Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Saviour of the World is waiting ...

We had a prize in yesterday, oh yes we did ...

The store was pretty busy, not surprising on a Saturday. And here comes a customer wanting a medium-sized dark coffee.

Me: "Oh, I'm sorry, we're just brewing some more now; we had run out. It will only take a couple of minutes."

SC: *frowning* "How many minutes?"

Co-worker: "Two or three."

SC continues to frown. I glance at the counter behind me and see that the coffee is brewing; in fact, some other CW has put a different customer's personal cup underneath the spout and jacked open the pour handle so the coffee is dribbling steadily into the cup (something I have been told not to do. Which is another reason I want to leave here: contradictory orders from pretty much everybody.)

Customer decides on an espresso-based coffee rather than brewed. I mark the cup and set it in the lineup.

I swear, two minutes later she steps back up to the counter in front of me. "Is my drink ready?"

Lady, do I LOOK like I've got anything to do with your drink? Why don't you ask the TWO people who are actually making the drinks ... and who are scrambling to keep up with the orders?

I lean over and grab her cup. "Hey, guys, is this lady's [drink] ready yet?" (It obviously isn't but she can't see that.) The manager quickly makes her drink and the last I saw of her, she was stalking out of the store, her bearing and walk making it clear that she was QUAYTE unhappy at being forced to wait a few minutes for her drink.

Ya know, if your schedule for the day says "Save Civilization As We Know It" and your timeline for doing so is measured in nanoseconds -- maybe you should think twice about stopping for a coffee. Especially when you walk in and see a small mob of customers hanging around the area where you pick up your drinks.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I'd bet this woman complains if she has to wait a couple minutes for hot fries too.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

THIS.

When I had a job (sigh) there was a Tim Horton's across the street. I'd go for a walk on break and on the way back, check inside the store to see how the line was. If there were more than 2 people ahead of me, I'd skip it, because I knew I wouldn't get through the line and make it back to work on time. Crazy, huh?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Yeah. When I go to my PT job, I usually take grab lunch at the Mall before proceeding to work, Until recently, I started work at 12, so I could get in on an 11:15 bus, and grab lunch anywhere on the mall, then walk over to the bookstore. Very informal there, so even if I was a few minutes late (say, a cigarette's worth) no problem.

But late last year, the boss switched me to come in at 1:00. OK, switch to the bus an hour later... but suddenly my lunch schedule doesn't work so well. At 12:15. the best restaurants (in my lunch range) on the Mall are now packed with the lunch rush... I've been switching to the less-busy places, but sometimes they're less busy for good reason.

Comment

Pretty sure I posted this years ago but can't find it.

Back before we had computerized charts in our clinic, the 9:30 and the 9:40 patients arrived simultaneously. Mr. 9:40 could not talk and was turning blue. My assistant threw him in an exam room, I hollered for oxygen and an EKG, and picked up the phone to call 911. The front desk was already on the line, I had picked up the phone before it rang. They said the 9:30 patient was upset and wanted to know when she'd be seen. I said I was a tad busy, hung up, called 911. I went back and tended to the patient until the EMTs got there, gave them what we knew, they roll him out on a gurney. (He survived). My assistant was busy putting away the oxygen and EKG, so I went and got the 9:30 patient. It was now 9:45. She started squalling about having to wait, and that the patient who had the appointment after her was taken before her.

I tossed her chart on the desk and leaned back, crossed my arms, and waited for her to finish. I said "You called at 8:00 and got an appointment at 9:30. You waited all of 15 minutes. I, the doctor, personally brought you back. The reason you had to wait was the person seen out of order before you WAS DYING. I'd like to know what clinic you are used to going to that does better than this, because I'd like to go there myself. I usually wait 30-40 minutes for my doctor."

She shut up with the complaints. And, it turned out, she had had a headache FOUR MONTHS prior, which had gone away and never come back. She felt fine currently, but a friend told her of another friend who had had a similar headache and it turned out to be a brain tumor. She was worried she had a brain tumor. She had a normal exam and I calmly explained that headaches due to brain tumors rarely go away at all, much less for 4 months.
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Heh. That part reminds me of when my GF got careless playing with a cat and it clawed her eye.

We went straight to the local ER, but then had to wait and wait. I asked the receptionist what the holdup was, and she said that they were currently working on someone who was having a heart attack.

I went back to my seat.

(The cat actually scratched my GF along the edge of the eyelid itself, so not in the eye after all. But that required stitches, and evidently the anesthetic didn't work quite right. She was holding my hand as they stitched her back up, and this little "nothing" of a girl just about squeezed my fingers off when they started putting the stitches in!)
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

I used to run across the street on my 15 minute break to the Green Mermaid. I'll admit, I was in a hurry. But I never got mad at the employees. They were never causing the hold up. It was the person who started their order like this "okay, I'll have... a... grande nonfat... vanilla latte. And... oh, what's that? Is that a... blueberry scone? Maybe I'll have it... Um..." THOSE PEOPLE. ARG.

As soon as ordering on the app became available I latched on to it and loved it. I did get some death glares when I breezed in and skipped the line, but hey I wasn't the one slowing things down. In fact, by not having to interact with me at all I think I sped things up.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

While hubby was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX I had food poisoning bad enough I had things coming out of both ends - nice visual I know - so I went to the base ER to see if they could give me something - middle of the night, of course, so no clinics open. While there the ER went into over drive, there was an apartment building fire - a little boy died and his mom was burned. Everyone got shuffled over while they got ready for the mom so they could stabilize her and send her on to the burn unit at Ft. Sam Houston (IIRC). No one complained, which was nice.

Saw the apartment building a week or so later, four story building with no front wall remaining, it was all burned away and you could see into what was remaining of the top three floors.
                Last edited by Cia; 01-23-2018, 03:57 PM.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Back in 2013 our doctor told me to take Turtleguy to the local ER, and when we got there he was taken back right away. No one complained, since it was obvious that he was having a lot of problems breathing. Turtleguy had had pneumonia and had developed a blood clot in one of his lungs. He's on anticoagulation now and is fine.

Comment

On days I volunteer at church, I often stop at the local convenience store for lunch. It's 12:15, long line, and always someone at the front slowly studying the lottery scratch offs. What's this one? What's that one? I'm not in a massive hurry but it's so inconsiderate.

Skeptic53, your patient was an ass and I love your response.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                      It's 12:15, long line, and always someone at the front slowly studying the lottery scratch offs. What's this one? What's that one?
                      It's like that 24/7 at the "Square L" around the corner from work. Every time I'm in there, there's some crackhead staring at the lotto display. Seriously dude, the store has the same tickets that they had yesterday, the day before that, and last week. You come in every day. You should know what's on sale by now. Even worse than the people who can't make up their minds, are the ones that insist on scratching off the tickets, turning in any winners, scratching off *those* ones, and refusing to get out of the damn line. I don't know about you, but the rest of us want to get our caffeine/breakfast, and get on with starting our day
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Even worse are the ones who scratch off their tickets on top of the newspapers, leaving the scratch-off residue littering the headlines. Happens all the time at work.

Comment

Working...
                        X