This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question ....

Does anybody know how long the protection of an alcohol wipe lasts on such things as elevator buttons? In terms of killing germs, I mean.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Alcohol dries almost instantly, so it won't last that long.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Pretty much any alcohol-based sterilizer is going to be a 1-shot. It'll take out what's there, but not do a thing for what comes in moments after it dries.
      Similar deal with most sprays and such.

Comment

Thanks, folks, that's what I thought. I live in an apartment building catering to seniors (you have to be 50 or more just to get in). There is no COVID-19 in my city (yet) but there is still some frazzlement among residents (understandable, since some do have breathing or other health issues).

One woman was complaining that [Previous Caretaker] used to wipe down the buttons on the elevator at least once daily. I said that the only way that would help would be if somebody wiped it down everytime somebody pushed a button ... and with 20 units per floor and 14 floors ... that's a LOT of button-pushing.

The woman insisted that no, wiping it down a few times a day would serve the purpose.

I suggested she carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with her and use it when she uses the elevator, but apparently that wasn't acceptable.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Taking care of hygiene and cleanliness... PERSONALLY? Have you gone MAD?

Still, for something to be effective for only a couple applications a day, it's not likely to be pleasant for hands OR the elevator.

The alternative would be have someone posted in the elevator who did all the button pushing (and was properly gloved/masked/precautioned up). Yeah, we all know that isn't going to happen either.

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
            Does anybody know how long the protection of an alcohol wipe lasts on such things as elevator buttons? In terms of killing germs, I mean.
            That's easy. It works until some more germs come along.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Wiping the buttons (and ideally the rest of the elevator) down regularly does indeed serve a purpose epidemiologically, especially since if not washed off regularly, this one can survive weeks on a surface.
              It's not a complete plan of defense, but that sort of thing can trim down the infection numbers early on. Of course once the epidemic actually hits, it'll be spitting into the wind.

Comment

Working...
              X