This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Ralph Baer

Another one from the "never heard of him" file. Ralph Baer, the father of the video game (would you believe he built his first "game box" back in 1966 - when the "guts" of virtually all TV sets were still based on vacuum tubes?), has died at age 92.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I was very sad to hear about this. I actually got to meet Mr. Baer last year after he contacted the antique radio club I belong to. A group of us met with him at his house for a couple of hours, during which he talked about his days in the radio and TV repair industry, his service in WWII, the companies he went to work for after the war, and the many things he'd designed.

He then showed us the room where he keeps examples of the numerous toys and other devices he'd invented. We also got to see a replica of his original "Brown Box" prototype (the original, along with his paperwork and other prototypes, is in the Smithsonian), of which he had several built for museum displays. I then played a game of "TV Tennis" against him, and handily got schooled by the master!

All in all, it was one of the highlights of my life to have been able to meet such a fascinating individual. He was very gracious, and even signed the top of my Odyssey 300 console (a later version of the original Odyssey system he designed). I am grateful for all that he did, and truly feel privileged to have been able to meet him.

RIP, Mr. Baer.
    -Adam
    Goofy music!
    Old tech junk!

Comment

Working...
    X