Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoever came up with those names must have spent too much time partying with Tim Benzedrino.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth the lawsmeister View Post
      I had my third call from them yesterday. Its getting annoying, not because they've called but every time they call I'm either heading out or putting the kids to bed and I don't have time to stay on the phone and mess with them
      They called me again last night and I finally had time to mess with them. I told the caller she sounded sweet and asked what time she got off work so we could meet up. She hung up on me.
      Yes I know that isn't cool and is really creepy (and I have never treated a legitimate telemarketer like that regardless of what they are selling) but if you're going to actively and consciously try to defraud me then all bets are off and I'm going to be a total prick to you.
      Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

At our previous address we got one of these calls. I got bored of him and switched to speaking Welsh in the middle of a sentence.

A load of repetitions of "I don't understand you" and ""you're a liar" in welsh and i got bored again and hung up.

He called back!

Repeat.

He called back, with his manager there! The manager kept saying "I know you speak English, you were doing it before"

I switched back to English, told them off for bothering me and hung up, they never called back.

Kept me entertained for a while though.

Comment

My personal favorite for those guys is BSing that I'm doing what they ask, then when they tell me to go to a website (don't by the way, its virus-laden with nasty ones), I keep telling them I'm getting 501 errors, or a message saying that the hosting company is blocking this website for reported illegal activities. Its really entertaining hearing their keyboards go mad trying to figure out what's going on.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Golden Phoenix View Post
            At our previous address we got one of these calls. I got bored of him and switched to speaking Welsh in the middle of a sentence.

A load of repetitions of "I don't understand you" and ""you're a liar" in welsh and i got bored again and hung up.

He called back!

Repeat.

He called back, with his manager there! The manager kept saying "I know you speak English, you were doing it before"

I switched back to English, told them off for bothering me and hung up, they never called back.

Kept me entertained for a while though.
            Should've gone back-n-forth. Maybe make it sound like you barely understand english yourself. I know just enough spanish to do that. I'd do it using some cheesy movie-mexican voice. If they happened to know spanish, I'd tell them "I no speak the español," still in the same accent.
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              My personal favorite for those guys is BSing that I'm doing what they ask, then when they tell me to go to a website (don't by the way, its virus-laden with nasty ones), I keep telling them I'm getting 501 errors, or a message saying that the hosting company is blocking this website for reported illegal activities. Its really entertaining hearing their keyboards go mad trying to figure out what's going on.
              I, being a tech, have been wondering what to do when they eventually call me. I think I may borrow some of this. Maybe I'll throw in a 404. (Or better yet, a "419 error, I think it may be from a server in Nigeria...")
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

I just keep agreeing with them. 'Yes I know, last time I checked windows said I had 645 errors. Yes that is a lot. No, I don't think they need fixed, it is still running fine, when it stops running I'll call you. No, I am happy to keep my errors for now, thanks.' Most of them hang up but one was really persistent, so I finally asked what the goal of the conversation was. After much go around about the 'errors' I found out why Microsoft cares if I have errors.

I am pleased to announce I can tell you the real reason they are calling: to prevent people from buying pirated copies of windows off the internet after their original operating system fails.

When I agreed never to do that they finally stopped calling me. (And I'm no expert but even if you wipe your virus laden computer do you not still 'own' one copy of windows you can put back on it?)
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                  When I agreed never to do that they finally stopped calling me. (And I'm no expert but even if you wipe your virus laden computer do you not still 'own' one copy of windows you can put back on it?)
                  Sort of. You actually own a license to use a particular version of Microsoft Windows Operating System. Your license is that string of letters and numbers that comes with the software CD, or pasted on your PC somewhere.

But yes, the phone people are full of road apples.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                    I am pleased to announce I can tell you the real reason they are calling: to prevent people from buying pirated copies of windows off the internet after their original operating system fails.
                    Oh that reminds me of when I worked Software retail. Microsoft just launched their "Genuine Product" system (essentially a periodic verification check if you're online). For three months straight we had people coming,telling the same story about how their copy of Windows locked them out. Every time they were asked where they got it, they responded they downloaded it off the net, and we promptly replied with essentially "you got busted and you're going to have to get a genuine copy now". with absolutely no sympathy.

I kept hearing that there were people hit with false positives with that system and I'm sure there were, but I never met one.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                      I kept hearing that there were people hit with false positives with that system and I'm sure there were, but I never met one.
                      I have. It happened to a friend, who always calls me with any computer-related issues. In her case, all I had to do was re-enter the product key on the label that was attached to her machine, and she was good to go. Not sure what to make of that.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I've had it happen to me when I updated Frankie. Had to call in and go through a 15 min phone call to put in a huge string of characters.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          We have one machine at work that is throwing out "this is not genuine" on a daily basis. Even if I enter the code, it still doesn't work. Computer works fine otherwise. Of course, I'm not exactly in a hurry to fix it--Windows XP support from Micro$haft ends in April.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

It is a security feature of the windows software, whenever you make a major upgrade to your computer such as changing your motherboard/cpu/etc, it will "dial home" to make sure the copy is still legit.
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Hmm. I'm getting random calls now from Minneapolis. The first time was around 3am. I was awake, fortunately for them, playing video games. I stared at my phone in confusion, didn't recognize the number, and answered it.

J2K: "Hello?"
                              Them: "Hi, I'm [name] from [something] Security. Am I speaking to Tom?"
                              J2K: "No."
                              Them: "Oh. My apologies. Good night."

I didn't realize where they were located, but the following day, my phone was on silent because I'd been at the movies, and I see a missed call, from the same area code. A quick Google search later told me the 617 area code was in Minneapolis. They'd even left a voice message.

Yup, it was for Tom Wotzisname again. Which I don't understand because my voicemail message very clearly states "Hi, you've reached the mailbox for Jay Winger, please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thank you."

While Jay Winger is not the name I give (I use my real name), it does not sound at all like Tom Wotzisname. So I don't understand why they bothered to leave a message for him.

I did not call them back. I just deleted the message. If I get another call for Tom Wotzisname again, I may call them up, just to let them know "Hey, I don't know who this guy you've been trying to reach is, but you've been calling my personal cell phone. Take me off your list."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                                While Jay Winger is not the name I give (I use my real name), it does not sound at all like Tom Wotzisname. So I don't understand why they bothered to leave a message for him.
                                I'd guess it's a bill collector. I've had a series of them calling me for some time, asking for "James or John Something". Sorry, no James here, no John, this isn't the Something household, etc.

The most recent call, I spoke with the agent. James or John Something apparently live in my apartment complex. I'm not entirely sure how in the hell they have my number to give out, and I sure as hell don't know them. (~400 units in this complex.)
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X