This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have discovered my Super Power

And it is the ability to predict astounding stupidity seconds before it happens, while driving. Also I told my dad thank you for his driving lessons. He was the one who taught the valuable look ahead for anything, even further than you think you need to. Evidence for my discovery:

(also, we drive on the left hand side here in NZ )

1) Not sure if I posted this before, I'll re-summarize it here. I'm driving along a street I had right of way the whole time, every other intersecting street is a give-way or stop sign. I see a car ahead on a side road (on my right) pull up to his stop sign, his left hand indicator on. He then promptly pulls out straight, not turning. We come to a stop with under a meter between our bumpers. I proceed to very angrily and vehemently question his intelligence, parentage and general relativity to the human race. Our windows were both closed, but by the shade of white his face went, I think he got the jist of it.

In hindsight, I realised I'd mentally thought "hes going to be an idiot", and had already let off the gas before it happened. Didn't know what he was going to do, just that it was going to be stupid.

2) I really don't want to be testing this super power often. This time, I'm driving along the motorway (100km/h section) in the far right lane (closest to centre road divider). I see a car in the lane next to me, a few feet infront (so, no room for someone to pull from that lane into my lane infront of me), and two cars merging off the onramp one in front of him one behind. Yet again I see the one at the back and think "oh crap their gonna be a dumbass" and let off the gas. Sure enough, they indicate to merge and promptly zoom straight over the lane they were merging into and cut me off (almost drove me into the wall if I hadn't been ready for them). I hit the horn and the driver jumped, they hadn't looked and had no clue I was there.
    This was about two weeks ago.

3) This is more recent again. Residential, so 50km/h max. I see a guy rolling slowly out of a driveway, and can tell he A) cant see my lane clearly and B) is not worried about this fact. And again, he just pulls out and I have to hit the brakes.

Theres been one other, but It wasn't as major or scary. And every time, after its happened, I've noticed I realised they were going to be a dumbass almost subconciously and already let of the gas, or had my foot ready to brake.

Can I please trade this out, along with the situtations I need it, and get a better super power. Like being able to make chocolate milk out of thin air?
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Regarding your second example... People are so terrible at merging, it's almost not a prediction that they are going to suck, it's a fact.

Just today I had some idiot in a luxury SUV cut me off. There's an intersection with a light, then not too far after the light, the right lane ends. As in, it merges with the left lane. I'm second in line at the light, in the left lane. Light turns green, SUV idiot is not paying attention, and I end up about a car length ahead. Then he PUNCHES it, and squeezes in front of me. There was plenty of room behind me. Asshole.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My dad once owned a car where if you pushed on the steering wheel the horn would blow. It worked great for these situations as he automatically braced and it would beep for him. XD

Comment

Regarding the second example, we have an on-ramp here where every time, I expect someone to pull some stupid shit.

It's a sharp curve and a short on-ramp, so some vehicles have trouble getting up to speed (really needs a redesign, imho). Inevitably, someone behind them will get impatient and cut onto the interstate across BOTH lanes, cutting everyone with right-of-way off.

When I see a huge line-up of cars trying to merge at this particular ramp, I simply expect to get cut off and brace myself to hit the brakes. Because it's simply a fact that you'll get cut off there.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

When my grandfather was teaching me to drive, he advised me to simply assume the other guy is stupid, insane, AND out to get me.

Turned out to be very good advice when I moved to California.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            simply assume the other guy is stupid
            This. So much this. Alongside what my Dad taught me (he was a driver in the RNZAF, had almost every license possible at one point) I take the approach when driving that everyone on the road is a raging moron. Not that I'm great or perfect myself, simply that they are idiots and I need to be aware.

My friends are entertained when I'm driving. I get annoyed by wilful stupidity, but at work I have to be nice to people that are like that (please note, not people that don't understand IT, just people who choose to be dumb about IT). When i'm driving I dont. So I'm rather vocal about my displeasure at their idiocy
            "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
            Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I taught my daughter to not only watch the car in front of her, but the car in front of it, too. Too many people only focus on what's right in front of them. This was in between teaching her other things and her yelling, "That's ILLEGAL mom!" Sometimes by the book isn't the best way.
              You can't take the sky from me...

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                When my grandfather was teaching me to drive, he advised me to simply assume the other guy is stupid, insane, AND out to get me.

Turned out to be very good advice when I moved to California.
                On that I will agree. and I only did like 4 weeks total in LA and SF

BUT when driving around the Chicago area at 2am on a weeknight and it looks and feels like rushhour ...........
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                  ... get a better super power. Like being able to make chocolate milk out of thin air?
                  Dunno if that's a good idea. Next idiot pulls out and *you'll* be the chocolate milk... (adjust latte level to correlate with melanin)
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My ex was terrible at merging and changing lanes. He'd never look! He was also a panicky driver, with his eyes all over the place, looking for hazards... except when merging and changing lanes... yep. I always hated going anywhere in the car with him. Scariest time was when he decided to go into a different lane... right into the path of an oncoming lorry. The driver slammed his brakes on that hard you could smell burning rubber, and the sound their horns make, especially when you've got the driver holding it down... scary! He ended up missing the back of our car by inches.

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                      I take the approach when driving that everyone on the road is a raging moron.
                      Very much this. Everyone driving slower than you is an idiot. Everyone driving faster than you is a maniac.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
                        Sure enough, they indicate to merge and promptly zoom straight over the lane they were merging into and cut me off (almost drove me into the wall if I hadn't been ready for them). I hit the horn and the driver jumped, they hadn't looked and had no clue I was there.
                        Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Regarding your second example... People are so terrible at merging, it's almost not a prediction that they are going to suck, it's a fact.
                        Some years back, I was westbound on I80 in New Jersey, a few miles from I95. I had over 40,000 pounds in the trailer, had FINALLY got up to speed, and was in the right lane. Car comes down an on-ramp at barely half my speed (merge lane was long enough that he could have pulled in behind me with no problems - late at night so no other traffic). Instead, he immediately pulls in front of me. I hit the brakes and pull into the second lane, at which point he cuts me off AGAIN - brake some more and pull into the third lane. By this time, with my braking and his acceleration, he was FINALLY going faster than I was. Naturally, it took me a LONG time to regain my lost speed.

Moron nearly got himself killed.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I highly recommend driving with your headlights on at ALL times. Since I've started doing this, far fewer cars have tried to merge into me.
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                            I highly recommend driving with your headlights on at ALL times. Since I've started doing this, far fewer cars have tried to merge into me.
                            My "chicken lights" (whole row of lights under the door and sleeper) were on, but that didn't stop a Lexus (incident I've mentioned previously) changing lanes into me.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

From my neck of the woods. Car cuts off semi, a whole bunch of nonsense occurs.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                              X