This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old ladies and myself, all rude

Go to coffee shop today at lunch some guys on my crew come too, two old ladies sitting at the window so they obviously see me get out of the work truck, in my work clothes, with the guys I work with. When I get in line it`s quite long and winding past the tables so I get to stand there and listen to them going on about me

`She should be at home looking after babies, in my day women didn`t to work like that, it`s not very lady-like, she should be taking care of her family`blah blah blah
    I also have some tattoos including one on my wrist that is visible even with winter clothes on
    `and she has a tattoo, these young ladies getting tattoos, it's one of those trend things, people used to get tattoos to mark very special accomplishments, now they just get tattoos willy nilly`blah blah blah

so I snapped, turned to them and loudly said

'I USED to be lucky enough to be able to stay and look after my baby until his father died and I had to go back to work to support my family, but at least I got a great tattoo to commemorate his life so I can always be reminded of what a great husband and father he was, and in MY DAY we were taught not to judge a book by it`s cover, and treat others as we would like to be treated!`

And stormed out to the truck in a most unlady-like fashion. I don`t know why I thought making them feel like jerks would make me feel better (it didn`t) or why I thought I could take out my crappy day on them, because that`s no better than what they were doing, but at least everybody who witnessed my little outburst got to see the name of the company I work for plastered all over the truck I got into

One of the guys bought me a coffee though, so that was nice.
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Oh, fuck those old bats.

There are some really awful newer trends of recent years, but women working and tattoos are not two of them. At all.

Now, those flat billed hat wearing kids with shaggy hair screaming "Yolo!".....they need to be ashamed of themselves.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
      `She should be at home looking after babies, in my day women didn`t to work like that, it`s not very lady-like, she should be taking care of her family`blah blah blah
      I would have turned to them and said, "It's not 1954 anymore, you know."

Comment

I'm glad you gave them what they deserved and I'm sure everyone within earshot thought the same! Go you!!!
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

And to think that their parents included Rosie the Riveter and her real-world counterparts.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Unless you were screaming at the top of your lungs, cursing every second word, or throwing things, I don't see how you could even be accused of being impolite. It's perfectly okay to defend yourself and not be a doormat.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              Huzzah! I think I like you - that sort of stuff needs to be said to old judgmental biddies who think nothing of belittling you like that.
              Quoth mathnerd View Post
              It's perfectly okay to defend yourself and not be a doormat.
              What they both said. The judgmental old hags were the ones being rude, not you. What gave them the right to gossip about a total stranger? One who had done nothing at all to them?! I say good for you for putting them in their place and giving them the attitude adjustment they desperately needed.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                ...I don't see how you could even be accused of being impolite.
                If being on this site has taught me one thing, it's that the more rude and foul a customer is, the higher the likelihood that they will see themselves as the calm/collected sane ones, and anyone who deals with them politely as the rude ones. A warped version of transference, I suppose.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

They've been fortunate that their lives were so charmed that they never had to consider a job to make ends meet. Pity them, for they have had nothing to flavor their lives, so they must gossip about others to give them the drama and scope of emotions that they will never experience first hand.

That doesn't mean you have to take their crap though. It's wrong and should be called out,
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Good for you for standing up for yourself! Their behavior was out of line, but I see nothing wrong with yours.
                    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Well I'm pretty sure they thought I was being rude, even if no one else did. Have you ever seen a young kid trying dill pickles for the first time? They looked just like that, only purpler. I don't think they called the company on me though, nobody said anything this morning, so unless boss asked one of the guys I was with what happened and decided he didn't care, I should have heard about it.

I wasn't yelling, cursing or throwing things, but was definitely projecting my voice well, hopefully no one else at the shop thought it was too rude.
                      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I think it was a necessary moment of catharsis.
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Polite =/= doormat. You can be firm and passionate and still be polite. You were definitely not rude, regardless of what anybody else might think.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

You did nothing wrong at all. Besides that they are so wrong on many levels. You may not even have had children. What if you were one of those who longs for them but could not have them? The old bats comments would have cut right to your core even more. What right did they have to assume such things? Besides, back in "their day" things like marital rape and beating your wife were basically ok. So, sure, by all means, let them live back then. I think I'll stay here thanks.

Comment

Wait, wait, hang on. You were working, yes? Earning money, yes? Money used to pay bills, rent, buy food and clothes yes?

Then you're taking care of your family. Those old bats were obviously so sad and unsatisfied with their lives that they had to try tear a complete stranger down to feel better about themselves. And I'm glad you stood up to them.
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                              X