This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know you hate your job ...

... when they send you home an hour early to cut labour costs and you're HAPPY about it.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

...when you see the DM, the Store Manager, and the assistant managers walk by and you begin singing, "Do you hear the people sing..."
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

...when you decide that if the local classic rock station starts playing AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" during your hour-long drive in, you're going to take that as a sign that you should turn around and go home, even if you're in the parking garage looking for a spot.

(Never happened when I was working at that job. :P )
      "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

I actually had Highway to Hell as my alarm on my phone while working at one particular shitty temp job. Thank dog it was only a 3 week job.

Don't work with 2 born again 'Christians' when the manager is Muslim and another co-worker is pagan. Me, the atheist, had to explain Lent to these two fruit loops. They didn't know why you give things up in the 40 days prior to Easter. Add in the fact that I have never met two more homophobic people and it was very frustrating. One of the women had bible verses taped to her desk and would read verses out loud when she would take breaks off the phone. One of the bible verses was the 'not suffer a witch to live' one.

My response was to have 'religion is the grown up version of imaginary friends' quote on the top of my note pad so she would see it every time she came near me. (Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like that.)

And it was all in a government department that had very clear guidelines about religion in the work place. So guess who put in a complaint when the job was finally over? Why yes, that was me. And guess who got disciplinary procedures started against them? That would be the 2 homophobic born again christians. (The pagan lady and I became friends during my time there and we lived about 5 minutes away from each other. She was kind enough to let me know all about the fall out from my complaint.)
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

....when a jury duty summons is good news.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Ooh, I forgot about that one. Same job as my last comment, actually. Alas, no actual jury duty for me...
            "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Got sent home early again today. See my big smile?
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                I actually had Highway to Hell as my alarm on my phone while working at one particular shitty temp job. Thank dog it was only a 3 week job.
                I occasionally blast Steely Dan's "Dirty Work" before I walk into the office for some reason...

You know you hate your job, when you would rather deal with kidney stones again.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The other song I picked up not too long ago was by the Scissor Sisters.

"I can't decide whether you should live or die..."
                  Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I had a job that I would listen to Death on Two Legs by Queen on my drive in. It suited the job. There are some days that it suits my job now.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

When I still worked at the wholesale club, I set the ringtone for the store number to "The Imperial March" from Star Wars, to warn me they were about to attempt to forcibly occupy my freetime.

I can't do that for my current job, since whatever number they call from always comes up as a blocked number, due to it coming from a secure government facility.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                        When I still worked at the wholesale club, I set the ringtone for the store number to "The Imperial March" from Star Wars, to warn me they were about to attempt to forcibly occupy my freetime.

I can't do that for my current job, since whatever number they call from always comes up as a blocked number, due to it coming from a secure government facility.
                        I love that! Should see how to do that on my phone ... whenever I get some money on it again.

Too bad you can't do it anymore.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                          I got one recently. I'm not happy; it's earlier than I have to be at work and I know there's no way I'm making a decision for or against someone I don't know regarding a situation I wasn't involved in. I foresee some kind of fine for refusing to give a verdict or whatever.

But to answer the original question, I can't think of any songs that go with my job but there's a book: 1984.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Here's a song for that.... Sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KByxC7B9WH0
                            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I got one recently. I'm not happy; it's earlier than I have to be at work and I know there's no way I'm making a decision for or against someone I don't know regarding a situation I wasn't involved in. I foresee some kind of fine for refusing to give a verdict or whatever.

But to answer the original question, I can't think of any songs that go with my job but there's a book: 1984.
                              I was in journalism for 20 years ... my last editor told me there is no way on earth I would ever be picked for jury duty because of exactly that.

Curiously, I have never even been given a summons, and I'm 62. Can't help wondering if my name has come up once or twice, and they've managed to check my employment history, and gone, "NOPE, NOT HER!!"
                              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
                              X