This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    dang. at that point, frankly it might be easier to reformat/repartition.

tho that in itself is a lot of work too
    Been there, done that with the Gateway desktops my brother and I ran for many years.

He'd download something, couldn't get the PC rebooted and guess what? I'd have to take his computer and try to straighten it out. Or he'd have a virus that Norton couldn't get rid of and it'd stop working. . .

Sometimes it'd straighten out temporarily, other times not so much. That's when I'd have to break out the restore discs and reformat everything and reset back to factory settings.

Then, after running the 3 disc set, next step was reinstall the WiFi software, then Norton and run scans. Then the rest of the programs. It would take on average 3-4 hours for me to get all that done (longer if my brother kept showing his ass and bugging the crap out of me.)

Fun times . . . NOT.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      I recently got hit (not sure how) with Suspicious Cloud 7 PE. Norton just kept throwing up alerts (I ended up with like 500 alerts in a 24 hour period) BUT could/would NOT get rid of the offending file (on disk or in memory).

I ran 2 FULL system scans but Norton would/could not find the file or get rid of it.
      The really serious virus makers actually write their nastiness to work around the big 3 active antivirus programs. I've even seen a couple try to stop MalwareBytes too, but that is fortunately rare so far.
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I just started to get alert messages from Norton Internet Security that I MUST uninstall MBAM as it is incompatable with Norton. I have the free version of MBAM and I have to manually run updates and scans. this version of MBAM does not run in background.

FUCK THAT SHIT!!!

I do wonder though if Norton was corrupted somehow.

I am considering buying the full paid version of MBAM after my recent brush with some malware.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

A lot of the big retail antivirus softwares will complain about MBAM being incompatible, even though it's been proven to NOT conflict if you're using the free version.

The reason? The big name publishers are afraid of their software missing a piece of malware, then you running MBAM and finding it and deleting it easily. They don't want to run the risk of MBAM "showing up" their software.

Comment

sld - You're most likely correct, but I would imagine that it's also the simple, real world fact that they have zero control over what another company does with THEIR software and how well it plays with others...Symantec products, in particular, do not like to share their toys ~_~
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ... do not like to share their toys ~_~
              With any user applications... or the operating system.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I seriously avoid Norton products now, which is sad. After having Norton Antivirus and Commander on my 3.1/DOS 6 machine, it's sad to see how far they've fallen.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                  Norton had some good software at one time--efficient, and it did the job. Then Symantec took over...and all of that went to shit. After having too many issues at work, I refuse to use it, and will uninstall it if it comes on a new computer. Why is it, that their software, designed to prevent crashes...actually causes them?
                  I used use Norton AntiVirus or whatever they called their business version what that was part of my job. Every upgrade wid had gave us more and more problems when before we could configure it once and forge it most of the time. Eventually we had multiple problems each week.

Finally we ditched it for the McAfee SaaS thing. Not my favorite, but a million times better.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    I just started to get alert messages from Norton Internet Security that I MUST uninstall MBAM as it is incompatable with Norton. I have the free version of MBAM and I have to manually run updates and scans. this version of MBAM does not run in background.

FUCK THAT SHIT!!!
                    For a while, I was using McAfee, and they changed their update process to REQUIRE the use of Internet Explorer with ActiveX enabled in order to download the updates. At that time, there were DIRE warnings to NOT run IE with AX unless you ABSOLUTELY needed it because it would open a large number of security holes.

My rule of thumb for when one piece of security software gives the ultimatum "It's either (other security measure I'm using) or me!" - find an alternative to the one making the demand. Hello AVG.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X