecting any such tactic, and (as it turned out) had some internal distractions which might have interfered with responding to the situation.

ETA: Various science fiction authors and sites have evaluated possible future weapons. The general attitude seems to be that in any realistic context, energy weapons and lasers are for the birds -- what you really want against spaceships are missiles with maneuvering and tracking capability, but if you run out of those, basic kinetic weapons are cheapest for the punch. One complication is recoil; another is, it turns out it's really hard to hide a spaceship from an infra-red telescope. Of course, SW is hardly realistic, and the energy bolts seem to come with the ambient technology.
      Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 01-11-2018, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Well, you don't really NEED to use a ship -- a can of ravioli will do the job.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.glenn.3...24876240919055
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
          The suicide move wasn't necessarily FTL -- remember, the SW hyperdrive pops people into hyperspace, at least once from a dead stop.
          To me, the "hyperspace" is just the mechanism for FTL travel. Obviously the ship wasn't completely in some other (bubble?) universe, as it sure as heck interacted with the other ships in the area, so calling it "FTL" will do at least for me.

And the point remains--I hate that the tactic is an insta-kill Deus Ex Machina type of thing. "Oh, push that button and all the bad guys die." Uhh, why didn't they push the button years earlier?

I am sure there will be some sort of explanation, likely having to do with everyone being stationary (relative to each other, I'm guessing) but I still hate that way of resolving things. It's lousy story-telling IMHO.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
            To me, the "hyperspace" is just the mechanism for FTL travel. Obviously the ship wasn't completely in some other (bubble?) universe, as it sure as heck interacted with the other ships in the area, so calling it "FTL" will do at least for me.

And the point remains--I hate that the tactic is an insta-kill Deus Ex Machina type of thing. "Oh, push that button and all the bad guys die." Uhh, why didn't they push the button years earlier?

I am sure there will be some sort of explanation, likely having to do with everyone being stationary (relative to each other, I'm guessing) but I still hate that way of resolving things. It's lousy story-telling IMHO.
            "Everyone stationary" here is part of "caught them off-guard". I'm interpreting this as a tactic that normally, nobody would ever do, but in this case, they had the chance and someone willing to make a suicide run. Even then, it badly damaged the target ship, but did not completely destroy it. It didn't even take out Snoke's section of the ship. In an ongoing fight, any other ships and Tie fighters would have been free to keep beating on any remaining defenders, not to mention maneuvering to avoid any repetitions.

On the other hand, if you want a "superweapon pulled out of nowhere", consider Luke's finale... if a Jedi could do that normally, they'd be unstoppable, so it only makes sense as a "last hurrah".
            Last edited by Mental_Mouse; 01-12-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Yeah, I disliked the "All the stuff you spent the last half-hour doing? All meaningless." And I really hated the end of the escape sequence. Uhh, you mean a ship going light-speed can be a super weapon that kills anything in its way? So why aren't light-speed missiles the most common weapon in the universe? Why didn't the Empire use those on planets instead of the massive Death Star type beams?
              I'm assuming by now everyone commenting on this has seen the movie...

But, spoilers:

The Rose Tico/Finn "mission" was completely unnecessary, and actually made things worse, because "DJ" turned them over to Phasma and the First Order. If they don't go on that mission, the "escape pod" plan that Holdo had would probably have been more successful, and they might have avoided the confrontation with the First Order.

But I suppose without that blown mission, we never would have ended up with "Force Projection" Luke, and Luke becoming a Force ghost.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Also: Apparently (wikipedia) Princess Lea was supposed to be in Ep9, so now they're having to figure out how to write her out. Presumably from mostly offstage, since they already know their CGI of humans isn't quite out of the Uncanny Valley.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                  consider Luke's finale... if a Jedi could do that normally, they'd be unstoppable, so it only makes sense as a "last hurrah".
                  They even set up earlier in the movie that it's a trick that requires a fatal amount of effort. When Kylo and Rey first discovered their Force link, he noted something like "You're not doing this, the effort would kill you."

Further notes about it in spoilers: [ Snoke revealed was doing it, but given all he was doing was linking their minds across space, and only between them, it probably required less effort than what Luke did. Luke had to basically project himself to multiple people, and even to such an extent that C-3PO could see him. ]
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                    Also, PORGS.
                    They were quite cute, but I liked those crystal fox things better.

I enjoyed it, but I think I'll need to see it again. That was an awful lot to take in, I'm sure I missed a few things first time around.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I loved the foxes, too. Would be cool to have one, tho I'm worried petting them would HURT! Besides, what the hell do they eat >_>

Hrm. Maybe I should settle for the plush versions once they come out as part of the merch parade. It...is...inevitable.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        I loved the foxes, too. Would be cool to have one, tho I'm worried petting them would HURT! Besides, what the hell do they eat >_>
                        I would guess that they're born normally furry, and the salt that coated the planet clung to and crystallized on their fur; otherwise, I feel very sorry for foxes giving birth!

What do they eat? Probably rodents. We don't see all of the lifeforms on the various planets.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                          They were quite cute, but I liked those crystal fox things better.

I enjoyed it, but I think I'll need to see it again. That was an awful lot to take in, I'm sure I missed a few things first time around.
                          They were pretty cool. One of the characters did dub them "crystal critters", but it's unclear if that was meant to be a name for them, or a "those things".

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                            What do they eat? Probably rodents.
                            Of course! PORGS! They eat porgs.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              I bought my wife a plush Porg over the weekend...
                              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                                I hear they taste like chicken.
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X