This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellulitis hell

So last Thursday I noticed a lump on my inner thigh was starting to hurt, and by Saturday it was a whole swollen area that was extremely painful. By Saturday night it was leaking fluid and blood. I went into urgent care Sunday morning and found out, as i suspected, that it was cellulitis and now I'm on antibiotics. IT's getting better but damn this is some serious pain, and does it ever come on fast! I never experienced this before and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, death would be better I swear to god. The skin in that area is still thrashed, and it's taking way longer to heal than it did to blow up on me.

Ugh.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

You have my sympathy. My late mother had cellulitis down the front of both legs between knees and ankles.

Keep an eye on it; my mum's case was so bad she ended up with permanent scarring and was on a low dose of antibiotics for the rest of her life. She ended up with "scales" that had to be creamed regularly or the skin would peel off in chunks; with the discolouration (the scarring was very nearly black) we used to joke that she looked like she was turning into a dragon!
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I had it when I was 16 and had just started my first-ever job (so of course I didn't want to call in sick). I worked through the pain for like 3 days and ended up having to be off work for 3 days. I should have gone in at once but I had no idea what it was.

When the doctor walked in and saw my leg, the first thing he said was, 'Eww."
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Ow, my sympathies!

I had a friend who had that on the side of his nose. Supposedly X-ray treatments he'd had as a teen in the 60s, for acne, had something to do with that happening years later.

My sister had it on her foot a couple years ago when she burned it by spilling very hot water on it. I hope yours feels better fast!
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks all. Greek Jester's story is a little scary. I hope it doesn't end up like that! It actually was weird today, it started losing a bunch of fluid again BUT the pain has gotten better. SO I dunno. I am using all my sick hours to recover from this thing, but because of the way my schedule works I only miss three days of work even though I'll be out from Sunday to the following Monday.

I really have no idea how this even started.

Comment

I don't really even understand what it is but I'm sorry. Skin conditions are really disruptive.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
              Greek Jester's story is a little scary. I hope it doesn't end up like that!
              I don't think you have to worry unless your kidneys die and you're carrying half your body weight in retained water, to the point you have skin splitting and weeping water blisters on your legs. When you combine that with being an insulin dependent diabetic it's amazing she had all her fingers and toes when she passed away.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Good lord I'm so sorry Greek. No it's not that bad thankfully. In fact it's finally stopped hurting so much and new skin is healing on it. I'm almost done with the antibiotics. It's so nice to not be in pain!!

Comment

I hope you feel better, OP.

My Mom had cellulitis flare-ups almost yearly, and these complicated prevented the healing process when she broke her kneecap a few years ago.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                    No it's not that bad thankfully. In fact it's finally stopped hurting so much and new skin is healing on it.
                    This is going to sound odd, but rub olive oil into the skin. It helps to keep the skin supple and actually feeds it, which helps the healing. I noticed a big difference when I used it after my 2nd wrist op.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      This is going to sound odd, but rub olive oil into the skin. It helps to keep the skin supple and actually feeds it, which helps the healing. I noticed a big difference when I used it after my 2nd wrist op.
                      Hmmm interesting idea, I do have LOTS of olive oil since it's all I cook with. I'll try that next time, but for now it healed up finally on the surface, and the inner weird hard lump that was huge is now almost gone too. Pain free. Damn that was not a fun process and I"m hoping it doesn't happen to me again. Can't figure out how it there the first time!

Comment

Slight addition, don't apply to open or seeping wounds! Works best on scarred or newly healed skin that is still a little fragile.

Comment

That makes total sense! The thought of oil on my skin makes me queasy a little but we'll see

Comment

You don't need to use a lot, just enough to rub into the skin. If it starts trickling down then you've used too much.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                              You don't need to use a lot, just enough to rub into the skin. If it starts trickling down then you've used too much.
                              Oh trust me it won't ever do that

I have a problem with oily textures. It would be very little.

Comment

Working...
                              X